Horse catching/ knocking elbow when jumping

Spangles

Visit site
Not quite sure how to avoid this other than over rezch boots but our horse wears the rubber bell type over reaches anyway, and they come doen lower than over over reaches.

Our mare is starting to jump bigger now and tucks her front feet up so much she can knock her elbow. Has anyone else had this issue ? And how did you avoid any knocks ?

Illusion100

Visit site
Is she shod (obviously a metal shoe knocking off the joint isn't ideal) and so can she go barefoot in front for the interim?

I'm no expert in unteaching a horse to be less careful but perhaps she needs training work on her bascule, working from the hindend, or perhaps more importantly the back and abdominals. A vid would be helpful but it sounds like she may 'dive' over a fence rather than jump it.

How is her groundwork? Polework?

I think some pics/vids of her jumping and displaying this issue could help. A good trainer in your area could certainly do the world of good though.

Horses being exburerant and clean jumpers is a blessing and a curse. A bit of good lube slathered over relevant areas helps wonders. *smirks at indecent innuenduo*

Will probably be more helpful people along here shortly....