Horse colour/gender stereotypes

Does your Horse come in the night before a show?

• Total voters

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
All the chestnut mares I've known have been lovely! I've known a few evil bay mare's tho
grin.gif

moodymare1987

Visit site
Only one of out a lot of chestnuts i have encountered have been as people say a bit tempermental, but the rest have been angels, i dont think a good horse is a bad colour, any mare can be stroppy regardless of colour x

RunToEarth

Visit site
Have had the ride of a lovely chesty mare for the past year, she is a gem and only fault I can pick with her is she flattens her ears when you tighten her girth- I think thats just a mare thing. I have a black mare and she is 1 in a million horse, havnt a bad word to say about her, she rocks my world.
When I went looking for a new horse in 2005 I went with this is mind. Has to be gelding, and I do not want a coloured. Ended up with a coloured, and he rocks my socks
smile.gif

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
No Other for me.

It is shown through research that the chestnut gene is linked to increased skin sensitivity and therefore in general a chestnut horse will be more sensitive than a bay or grey etc etc. Some Chestnut mares will have the misfortune to have very sensitive skin due to their colour gene in addition to hormone problems meaning they become the sterotypical 'moody chestnut mare'.

On the same extreme though a lot of chestnut mares are perfectly normal and no more sensitive/moody then your average 'boring' gelding
wink.gif
tongue.gif

You also commonly find chestnut geldings are more sensitive especially round their belly and when being groomed because of the effect of the gene.

There are 2 alone on the yard I'm on!! (problem free chestnut mares that is
wink.gif
)

RunToEarth

Visit site
Yes the one thing I dont miss about Jasper or Met are their little ticklish spats, but then again I own the worlds most tickly coloured, bless his cottons. I dont think that the chestnut mare syndrone would put me off, if she did what I wanted her to do, I dont go out there looking for that bay with four white socks and a blaze, but then again im not one that needs a certain colour, I love looking out into the field and not seeing a host of bays, easier to tell them apart!

moodymare1987

Visit site
haha i agree, with a couple of bays on my yard, they are show quality and they all look the same, im not one to be put of by colour of a horse but i didnt want a bay as a lot of people i know have them, not to say they are a bad horse or anything just if i had a bay it would have to have the special something but most horses do dont they for you to buy them, ive not made my point very clear but hey ho never mind, im tired thats my excuse xx

seaofdreams

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

When I went looking for a new horse in 2005 I went with this is mind. Has to be gelding, and I do not want a coloured. Ended up with a coloured, and he rocks my socks
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I said exactly the same thing in 2002 didn't want a mare and not a coloured, came home with a coloured mare who i love to bits and she was my perfect horse till her injury and then in 2005 went to see 9 horses with the thought in my head i didn't want an irish horse (after the probs with Lottie) didn't want a mare (well my mother didn't after my brothers stroppy one !) and wanted a grey or coloured, 8 of those horses were warmblood geldings guess what i came home with the irish mare !!! but she was grey and she is also perfect
grin.gif

RunToEarth

Visit site
Well the reason it took me so long to find Oshk was because I went out wanting a second Bertha, and she is untouchable, everything I tried I compared to her, naturally, none of the 4yos I tried matched. Finally grasped the fact that I would have to look for something a little different to her, and came home with my coloured xc demon, star that he is, wouldnt swap him now though, coloureds have grown on me hugely since buying him.

Tinkerbee

Visit site
most of the chestnut mares i know have been nutters! but thats probably coincidence...most of the mares i know have been nutters!!

Sal_E

Visit site
I think colour is irrelevant - hormones can be relevant, breeding is relevant & most importantly handling is totally relevant. Get a horse with experience of bad handling & it's colour will have nothing to do with it being a 'nutter'.

Salcey

Visit site
I've had three chestnut mares in my time, and currently have two at the moment. I don't think it is a colour thing, my two at the moment are lovely, but typical mares, can be stubborn, slight sensitive skin, but def not nutty as they're portrayed