Horse buying... how / when did you know you were bringing that one home?

ShadowFlame

Visit site
More curiosity :eek: But what was it that swung it for you? Was there a "lightbulb" moment, were you sold from the start, were you still unsure when you finally went for it?

Why did you choose the one you did? :)

[100855]

Visit site
Only had her 7 months but trusted my gut instinct... Went and rode her 4 times before buying.. Shes been great since she stepped off the lorry and I really trust her, shes given me my confidence back 10 times over

HBM1

Visit site
More curiosity :eek: But what was it that swung it for you? Was there a "lightbulb" moment, were you sold from the start, were you still unsure when you finally went for it?

Why did you choose the one you did? :)

I went to see a baby who had been born on the Monday (this was the Friday) and this little bub came round the corner, that was it, she was mine!

And I still love her 8 years later (she is 8 in two days time).

I feel so lucky and blessed, she is so funny and such a character and we have a very special bond. When we lost her cousin, I bought her best friend for her and they are also still in love and together

TallulahBright

Visit site
Was riding past local stud and saw the most beautiful coloured newby filly foal- never been a big fan of coloureds but went home and told hubby I'd just seen my future horse! Five years on and we've been on the most amazing (and expensive and frustrating) journey together. She's the best and I'm so glad I did it!

ihatework

Visit site
Everything I have bought, bar 1, has been from gut instinct - have usually known from the advert or the first few seconds of viewing.

The bar 1, I bought from my head rather than heart - and eventually sold him as he wasn't right for me

Of the rest that I have purchased from gut instinct, only 1 of those was a bad buy.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
The last horse I bought was simply the most beautiful animal I'd ever seen. It was love at first sight.

rowan666

Visit site
with my two faves I flicked through for sale adds (wasnt in the market for a new horse either time) i see something that i can never quite put my finger on but cant leave alone/ stop going back to and thats it i knew i was buying them! Just from one badly taken pic both times didnt even need to read the ad i just knew from the pic! Fate/stupidity :D

Lolo

Visit site
With Reg, Al fell for him slowly but surely. There was no 'I need this horse' moment- he was there, she needed a horse, he wasn't completely insane or difficult. Then over the course of the next few months she fell completely for him. He's very precious to her, and is with us for the rest of his life- I don't think wild bears could drag her away from him.

With Smokey, Al fell for him as soon as she saw him!

Gorgeous George

Visit site
There was just something about George that made me think he was the one, he made me feel safe when I rode him :D He was everything I didn't want (too big, not that well schooled or experienced), but I went and looked at him because he was close to home and something about him just said 'buy me'. As a new horse owner we had a few ups and downs and confidence issues but he truely is one in a million :D

LongInTheTooth

Visit site
I went to choose one from a field full of brand new foals, yearlings and two year olds. Kept going up for an hour every few days just to watch and chat to them and in the end this one picked me :D

She's five tomorrow.... :D

*Please excuse last summer's fatty belly :( She was whipped off that field sharpish! :rolleyes: :) )

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
When I jumped him, which was strange because I wanted to do more flat work, but I wanted to do a little jumping and he was soooo wonderful over a fence and gave me such a lovely feel. I also loved his personality so much, but it was landing after that first jump that did it got me.

He took me to be intro eventing and was placed which I never thought I'd do being a bit of a wimp.

When I was forced to sell him it was his jump that sold him too. The mum was all "we're not going to decide today" and her daughter pulled boo up and screamed "I love him!!" Sold!!!

He really did have a fab jump and they still have him. Her little sister jumps him now.

I miss him every day but 6 years on I'm thrilled he's in such a fab home.

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
Its actually happened to me twice.
Went to view a horse, took one look at the horse in the next door stable and it was love at first sight. Sadly I lost him a year later to a tendon injury. :(

With my new pony, ( been with me for a week now :D ) it was love at first sight again, and the second I got on him, he just felt "right" and it felt like I had been riding him all my life. I just love him to bits. :D

Hexx

Visit site
Absolutely!

I only saw his face, and my sister said it lit up like a lightbulb and she knew that he was the one.

13 years on, he is still the one!

becca1305

Visit site
All my recent ones have been a pretty immediate click followed by a second viewing to make sure heart wasn't ruling head entirely!

