Horse boxes.. Possibly a daft question?

Elsiecat

Visit site
Looking at a horsebox where the owner has said it's suitable for two larger horses (16.2) and a smaller pony. They said they regularly take a 16.2 and 2 14.2s in it.
They reckon my horses (16.3 tb, 16.1 tb and 11.2 welshie) would definitely fit comfortably in, but mentioned that I should work out whether I'd be over the weight limit.
Will they have an official document or something stating the payload?
Lorry is a 7.5 tonne with very basic living so I personally couldn't imagine we'd be close to the limit?

Numpty question, I know :eek:

Holly Hocks

Visit site
3.5t boxes often get criticised for having a low payload, but 7.5t can be just as bad - as they tend to have more living in and are generally made from heavier materials. I would want to see a weighbridge certificate - and a recent one at that. Good luck!

Spottyappy

Visit site
If they do not have an official weight certificate,they or you can take it to a local weigh bridge to obtain one. My local one charges about £10,last time I used it.
Hope that helps.

Elsiecat

Visit site
Where do I find a weigh bridge? Do I ask at my local feed store or factory to use theirs or are these places specifically for the paying use of the public?
Daft I know but it's not like buying a car is it :eek:

zaminda

Visit site
They may have documentation to show its unladen weight. Baring that, I would ask to take it to a weigh bridge prior to parting with any money. Our lorry would take your three, so unless it is rather large, I would have thought you should be ok. Best to check though, I got caught out with my last lorry, which was supposed to be a 3.5t, but was a touch on the large side!

cptrayes

Visit site
Glasonite weighs a ton if the walls have been made with that (most smart paint jobs are glasonite based).

Many yards selling gravel and stuff have a weighbridge that you can pay to use.

Louby

Visit site
I googled weigh bridge and the area and it brought up quite a few. Council tips often have a weighbrifge too. Mine cost me £5 and was open 24hrs a day!

mutley75

Visit site
Any local quarry, wast transfer station, scrap dealer etc will have a weigh bridge, they normally charge £10 to give you a ticket. also most councils have a public weigh bridge. Remembr each axle has a max weight so might be under weight but over on front or back axle. Remember to ask to be weighed while you are still sitting in it! Remember I could get you a ticket having taken out all the partitions be nearly empty of diesel, taken out the rubber floor and any thing else that can be removed easily to make the payload higher. By getting the ticket when I am in the office I add 100kg to payload( diet starts tomorrow !).

Elsiecat

Visit site
Going seeing box tomorrow, if I like I shall be going back with a mechanic. If its still good at that point, do I then ask to go to the weighing bridge with them? Can I safely assume I need no more than 2 tonnes?

Elsiecat

Visit site
Btw I have no idea how mug my horses weight! Assuming about 1100 tops for the tbs and 350 max for the welshie? So 1450 absolute tops for the horses?

Grinchmass

Visit site
Do I remember you saying you where near Chester? If so I think there's a weigh bridge by the queensferry roundabout by saughall, near powey lane as if your driving towards Cheshire oaks...

My directions are shockingly s*** but hopefully it may give you some idea...

Feel free to pm me and will try talk in less of a riddle :D

Elsiecat

Visit site
So what payload would you advise I be after? Sorry maths isn't my kingdom and I don't want to get my guesstimates wrong!

Grinchmass

Visit site
Yep that's the one, i'm sure I've driven past it and seen a sign post. You must be really close to me.

I've just realised its the end of the m56, so if it's local you could ask to have it taken there.

Haven't a clue about oppening times, but there should be something around there with some info!

Elsiecat

Visit site
We must be! Where are you?
Not that local probably about 15 mins maybe a bit more in a lorry but that's hardly far is it!

juliette

Visit site
When we went to a weigh bridge with my friends lorry we were horrified to find with 3 loaded we were overweight. Her lorry was coach built and with no horses on board it was around 6 tonnes. Don't forget full fuel tank, full water tank all add to the weight......

Louby

Visit site
Good luck with your viewing.
You are wise to go to the weighbridge as I think most 7.5t arent capable of carrying 3 horses, 3 ponies maybe, except the newer ones like the Kevin Parker ones. I had a basic conversion that came in at 5.2t, I recon that would just have scraped through with basic kit on board. It had a very basic day living.
Think about diesel, water tanks, passengers, tack etc and it soon adds up.
My last wagon had all the mod cons but weighed 6,3t!! Ok for me, I had one horse. Fingers crossed for you.

Elsiecat

Visit site
But what would be the point in making a 7.5 tonne horse tall enough and spacious enough for 3 if its capable of 3 Shetlands at a push!? Madness!!!!

We are very close then yes! I hate driving through the resident lake sized puddle as you enter saughall!

Grinchmass

Visit site
Yep, saughall floods quite easily, but I go through the bacon end as I'm coming from Chester, so it's not too bad. Where abouts are you?

And yep seems like madness to have a 7.5t box with space for 3 but a rediculously small payload! You can end up with a bigger payload in a trailer by the sounds of it! No good for 3 though!

mutley75

Visit site
Because it is a 3 stall!! As long as it is under weight empty, buck stops with driver! If you want to over load it the man that sold it to you did not hold a gun to your head!!

Louby

Visit site
Yes it is madness, but they do it. I dont think weight was much of an issue years ago.
I heard of a wagon that weighed nearly 7t unladen, so basically capable of carrying the passengers!
Ive also heard of one company asking for disclaimers to be signed re the weight.
Its like the 3.5t lorrys being sold as capable of carrying 2x 16.2hh, they cant.
When I sold my first lorry, the payload sold it, it was the most boring looking wagon but I had calls from the other end of the country as it could 'just' carry 3 and those ringing said they couldnt find any legally able too.

Elsiecat

Visit site
Yes it is madness, but they do it. I dont think weight was much of an issue years ago.
I heard of a wagon that weighed nearly 7t unladen, so basically capable of carrying the passengers!
Ive also heard of one company asking for disclaimers to be signed re the weight.
Its like the 3.5t lorrys being sold as capable of carrying 2x 16.2hh, they cant.
When I sold my first lorry, the payload sold it, it was the most boring looking wagon but I had calls from the other end of the country as it could 'just' carry 3 and those ringing said they couldnt find any legally able too.

God knows what people with actual large horses do! :(
I'm not looking for anything fancy. Just some seating in the living and a payload for my 3. None are particularly big horses.
Didn't know this would be such a minefield :(

Happytohack

Visit site
Google public weighbridge. Take lorry there and take into account driver's weight, how much diesel is in the tank etc. Take away weigbridge weight from 7.5 tonne and you have your payload! I had a 7.5 tonne built and it actually weighed over 6 tonne, so the payload was very little.

Elsiecat

Visit site
Yep, saughall floods quite easily, but I go through the bacon end as I'm coming from Chester, so it's not too bad. Where abouts are you?

And yep seems like madness to have a 7.5t box with space for 3 but a rediculously small payload! You can end up with a bigger payload in a trailer by the sounds of it! No good for 3 though!

Daft isn't it!!! Why say "3 horse" if the horses have to be miniatures :eek:

I'm from Denbigh way :)