Horse crazy from March to August

horseqna

New User
Visit site
Hello!

I have a 7 year old ISH, had him since he was 5. Every single year bang on in March he turns from dope on a rope donkey (all winter) to crazy in spring and summer?

he rears, he’s bargey, he’s like a kite to handle and it can get to the point I can’t even ride him for weeks cause he’s so naughty.

I’m at a loss at why this happens? I thought it was because he was young at first but I no longer think this is the case? I’ve now tried lowering his feed to see if that helps.

Any advice welcome please cause I’m at a loss!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Do you feed him magnesium and salt? Spring grass is not good for a lot of horses, the mineral balances are all out of whack. I would be giving him 50g of salt and 25g of magnesium oxide (cheapest as calmag/calcined magnesium from an agricultural store).

And if that doesn't work I'd be cutting down on his grass intake in some way and feeding hay or haylage if he needs more food.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Do you feed him magnesium and salt? Spring grass is not good for a lot of horses, the mineral balances are all out of whack. I would be giving him 50g of salt and 25g of magnesium oxide (cheapest as calmag/calcined magnesium from an agricultural store).

And if that doesn't work I'd be cutting down on his grass intake in some way and feeding hay or haylage if he needs more food.

Agree with this mine are started on mag ox in March every year and fed table salt all year round.

horseqna

New User
Visit site

where would I get magnesium oxide? Thanks! Will try this!

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Have a look at Calm Healthy Horses website, it really helped me with mine and has so much information.

And ditto the other users that adding or increasing magnesium & salt levels is a huge benefit.

Birker2020

Visit site

Would you feed this in electrolyte form?