Horse dumped on me to repay loan but no passport! HELP!

keeperscottage

Visit site
Please bear with me.....in March, M, who is a friend of a good friend of mine, Ann, bought a horse from the Cambridge sales, outside the sales ring. The vendor was a dealer from the Hemel Hempstead area and offered to exchange the horse if it wasn't what she wanted. It wasn't. Several horses later (each one being more expensive than the last) M decided she wanted to break free from the dealer's "grip" and so purchsed an unsuitable horse, Benji, (he was too small for her) who was for sale for £3,500, with the intention of selling him and starting from scratch.

Good friend Ann contacted me asking is I knew anyone who wanted to buy Benji; I mentioned it to my neighbour, Sue, who wanted to sell her pony and buy a horse she could just plod around on. Benji fitted the bill and I offered to lend her £1,500 to "bridge" her whilst she sold her pony.

M told us that she had not received Benji's passport but the dealer would send it to her. She was going on holiday and would sort it out on her return. However, on her return, M's husband suffered a slight stroke and so we decided not to bother her about the passport.

Neighbour Sue loved Benji but was unable to sell her existing pony so eventually told me that I would have to take Benji and sell him in order to settle her debt. I duly took Benji, turned him out in my field and hoped that neigbour Sue would eventually sell her pony and keep Benji.

Weeks passed, summer came to a close, and neighbour Sue sent exisitng pony for reschooling, soon singing its praises and making it obvious that she would keep pony and not Benji. I therefore decided it was time to advertise Benji (who had now lost muscle and was starting to drop off as the grass in his field diminished, despite me stuffing him with shortfeed) and thought I'd better chase M re: passport.......she told me dealer had sent it months ago, but she had never received it.

I rang dealer (who she warned me was slippery) starting my conversation along the lines of "You sold a 15.3hh chestnut gelding late June/early July..."..."Bad line, can I call you on the landline?"....waited....no return call....called him back a few minutes later....his phone switched off.

Contacted BHS next day who told me to contact Trading Standards. Told them the story. They said M should write to dealer Recorded Delivery stating he was in breach of contract not supplying postport. M did so but dealer has not responded. Today Trading Standards contacted me; yes, dealer has committed criminal offence but more interested about M who has committed the offences of selling Benji to neighbour Sue without passport and transporting him to Sue, again without passport.

Sue and her miserable git of a partner seem to think that by giving me Benji, they have nothing else to do with the matter! I am now left with a horse I can't sell because he doesn't have a passport, I've had to pay £60 to be shod, have to feed at least once daily with conditioning mix, rug, and now, the latest, I am having to pay someone to ride him! All I want is my money back! I am the totally innocent party in this but I am the one paying out for all the bills, - everyone else seems to have washed their hands of him!

How would you feel if you were in my position????

Patches

Visit site
I don't understand why you can't get a passport issued for the horse?

Surely if you've tried to locate a passport, but one hasn't arrived, it would make one wonder if the horse ever had a passport in the first place. Has he been checked for microchips etc?

IF there is a passport and the original dealer can tell you who issued it, you can then contact the passport agency concerned. They will write asking for the passport to be surrendered to them in a set number of days. If passport doesn't arrive, they will cancel it and send you out a duplicate. Cost to you is usually only about £10.

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
Oh dear! May be you and I should set up a 'We are mugs who always get the shitty end of the stick' clique. The only thing you can do is sell him asap! If you hold out to try and get your money back it will cost you an arm and a leg!
ETS sorry forgot about the passport, can you not just apply for a passport in the belief that he wasnt sold with one and therefore probably doesnt have one?

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
I know this does not help but the moral of the story is Do not buy from outside the sale ring & under no circumstance buy without the passport. I would just apply for one now stating the issues you have had. Out of interest which dealer nr Hemel? You can PM it. Just out of interest has this Sue ever made a payment towards the loan?

lexiedhb

Visit site
Tell the woman the deal is off, and you dont want a horse that you cant make back your money on and that she needs to deal with it!!

keeperscottage

Visit site
Problem is that now Trading Standards are involved, I cannot just drop the matter and apply for a new passport. In any event, one of my clients told a friend who was looking for a horse about Benji and I subsequent;y rang her to discuss her having him on trial for a month (whilst I sorted out the passport) with a view to purchase or return to me. As soon as I told her about the passport problem, she immediately wanted to know what proof I had of his age - I have none. Yes, I could apply for a passport, but I feel I am paying out enough, and others (ie, dealer, M, and neighbour Sue) should be putting their hands in their pockets!

