Horse drinking loads?

chesnutcraze

Visit site
Due to a change in circumstances, the horses at our yard have had to come in 24/7 for the foreseeable future - before this, mine had only been in the stable once or twice this year.
I’ve noticed that he’s been drinking loads - he drinks his whole water bucket (around 40L I think) overnight, and then over half of it again during the day.
I also give him a builders bag worth of hay a day (about 3/4 big haynets worth) - most in the evening and then the rest for the daytime, which is the same amount he got in the field each day.
In every other way he’s acting completely normal, my first guess is that he’s just quite warm..

Shay

Visit site
If he is out all day you won't really know what he drinks. Its just that circumstances have made it obvious to you. It sounds like a normal consumption to me. You could soak his hay if you need to decrease the amounts in the bucket? (Although I'm not entirely sure why you would..)

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
sounds normal to me. dont forget in the field he has moisture from the grass as well as adlib water to drink. as he is having dry hay he would drink more than if the hay was soaked. dont worry..