Horse eating Poo

Potato!

Visit site
Just been up to check on my horse at lunchtime and found him standing in the field tucking into a pile of poo.

Ive done a search and all I can seem to find is that he must be lacking in vits and mins.

He has been fed in hifi and spillers light balancer with hay at night and out during the day. He has been off work due to being unsound, so I guess he could be bored and also he has just moved home after 3 months at a livery yard, he didn’t settle at livery so moved him back to my rented field, though it seems like he has never been away.

Are there any other reasons as to why he would be eating his own poo.

hnmisty

Visit site
I was just going to suggest lacking in vits & mins. Try putting him on a supplement and seeing if he stops it. Have you ever seen him doing it before?

Potato!

Visit site
No never seen him doing it before. Would have thought the balencer was enough to be honest but may try an additional supplement..

dancingkris

Visit site
Has he had a course of antibiotics recently?? My boy did this after he'd been on powders - I was horrified! After a few days on probiotics and a syringe full of natural yogurt every day for a week or so he'd stopped doing it and hasn't done since.

Potato!

Visit site
Not had to have any antibiotics since I've had him. He had bute for a few days about 3weeks ago but that is all.

Archiepoo

Visit site
hi my horse was doing this and i put him on brewers yeast and yeasac and he stopped within 3 days -he was doing it all the time. its not lack of vits and mins its to do with upset in the levels of good bacteria in the gut so very possible the bute has caused it .it was routine worming that upset my pony i think but hes right now:)