Horse damages lorry who’s should pay the bill

Floxie

Visit site
Whether or not they paid cash the people who did the work should provide an invoice if asked, so she's definitely messing with ya. I'd stand firm on requiring it - that's not even being awkward, it's just perfectly reasonable when somebody is asking you for money that they prove that it's not just a number they pulled out of their arse.

irishdraft

Visit site
No I would not be paying, presumably you have reasons for not wanting to fall out with the lorry owner but they are not treating you fairly . It was unfortunate you appeared to go along with the fact it was your horse that had caused the damage even tho you weren't certain it was .The fact you offered to put right was ignored several times and then suddenly presented with a bill 11 months later of which you have no written idea of costs is taking the mick big time, tell them to jog on who wants people like that in their life .

mutley75

Visit site
I would also be very wary of the fact that with 3 on the truck it was obviously bigger than a 3.5 tonne vehicle. If this is the case did said professional have proper insurance in place rather than just personal use. If you really want to get technical they probably should have a restricted o license at least if they are transporting as part of a livery/training service.
My advice would be walk away they are trying their luck.

deb_l222

Visit site
Present them will a counter-invoice of 'hire of horse for competition' and make sure it comes to £450!!

Anyway, seriously I know you say you don't want to fall out with people but do you really want to stay friends with people like this either? I was expecting you to say your horse had kicked the crap out of their trailer but 100's of pounds for a bit of trim that your OH says he can fix for peanuts..................

Tell them you will get it fixed at your expense (if you want to stay friends) but you won't be parting with £450. Otherwise, just tell them to jog on full stop.

Supertrooper

Visit site
If they were that bothered by it why did it take 11 months to ask you to pay

Also I wouldn’t be happy for someone to take my horse competing or anywhere without having the decency to ask first

I’d tell them a definite no

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
no dont pay....in the last 11 months other horses could have done more damage which could be why the bill is higher......they have got a cheek asking after all of this time so i am afraid that friendship would be finished if it was me. you dont need friends like that, at the very least a phone call to discuss would have been the first thing to do, not present you with a bill and no proof of what was done...

AdorableAlice

Visit site
If they were that bothered by it why did it take 11 months to ask you to pay

Because the lorry has gone in for other repairs that cost a lot more than anticipated and they have thought up a way to offset their costs by getting money from a third party, whom is not vaguely responsible.

I had a very similar situation with my neighbours car many years ago. It was a Jaguar, I backed into it in front of the owner, no damage to either vehicle, quite literally the tiniest touch. Neighbour and her husband, plus I and my husband inspected both vehicles and agreed nothing to be seen.

6 months later I get a call from the neighbour who was at the Jaguar dealership where the car was being serviced. Neighbour told me the cost for the 'repair' was £350 and would I like to pay the dealership direct. Obviously I questioned the request and the neighbour insisted there was damage on the car. Knowing there was not, I asked for pictures of the before and after repair to enable me to send them on to my insurer. Funnily enough there were not any pictures, receipts etc.

Foxtrot Oscar.

Leandy

Visit site
Um, if I were you I would consider that my good nature was being taken advantage of and had been for a long time. Seriously, do not pay. It doesn't seem a great loss if you lose these people as "friends". I hope it gives you the opportunity to find yourself some nice ones who treat you with more respect!

paddy555

Visit site
I am the only one who would pay something then!

As you allowed the pro to repeatedly take your horse out alone, this became accepted practice.
As you appeared to take responsibility for the damage, it is likely that they believe you accept your horse did it.
As you offered to mend the damage, it is accepted that you were going to put the lorry right.

I understand all the points put against paying however I think the above need to be taken into account. You seem to accept your horse was responsible at the time and offered to mend it. Why didn't you say nothing to do with me, my horse couldn't even reach that high, jog on. As for the pro taking your horse out you went along to help so it does seem you accepted this course of action. You didn't say "you chose to take her, didn't tell me or ask my agreement,, your problem"

Visit site
OP, you offered to make good the “damage”, in full, almost a year ago.

Your offer was not taken up.

Regardless of responsibility, offers to refund/repair/replace do not stand indefinitely. Because, there is no way of knowing now if the repairs relate to the events of 11 months ago or to some subsequent incident.

I’d go back to them and say, really sorry, but it’s too long ago now - if you think differently it’ll have to be sorted through our respective insurers and their solicitors.

Renvers

Visit site
I understand where Red is coming from too, but I think asking for the itemised bill before approving payment will just make the whole thing go away.

I agree, its terrible to be so cynical so young :p

Seriously OP, if you choose to help them with money towards a repair because you feel responsible, or want to keep everything friendly I would absolutely insist on seeing a bill for the work. If they choose to pay cash that isn't your problem they have no way to prove to you they had anything done professionally. It does sound a bit like they are thinking you are a soft touch and will just capitulate.

McFluff

Visit site
For me personally, there isn’t a single point in the story that would compel me to pay. However, I would have questioned my horse going out without my express permission and I would have challenged the damage claim at the time. That aside, you made a fair offer that was rejected (or ignored). So I would simply say that so long after an alleged event, you are not able to pay. You would have got your OH to fix at the time for a cost of £80, but as that was ignored you are not in a position to help. Your compromise (and I’m assuming that they have other redeeming features making the friendship saving!), would be to say that you’ll contribute to the materials on production of an itemised bill. And I’d check any bill with the original garage. And I wouldn’t go above £80. At a push. I’d balance that with how many bottles of wine it would buy me…

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
IF, and it is a big IF, your horse did damage the box it is because THEY left it unsupervised at a show THEY had borrowed your horse for in a box THEY had decided to take the horse in. Tell them you offered to repair the damage as a gesture of goodwill at the time, despite not really believing your horse had done the damage but it wasn’t accepted. Tell them your husband could have done it for less than a quarter of what they’re asking for. Tell them you’re not going to pay the bill and you also do not want your horse taken off the yard to shows (or anything else) in someone else’s box without your permission ever again.