My little skewbald mare I'd been looking for more of a low level schoolmaster type for a while but couldn't find the right one so decided to take on a project instead! Met her in the stable she was pretty and very sweet, had a lot of fuss hopped on and started to ride her and loved her. She was very green but had the basics and a willingness to try for you, and was so bold to a fence despite only being jumped under saddle twice prior! She then proceeded to pop in a happy I'm jumping buck which just caught me unawares on a downhill slope and I popped out the side door :eek: and she stopped and looked at me like huh? :confused: with such a worried face. I went back for a second ride but was already sold. She was meant to be to sell on as only *just* tall enough for me at 16hh but shes still with me 4years on and part of the family, I refer to her as my comfy pair of slippers :).

My filly I was in a field of pretty much unhandled 2yos at a stud and they were all being rather jumpy as you'd expect with some bolder ones a little nippy, when all of a sudden as I was extending my hand slowly to another horse this muzzle nosed against the hand I had by my side. I turned round and there was a rather gangly bright orange filly. She was so trusting and friendly and let me look her over, and I knew she was right for me :). But again head decided to kick in and so I arranged to watch her loose school, and then again rang and asked the chap when he brought her in for me to watch her loose school if he could bring in anything else that fit my brief too. He did, but I still wanted her. She has grown into a beautiful young horse though has grown bigger than expected now standing at 17.1hh, but she has been a pleasure to own and has just started groundwork again as prep to be backed now as a 4yo :).

Before I bought big mare I'd looked at a handful of schoolmasters ranging from not quite right to down right awful as a partnership with me. A couple of days prior one of these had slammed the anchors on with me at the second element of a double (which my trainer, the agent and the horse's owner all said I'd met both elements perfectly) I came flying off and snapped a thick wooden pole with my back so wasn't feeling the most confident when I hopped on a new horse a few days later. But I got on her started to ride and thought ahhh this clicks better, then she completely looked after me jumping around a 1m course of SJs and arena XC fences despite me riding defensively as feeling a little nervous/wary. Again I was sold but came back again for another viewing, she nearly jumped me out putting in one of her massive jumps over something, but we finished the session having jumped 1.3m with a big grin on my face, agreed a price with her owner who is my trainer as we hacked down the drive to cool off and shook on it subject to vet :). I've only had her a few months and haven't had as much time with her as I'd like thanks to dissertation & uni finals, and we are still taking the time to gel, particularly on the flat, but I took her to our first event the other weekend and she jumped a beautiful double clear so I think we are off to a decent start at least :).

Ooh that was probably a bit rambly, but I think my method is gut instinct on meeting horse followed by the same feeling when riding which decides whether or not I want to buy. Then a second viewing to determine I've not loved the horse so much I'm overlooking any problems/issues, followed by a vetting!

wyrdsister

Visit site
One of mine, I just clicked with. I'd lost my nerve on a horse with a propensity to rodeo when being mounted. I'd schooled him out of it but was at rock bottom confidence-wise and no longer enjoyed riding him. Around the same time, a friend was selling one of her 2 year olds. I'd been over helping her out with them (mostly to avoid riding) and had really connected with this one filly. Around her, I felt competent again and confident. So, against all logic and possibly sanity, I swapped her for my ex-bronco (who my friend adored). I backed LP myself, brought her on, and trained her up to do elementary dressage. Loved her to bits and completely rebuilt my courage with her. Sadly she's retired with an injury now, but it was the best (and craziest) decision I'd ever made.

Since it's clearly becoming a habit to make daft baby-horse purchases, my current youngster I bought because I happened to turn up at the livery yard/stud when the 2 & 3 year olds were being photographed for sale. This enormous idiot youngster fled the cameras and folk 'inspiring' the horses to look lively and buried her head in my chest demanding a rescue. I did. Good thing too, since they were planning on backing her to sell and no one had realised she wasn't 3 she was 2! :rolleyes: I guess I brought that one home because I didn't want to see what would happen to her if I didn't!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
The minute I tried my mare I just felt good on her and was grinning.

I think I upset the people who owned the horse I tried before her because I just trotted around the school twice on the horse and didn't feel like I clicked with it or that it was my kind of horse so I got off and said, Lovely horse but not for me and I don't want to waste your time.

