horse drinking a lot of water

itsapiebald

Visit site
My horse drinks a lot of water at night, just under two buckets (26l buckets I think) he always has done though.

In his old home he used to left without hay or water from 8am to 3pm quite a few days a week. Could he be drinking so much because of the length of the time he was left without any before?

He's healthy in himself and has no other problems. He has always drank this much while I've owned him (4 years)

joulsey

Visit site
Drinking a lot of water can be a sign of Cushings, so if you are worried you could always get him tested (its free)

But TBH I don't think that is a lot of water for a horse to drink at night..

catkin

Visit site
the time to worry is when their drinking habits change.

You don't say how big he is or whether he gets a lot of hay/dryish food. I find it more concerning if they don't drink enough - that can lead to all sorts of guts problems. Don't know how your buckets compare to ours - but we have always topped up water buckets at 11pm evening stables, and the horses we have had over the years have had 2 (or 3 for a 17hander) buckets in their stables overnight.

oldjumper

Visit site
Sounds a normal amount for an average horse. Previous home sound dreadful but I doubt it will have made a difference to present habits. I'm sure he's glad he's with a caring owner now!

itsapiebald

Visit site
Drinking a lot of water can be a sign of Cushings, so if you are worried you could always get him tested (its free)

But TBH I don't think that is a lot of water for a horse to drink at night..

the time to worry is when their drinking habits change.

You don't say how big he is or whether he gets a lot of hay/dryish food. I find it more concerning if they don't drink enough - that can lead to all sorts of guts problems. Don't know how your buckets compare to ours - but we have always topped up water buckets at 11pm evening stables, and the horses we have had over the years have had 2 (or 3 for a 17hander) buckets in their stables overnight.

He's 14.1 full up, he's on hay at night and grass in the day. Sometimes they'll get a bit some haylage in the field as the grass is a bit limited right now.

It's not that it's worrying me I just wondered if there could be a link to him not getting water in his old home

itsapiebald

Visit site
Yes he did have a bad home, I've heard things about horses that ddon't get access to water when there younger can drink more but didn't know how much truth was in it.

He drinks a lot more than any ponies on my yard or the yard I work at. Even my pony with Cushings! !

Last edited: