Horse diving on forehand...

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Ok, the Ginger Beastie has come on loooooads from when he was a bucking, plunging, rider-hating monster... He's now very rideable (and more importantly, jumpeable) in a french link although he CAN get rather strong. For the time-being a change of bit is not possible (big mouth, lack of variety- he does NOT like single-joint snaffles, etc).
Now... he used to charge at jumps, now he doesn't, BUT he will leap forwards away from the leg when going in to a fence. If I give a bit of rein for him to lengthen into jumps, he goes completely flat and will give a hefty smack to even a crosspole. Now, I assume this is because when I give rein and don't back up with leg, he's falling on his big white face sooooo what can I do to sort this out? He's very balanced on the flat but it would seem when jumping he relies too much on my hand to keep him 'up'.
Suggestions wise peeps?

tuscanyD

Visit site
You could try approaching jumps from walk or halting a few strides in front and making him wait? then bringing him back to walk/halt in between fences.

He'll probably be very annoyed about it and you'll have to be firm but it will mean you can then put your leg on as you allow him to take the jump and he'll make a more athletic and balanced jump from his hocks without using speed.

If he fights you Make sure you wait until he's relaxed and dropped his head [so he can see the jump!] before you allow him to move off and jump it.

Don't jump big fences this way you can put them up gradually but make sure he is respomding first. If he fights and you get into trouble he'll sort himself out over a smallish fence but a big fence may end in tears!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I have been doing that quite alot as he's always had 'control issues'!! Oddly enough he's much more consistent over bigger jumps. Perhaps he 'respects' them more. It has to be said though that our jumps are rather too easy to knock down!
blush.gif

fjudge

Visit site
I know you said he doesnt like single joint snaffles, but have you tried a copper roller or waterford? You may be surprised by the results!
wink.gif
x

Iestyn

Visit site
I would, at a guess, say he's not balanced enough in the canter - It sounds like he's not engaging his inside hind enough and NOT balanced and this is why he tips onto his forehand. A balanced horse will keep it's forwad motion in the same "roundness" if given the rein for a few strides. I would work on the quality of the canter - possibly in and around jumps, without actually jumping. Also put four poles (maybe start with 2) on a 20m circle and canter over them and over them and over them until he is light and engaged and that he's giving the feeling that the poles aren't actually there. Once he gives this feeling, come of the circle (without altering anything in your body position or your aids) and approach a nice simple fence (that has obviously been set up so that you have a good approach when you come off the circle). If he rushes or plunges then stop him (obviously not in front off the fence as you don't want to teach him to stop) and go back onot your circle.

How about trying some grids with him? I would try a bounce, bounce, bouce one stride to a parallel. Keep the fences very small to start with - just a tiny cross. Increase the height every couple of times. He'll get a in a muddle to start with but he'll soon get the hang of it. This again will encourage him to have to jump from behind and discourage the flattening over the fence.

Don't give him the rein in front of the fence - you're effectively telling "I can't help you". Keep a consistent contact and your leg on. If he rushes or pulls, turn a circle in front of the fence and come on a shorter approach. I taught my horse to stop rushing and pulling by turning to the fence, halting and then proceeding in trot (over 2'6-2'9 fences). He'll soon got the hang of it.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Thanks, will try what you suggest. He's very good at grids, and jumps beautifully out of trot and on the lunge with no help, obviously, from me. It seems though that by dropping the contact I'm unintentionally unbalancing him (he's definitely weaker on his left side, though much better than he was)
smile.gif