Horse dilemma!

RubyR

Visit site
Hi, I'm new to the forum but would like some advice. A couple of months ago I bought a lovely Sec D, 2 years old. He is beautiful and has a lovely temperament but I really want to ride and I don't think I can wait 2 years before I can start working him properly. I couldn't really afford to keep two horses, which would be the ideal. None of my friends really have suitable horses for me to ride or they are busy riding and competing them themselves. I feel like I'm missing out. I really think my gelding will be nice but do I wait for him or try and find a horse I can ride now? (When I bought my horse I thought I'd be OK waiting for him to mature but I just want to get going). Please help.

lornaA

Visit site
I bought my horse as a yearling and started her at 3 which was fine so long as you don't do too much. Remember you could also try in hand showing and stuff to fill in the time. Do you not have a friend who would appreciate you riding their horse?

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
aw hun, I know its frustrating but buying a youngster will enevitably lead to you having to wait. there are lots of things you can start doing with him now though. Maybe you could book a few lessons/rides now and again with your local school for now.
Best of luck
Dawn

RubyR

Visit site
Thanks, I was thinking along those lines aswell! I hacked out a friend's horse last week and I've booked a lesson with my local riding school this week to keep me going.

pottamus

Visit site
I personally would wait as there is so much you can do in the meantime...prep work for backing, getting him used to scary things, in hand showing...you name it. Perhaps you could advertise to ride peoples horses in the area or book some lessons as has been suggested. But the wait will be worth it!

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
aww - I'm sure he would be worth the wait
smile.gif

filly190

Visit site
I know it is frustrating, but think about the good things.

1. You have a blank slate, no bad habits, everything you teach him will be good.

2. You can still do lots with him know, take him to shows and do inhand, this will educate him and when ridden at shows he will be nicely behaved.l

3. You know what you are getting, searching for a good horse is expensive, time consuming and often heart breaking. We all know people that have had bought expensive mistakes.

4. Do lots with him now, with my young horses I spend hours leading them round the field, I do all of my traffic proofing prep at this age.

I build like obstacle courses with bags, flags you name it and every week we have a new challenge. There are some really good books on how to bomb proof your horses.

All of this up to the age of three, which is only one year will be time consuming and if you build a monthly target of what you what to achieve the time will soon fly.

If you are just looking at him in a field, no wonder it is borring. Teach him to box, take him out and about. I take my horses to quiet villages and walk them along the roads. I also take them for walks where ever I can.

You will then have less work when he is three, he wont shy, you will have put in so much ground work that he will be easy for you.

When he is three back him and ride him away, do lots of quiet walking and hacking, a little schooling and that year will pass by very quickly. You can take him to shows at any age and do inhand etc.

Young horses are fun, you have to build a plan of what needs doing before the riding and you will be amazed how much work you have to put in.

Do all of this and you will have the most wonderful animal, with no vices and safe to hack and on the roads. Its much better than buying into the unknown. So dont give up, enjoy him and get envolved with your friends, I expect they would like to have a go at an assault course designed to help with boob proofing.

Good luck, I really hope you take this advice.