Horse crossing jaw when bridled

Tabsmadsrose

New User
Visit site
So my horse has started crossing his jaw when I first put his bridle on. He opens his mouth for the bit no problem, then once the bridle is on (before doing any straps up or anything) he starts crossing his jaw from side to side, occasionally nodding his head too. He does it for maybe 30 seconds then settles, chews and plays with the bit a little then is totally fine. He doesn't do it when ridden at all, only when the bridle is first put on. He never used to do it, started around December time (now June) and it's not every time but a large majority. He has his teeth done in February and I mentioned it to the vet at the time, he had a fe sharp points but nothing drastic and she sorted all of those out for us, but he still does this.
He has two bridles with different bits, but same thing happens with both. Doesn't happen bitless so has to be a mouth thing, but if it was pain I would have expected him to continue when ridden or lunged too, but it is only when it's initially put on!
Could it just be that he likes to 'settle' the bit first?
Dentist is coming out again next month so will check in on any possible causes then!
Has anyone else had this?

BOWS28

Visit site
Sounds strange but you could try warming the bit first? My old boy hated having the cold bit in his mouth. He would cross his jaw, move his tongue alot and generally look really unsettled in the mouth. Would stop after 3/4 mins once the metal was warm in his mouth. We used to dunk the bit in hot water or at the very least hold it in the palms of my hands for a couple of mins. May not be your answer but it's worth a try :)

Tabsmadsrose

New User
Visit site
Sounds strange but you could try warming the bit first? My old boy hated having the cold bit in his mouth. He would cross his jaw, move his tongue alot and generally look really unsettled in the mouth. Would stop after 3/4 mins once the metal was warm in his mouth. We used to dunk the bit in hot water or at the very least hold it in the palms of my hands for a couple of mins. May not be your answer but it's worth a try :)

I hadn't thought if this! Thank you, I'll give that a try 🙂

Annagain

Visit site

Rubbing it vigorously warms it up more quickly than just holding it. I hold it between my two palms and rub back and forth.

Shay

Visit site
Echo pearlsinger - check your bits for rough patches. But for an experiment you could also see if you can borrow a bit made with a different substance - plastic or sweet iron or copper and see if he prefers that.