Horse eating stones/rock's and mud

taraj

Visit site
I have had my new boy a couple of weeks, he is a 4yr old from Ireland. He is out on long grass. Have noticed the last couple of days he is coming in with mud lipstick! We have a pile of top soil/rock's and he will take me over to it for a munch if he can. could he be lacking in somthing?

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
It can also be linked to gastric discomfort as my colicing horse was eating mud. The vet said its the horse equivalent of taking an Andrews to settle our tummy.

HappyNeds

Visit site
One of mine also kept ending up with mud lipstick as he would scratch his bum on the salt lick holder enough to knock the salt block out, and then chase it all over the dusty ground licking it all covered in dirt. I found a net lick holder instead on ebay, which I've tied up in their paddock, works great as he can't hurt himself scratching on it nor can he knock the salt out and end up eating mud along with the salt! I'd never seen a holder that was net before, works great. I was a bit concerned that consuming mud might case him some harm? But I guess maybe they do this in the wild and I shouldn't worry, especially now I've solved it with the salt lick net holder thing.

taraj

Visit site
I always make sure he has some kind of salt/mineral lick available and he seems to have stopped, still uses his lick now and again but nothing like he was.
He came direct from his breeder so I'm wondering if it was the change that unsettled him a little to begin with.