With my husband's horse, it was when we saw him jump and his paces. He was a big, extremely green 4yr old that could hardly cope in a 20x40 school, but there was just something about him. He has turned out great!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I was horse mad but horse-less as a kid so loved everything, but had my dream horse in my head, Arab type grey mare :D.
When in our last year of high school my friends loan pony moved to Portugal and her sister got Doodle in, as the owner was scared/not interested in, for her to ride. She hated her as she was just a replacement for the pony she had lost. She took me to a show where Doodle was (still with her old owner) and pointed her out to me and I said I'd buy her she lovely, friend laughed and said seriously that scrawny mental looking thing! Ok so she wasn't the right colour but she was the most beautiful horse I'd seen :eek:.
My friend took her on and realised she wasn't that naughty, just stressed and not in a routine. After a year her sister said she could no longer afford to keep her and the owner didn't want her back so she was put up for sale. They offered her to me as I still loved her, but as my parents response to "can I have a pony" was always a flat no, I didn't hold out much hope!
However they said they would think about it, and I will remember that moment forever I think my heart stopped :D. They came down to the yard to meet her and that was it she was in our lives and isn't going anywhere ever!

Topaz was a funny one, we were looking for my mum we had a budget and a quite specific idea of what we wanted (grey anglo mare :D). After having one that fulfilled all our needs fail it's vetting, my dad said what about this one talking about Topaz's advert. I said no I'd seen the advert and wasn't impressed, she was the wrong breeding, a little older for how green she was and she was double the budget (and the wrong colour :D)! It's my parents money to do with as they choose, but as we weren't looking for a top notch comp horse just a good low level alrounder I thought they were daft, however he said ring up and arrange a viewing which I did.
Me and mum went to see her and she was fabulous in real life :D, stunningly beautiful to look at even though she was fairly poor. Popped on and that was it after I'd jumped her I knew she was amazing :D, mum needed convincing on her paces (being so boingy :eek:) so we went back again with my dad, but we knew she was coming home with us we all love her:D. Topaz and my mum are such a partnership now its lovely, as my mum is so quiet and sympathetic with her.

I think gut feeling is the way forward ;), though still waiting for my dream mare :D:D.

mandwhy

Visit site
I had been looking for ISH types and ID for a while and ended up having a fall and breaking my arm when I suddenly decided I wanted a haflinger! I then searched for Haflingers over 15hh for a few weeks and I think this was the second one that came up that was the right height and everything else! I had a long conversation with the owner and you know when all their negatives are your positives (bit ploddy, more likely to nap than run off, stubborn cow) I just thought, that is what I need right now. It was far away but happened to be near a friend so I went up to stay with her and took her to the viewing the day next, I already knew I was going to buy her, I was still injured and hadn't been on a horse since my fall, she stood nicely for me to get on from a high bank and the owner had damaged her hand and she also rode her safely, I thought this horse will look after me when I am fragile and that is all I can ask for right now!

I don't regret my decision, but things are starting to change, I am not standing for the stubbornness now and we are growing in confidence together, plodder has a buck in her!

ebonyallen

Visit site
As soon as I saw that little black face smiling at me, and when I rode her was sold, so have to love at first sight12 years later and all that we have both been through would not have changed a thing, she is my best friend and my soul mate.

[100323]

Visit site
I bought my pony from a photograph, and a recomendation from a friend who had his half brother, and knew his breeder. He was a halter trained, unstarted 4 year old. He was too far away to go and view. I felt drawn to him and it felt right. I have not regretted my decision at all. Though taking on a youngster at 61 and being away from horses for about 10 years, and training him myself was not the wisest thing to do, but we are getting there and are now going out on mini hacks on our own. He is definitely the right pony for me. I love him, and I am glad to be back with ponies again.

claireandnadia

Visit site
I used to share her then had her on full loan for around a month when the owner announced she was for sale and she had someone coming to view the next day. I started to panic. Thankfully they didn't turn up to view so I quickly got my offer in and was accepted. I wasn't planning on buying but I couldn't bear to part with her.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I set out to get a nice 15.2hh-ish ISH type, maybe pony x TB, around 8yo, done some BE90, schooled around BE100, hunted. Had the money to pay for it as well. I happened to be on the phone to my saddle fitter about the horse I had at the time (I had one semi retired and was buying something younger to have alongside him) and he mentioned he had just sold something that would have been perfect. I've known him for years, hunted with him etc so he's seen me ride and knows me/my riding pretty well. Got a text a few days later to say the horse hadn't been sold after all, did I want to go and look. All I knew was it was "around" 15hh, 6yo Irish gelding "loads of jump, lives for it", hunted in Ireland and been in the UK a few weeks.

