Horse breakfast and mice proof covers

Gingerwitch

Visit site
As a above, farm cat looks like has gone AWOL or farm has furloughed her (seriously she has had kittens and yard owners are keeping her in to spay her when the time is right) so I used to give breakie when i went up, i would mix and feed.
Now having to leave breakfast for yard to give and they like the food to just pop in.
Mouse family is loving this, have tried a couple of covers but they pop off or rise up over the handles.
Horses all have big heads so I do need a sensible size bucket.
Anyone got any suggestions that wont be to much of a faff in a morn ?
Have tried stacking and putting empty bucket on top but they are still getting in. Feed cupboard is okay when food is running down but wont fit otherwise.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
when I had assisted livery I used to leave breakfasts in old supplement tubs with lids on, and yard would tip into buckets left in the stables.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
when I had assisted livery I used to leave breakfasts in old supplement tubs with lids on, and yard would tip into buckets left in the stables.
I thought over that and then realised that i have loads of tubs and no lids until I use this lot up. I gave them to the yard kids for a rainbow they were foing for the NHS..... argh

jnb

Visit site
I use the Bailey's Treat tubs labelled AM & PM
Sad (ish) memory... these still say "Becks AM" & "Becks PM" - my old cob's name, in the same way my horsey Bank Account is called "Becks Account" and I can't bear to change it :(

HeyMich

Visit site
Measure out the feeds into large zip-lock bags (like the large size ones you can get from ikea) and leave them to be tipped into the empty buckets. If the feed is dry, you should be able to re-use the bags time and time again. If the mice nibble through the plastic, you could always reinforce the bags with gaffer tape, or similar??

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
We had this problem with mice and we now put everyone's feeds in a bin with a lid. As in just stacked up on top of each other in their bowls but in the bin.

adamntitch

Visit site
What type of feed buckets do you use have seen hard plastic lids that fit right on top and have wee wings that go in handles

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I have the hard plastic lids with wings and they still somehow managed to get in! They’re determined little beggars.

the only thing that really stopped them was using a bin and getting cats.

Same here.
I bought a bucket cosi, which is padded and insulated. It seemed to work well, although I don't leave feeds overnight as a rule.