horse dragging toe

CMH

Visit site
My ex racehorse is 6yrs, raced 4 times, had 2 years off, started retraining before christmas.
She passed a vetting and has a splint and one slightly upright foot iff that's any help, the splint is left medial cannon bone.

In video's I have noticed she slightly drags both hind legs.
But never been an issue and can get better with schooling but still have days where it just doesn't improve by the end of schooling.

Back, teeth and saddle all checked done and ok.0

Today on lunge she was liturally dragging and clipping her hind left foot. Only in trot? She also reared and stumbled which is not like her as she is a star to lunge.

Where from here? I am going to get vet out but worried they'll come on a day she is fine. Any advice will be great thanks

milesjess

Visit site
Stiffness? Mine drags his and has arthritis. Could well be the same thing but only X-rays will show it.

Queenbee

Visit site
My mare was the same, but sound, she did it mainly downhill but sometimes in walk, turned out to be tight hamstrings massage therapy and post exercise stretches really improved it, but check with vet first no massage therapist worth anything will touch horse without vets clearance first :)

cptrayes

Visit site
It's a common symptom of spavins, so I would get your vet to do some flexion tests. Unfortunately it was also my horse's first sign of wobblers recently so although it's much more rare it's high in my mind. Test for wobblers by turning her a very, very tight circle around you. She should cross her hind legs over and be quite happy to circle. A wobbler will - wobble - when you do this if it has neurological problems showing.

It's also a common symptom of lack of training, and that will, hopefully, be all it is with her, but it's worth checking the other stuff before you go any further with her.

leanne1985

Visit site
Might just be schooling but don't understand why it would just be one foot but thought spavins where both? Not sure sorry

Nudibranch

Visit site
My boy, just turned one, dragged his hind toes for a few weeks, not visible in his movement but he wore his toes slightly. Trimmer was sure he'd just tweaked his back being silly or rolling and he was right as he no longer drags them. Last night he did such a stupid twisting leap he tweaked his hip! So could be that. I did have an ex racer who did the same on the front and it was early arthritis.

CMH

Visit site
Farrier is coming saturday anyway, i cant ride till thursday so going to trot her then and see if she'd just done something in field. If not will talk to farrier and get vet out next tuesday. Hope it is nothing bad :( thanks for advice everyone

Dab

Visit site
Could be PSD i.e suspensory ligament damage causing compartmentation in the hind which presses on the nerve. Do you do a lot of schooling, circles, work in a deep going, etc? I noticed the toe dragging with my boy and didnt read the warning signs, it started when i upped the schooling work and was introducing collection. Lameness is not often noticable at it present bilaterally. An ultrasound scan followed by nerve block will reveal if this is the cause.

Good luck.

CMH

Visit site
Could be PSD i.e suspensory ligament damage causing compartmentation in the hind which presses on the nerve. Do you do a lot of schooling, circles, work in a deep going, etc? I noticed the toe dragging with my boy and didnt read the warning signs, it started when i upped the schooling work and was introducing collection. Lameness is not often noticable at it present bilaterally. An ultrasound scan followed by nerve block will reveal if this is the cause.

Good luck.

Yes she hast just started schooling and learning to work long and low over her back. We do lots of circles and the toe dragging happened in the field. She is ok in a school but can sometimes hear her dragging the surface with her feet.

Gleeful Imp

Visit site
I think it indicates there is something wrong, could be so many things, so I think you're right to get the vet and hopefully will be simple to sort. X

CMH

Visit site
Vet all booked.
With regards to between now and then though, if she appears sound on it tonight, do I lunge/hack/ride or anything? Or shall I not work her till the vet comes tuesday.

Thanks

milesjess

Visit site
I wouldn't work her - if it is serious or spavin she'll need danilon/bute most likely to get her comfy. I'd just continue with turn out as normal. Avoid boggy/ soft ground but I'd say don't lunge/ride until you know what it is as she sounds like she's in pain so it wouldn't be fair on her.

CMequestrian

Visit site
I wouldn't work her - if it is serious or spavin she'll need danilon/bute most likely to get her comfy. I'd just continue with turn out as normal. Avoid boggy/ soft ground but I'd say don't lunge/ride until you know what it is as she sounds like she's in pain so it wouldn't be fair on her.

I would wait for the vet too, is she stabled?

Dab

Visit site
For the sake of a few days, i'd wait for the vet to see her. If she lives out then there is no reason for her to get bored. Better to to be cautious than regret working her if there is something wrong and you could make it worse by riding.