horse does not like hacking

landyandy

Visit site
would anyone want a horse that does not like hacking, I have had my husbands new horse 3 months, had her teeth, back and saddle checked, she will school all day, but when it comes to hacking, she doesn't like it, is very nappy alone and in company, i'm at my wits end and don't know what to do with her, she is a good dressage horse and very sweet natured,

atropa

Visit site
Personally I wouldn't buy a horse that didn't hack, but as others have said there are plenty of people out there who just aren't into it so I'm sure she'll find a lovely home.
Have you tried building up her confidence out hacking slowly? She may still be settling in to her new home with you, which would be exacerbating the problem. Might be worth a shot if she's perfect for you in every other way?

wkiwi

Visit site
Have you tried building up her confidence out hacking slowly? She may still be settling in to her new home with you, which would be exacerbating the problem. Might be worth a shot if she's perfect for you in every other way?
This. I have a dressage mare that didn't like hacking when she came, purely because of lack of confidence. Now she really enjoys going out for a trot and canter (except for those spooky humans that pop up out of hedges every now and again LOL).

WandaMare

Visit site
I agree its still early days for her, she could still be feeling a bit insecure. If she's worth holding onto I would start taking her for little walks in hand, letting her have a graze near the yard but away from her friends and slowly building up. I have been doing the same with a pony I bought earlier this year and it was nearer to 6 months that she appeared to start feeling properly settled. We have been working in the school then doing a 15 mins walk down the lane to cool-off and she doesn't even worry about it now. It just takes time to establish a bond with them so that they trust you enough to take them out of their comfort zone.

landyandy

Visit site
She won't even hack down the road in company, she as only started to do this in the last couple of weeks, that is why I have had everything checked out, she was bought as a hacking horse for my hubby who is a novice.

FlyingCircus

Visit site
She won't even hack down the road in company, she as only started to do this in the last couple of weeks, that is why I have had everything checked out, she was bought as a hacking horse for my hubby who is a novice.

What does she do?
And is the company her field buddy/a horse she knows fairly well or just another off the yard?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Did she hack in her previous home? If so and you tried her doing that, I would be trying to work out what she objects to now.

ETA, what is she like if you ride her, is she just fed up of having a novice on board? It is a special skill that some horses have, they really enjoy teaching a novice, others object strongly.

Last edited:

madlady

Visit site
So if she's only started doing this in the last few weeks what was she like to hack when you first got her? Has something happened?

How novice is your OH? Could it be that he has jarred her mouth or is unbalanced and she is objecting to him?

Some horses while they may be quiet enough for a novice don't necessarily 'look after' a novice and it could be that she is one of those types.

If it does come down to selling though I'm sure you wouldn't have difficulty - there are plenty of people who don't hack.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Train her to hack it's not difficult to teach most horses
Horses don't just know how to do it they have to be shown .
One of My nicest hacks and hunters never hacked out till she was eight .
Leading them from another horse is often a good way .

[100323]

Visit site
She might have lost her confidence. She may need a confident rider to give her confidence. A friends pony is happy with novices at home, but cannot cope with a novice out hacking at all.

landyandy

Visit site
she is not doing this with hubby on, he as not jarred her mouth at all, when I tried her, we only tried her in the school she knows the horse well that she as been hacking with, also her back saddle and teeth have all been checked, she will go so far then just start to back up , then goes side ways, then if you try to ask her to go forward she threatens to rear, she rides in the field perfect

atropa

Visit site
she is not doing this with hubby on, he as not jarred her mouth at all, when I tried her, we only tried her in the school she knows the horse well that she as been hacking with, also her back saddle and teeth have all been checked, she will go so far then just start to back up , then goes side ways, then if you try to ask her to go forward she threatens to rear, she rides in the field perfect

This sounds quite similar to what my mare doe's when she decides she doesn't fancy a hack. I sit quietly until she stops faffing then ask her to walk on with leg and voice as she is a horse that takes confidence from her rider when unsure. If she won't walk down the road with another horse will she walk around even just the yard? That could be a first step, repeating little and often and making it a good experience for her, then building up to just a stride or two down the road until she's happy with that and so on, so forth?
Perhaps she actually has now settled into life at your yard and is testing her luck to get out of work?

WestCoast

Visit site
You wouldn't expect to sit on a horse that has never been ridden in a school and it to be able to do medium level dressage moves. It's the same with hacking - she needs to be taught and it takes time and patience. When I came back to riding after a long break I was gobsmaked that someone could call a horse trained and it not be able to hack and cope with heavy traffic.

So it may be better to sell her honestly to someone who would like to do the work. If she's a nice horse she's worth the time and effort, but it's not a job for a nervous or novice rider. The only circumstances in which I would part with a horse to someone who only rode in the school would be if they had very good quality turnout.

landyandy

Visit site
a very confident experienced rider as been hacking her for last couple of days, but she still dosen;t want to do it, we have tried different routes, she is still happy to school. I also do not want anyone to get hurt, she is almost 17hh