Skhosu

Visit site
-Get it in writing that the horse is yours to sell from Sue (important to avoid future comeback(
-GEt the horse a new passport-its simple at the end of the day and most people do it.
-Sell horse and ignore neighbour

keeperscottage

Visit site
Problem is, now Trading Standards are involved, my hands are tied! The one they seem keen to pursue is M, the friend of the friend who sold him to neighbour Sue (with my money)). Oh, if life was simple......

lexiedhb

Visit site
Well I think your being WAY too nice.... tell trading standards all they want to know about M, and get it sorted pronto before your lumbered with a horse for the next year while they sort it out!!

StaceyTanglewood

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Problem is, now Trading Standards are involved, my hands are tied! The one they seem keen to pursue is M, the friend of the friend who sold him to neighbour Sue (with my money)). Oh, if life was simple......

[/ QUOTE ]

cant you just say you didnt sell him for any money ??? x and the horse was stabled at yours so next door so wasnt transported ?x

Blizzard

Visit site
let trading standards get on with it, that is nothing to do with you.

get a receipt from you friend saying heis now yours to sell, sell him for £1500 after applying for new passport, end of problem!
smile.gif

keeperscottage

Visit site
All I want is Benji gone to a nice home - he's not a bad horse! AND I want the money I lent Sue plus all the money I've spent since (nearer £2,000 than the original £1,500) but I DO NOT want a neighbour problem! To all those who simply said "Get a new passport" - this brings with it problems of purchasers wanting to know why it's new and can Benji's age be proved (as I said earlier). Nothing is easy! Feel sorry for a decent horse!

Foxford

Visit site
I would apply for a new passport. I don't see how the trading standards investigation would not allow this?? As the passport has been "lost"! you need another one, say you need it to take him to competitions or something if they really want an excuse.

And sell him asap or your money will trickle away. I feel sorry for you as you are obviously a very nice person and went out of your way to help someone. Echo - get in in writing that he now belongs to you. Good luck!

Foxford

Visit site
But if they had him vetted they would get an expert opinion. Who's to say his age on the original passport was right if he ever had one?!! The opinion of a vet would be good enough for me.

keeperscottage

Visit site
Thanks, Anakin - that's my problem, too much of a "nice person" - need to harden up! Just feel sorry for Benji who, at the end of the day, isn't a bad horse! I'll keep you all informed of the outcome!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
You need a document from your neighbour that they have no claim on the horse 7 you are the owner. That will hold you in good stead.

Download an application form for a new passport, this web site will do:
http://www.horsepassportagency.co.uk/

Get a vet to complete it & say how old the horse is. Then send it off to get your self a passport for Benji.

Then sell him for whatever you can get, hopefully enough to cover your costs.

I doubt if there ever was a passport but either way you must have oine to sell or transport the horse.

Good Luck
smile.gif

shadowboy

Visit site
There are some serious legal technicalities here as to who actually owns the horse.... I shal go devle into my books/cases as I am slightly confused at where money has changed hands etc.......If hes not actually yours then you need to bill the owner/ cant actually sell him if he is yours then things are much easier.....

keeperscottage

Visit site
Dunno, Nuffield! Like I said, I don't want to inflame neighbour - must keep her and miserabe git partner happy (ish)! I just need to sort dealer out and get horse sold -like I said, he's (horse - not dealer!) not bad!

Off to bed now!

snurse

Visit site
You've been well and truly lumbered. You owe it to yourself to get this horse passported and sold. I really wouldn't worry too much about possible previous passports, and Trading Standards - just plead complete ignorance if necessary. It goes against the grain to pretend to be clueless, but it can help if faced with officials etc.