Got to his yard, didn't particularly like the look of him in the stable. Watched them ride, wasn't mad keen but trusted saddler... got on, didn't really like him on the flat and was going to get off but he convinced me to pop some fences. Loved him from that moment! He gave me such a lovely feel - really bold, genuine, clever and obviously loved it (horse I had at the time wasn't a jumper, didn't particularly enjoy it). I went back the next day to hack and school him again. I knew it would take me some time to gel with him on the flat but he was pretty good to hack and just great to jump, so I knew I could work with him.

12 months later and we finally seem to have gelled! He was younger than I thought (5yo when I got him, but not far off 6), incredibly green with very little formal education. However, he'd done a season or two of hunting in Ireland and he is phenomenal to hunt. Nothing he won't jump, stands, goes front, middle or back, you could put a child on him and he goes in a snaffle. Proving to be the same XC - incredibly bold and genuine. Lots of work still needed on the SJ and flatwork, but he tries and we're getting somewhere. Sometimes wish he had a bit less attitude though LOL!! Nothing like I set out for though.. he's not 15hh (14.3hh), mostly Connie with probably some cob in there, and is a proper pony type.

Emilieu

Visit site
I loved deano before I saw him, from a pic his owner sent me. But I knew I'd bring him home the second time I tried him. I turned down a date to go take him a hack :D I groomed him and tacked him up then realised I'd forgotten my hat. Left him tied up with his owner and I ran down to the car to fetch hat. When I looked back I saw he had stretched his rope around the corner and was standing watching me :) sold.

smanf

Visit site
As soon as I saw this picture on the advert.

picture.php

And found out that the price tag wasn't a typo.

I had wanted a black ISH around the 7 to 10 yo mark. Oops

Brightbay

Visit site
Probably, if I'm honest with myself, the first time I saw him :D

Dealer had shown us two horses roughly within my spec (aged 8-10, mare, 15-16hh) and we didn't like either of them. Then he said to his assistant "why don't we show them Jackson?". Assistant rolled her eyes a bit :D We asked who was Jackson, and he explained Jackson belonged to the assistant, had been bought at auction a few months ago just over from Ireland and just backed, assistant planned to bring him on and sell. He was 4, had spent the previous 4 months untouched in a field and was 16.2hh. We said we'd go look, but had mentally ruled him out as completely unsuitable.

Drove to field, and dealer got out. The most amazing looking horse at the bottom of the field with a wee grey pony looked up at us, whinnied, and came charging up the field. Dealer put a headcollar on him and brought him out and this big horse just had the most wonderful expression of "wow, people, I LOVE people". We knew we had to have him :eek:

I went back a few days later with a friend. We sneaked up to the field because we wanted to see if he was really as friendly as he seemed without dealer there... Jackson was lying down, and we walked right up to him - yes, he really was that friendly :) I was still a bit in denial at this stage, but asked to see him ridden. Dealer was a bit :eek: but brought him in and his owner, myself and my friend all had a shot. He didn't know how to canter, but walked and trotted fine around the school. Got him vetted, and he came home with me about three weeks later. It's been 6 years now, and our first impressions were spot on :D (although he did end up growing like a weed and is now 17hh...)

Sprocket123

Visit site
With both my highland and tb, I knew from the photos I was going to have them! There was something about them, both have fabulous characters, I cannot wait to start backing them :)

Holding

Visit site
I wasn't looking for a horse to buy, but I saw an advert on BD and couldn't get it out of my head, even though the horse was entirely unsuitable and way over budget. I have never haggled for anything in my life but I couldn't stop thinking about it, so eventually I sent an e-mail apologizing for my cheek and asking if she would take half the asking price. She said yes so I went up to see him - there were about ten bay horses out in the field and I had no idea which he was, but as soon as I saw him I thought "god I hope it's that one". And I brought him home two days later. Only had him for nine months but I utterly adore him and I'm so glad I was brave/rude enough to make such a cheeky offer.

Nightmare before Christmas

Visit site
Saw him under saddle and liked him, rode him once round a set of fences, had him vetted and got him a few days later. Hes just got better and better in the 4 weeks ive had him

He has done three shows now and coming on well!

Token picture