Horse evading bit/super sensitive in mouth? Help please.

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
I have a 5yo who is exceptionally green (she's on loan) today she managed to dump me because she dislikes any pressure in her mouth.

Shes in a NS French link losenge, had her teeth done 3 weeks ago (they were sharp) has had her back checked and a new saddle yesterday. She is also in a comfort bridle with a cavesson nose band.

I can't quite make up my mind if she is evading the bit or just has a dislike for any pressure.

Today, for example, she tried to run off- I tried to stop her, she chucked her head up, opened her mouth and ran. She opens her mouth whenever any pressure is put there and I am not a heavy handed rider by any means. This has resulted in me being dumped mid arguement and her happily running off until being caught.

Anyone have any ideas?!

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
I've checked her mouth for bruising etc there's nothing. The dentist checked her bit also and said its ideal for her fleshy mouth, she doesn't seem to mind in being there until pressure is applied.

horseandshoes77

Visit site
i had these issues with my mare, she couldnt stand any pressure and would run through any bit head up.... she often got sore from metal bits so went bitless but did not work for us as she can be very strong i had very little control in dr cooks and even less in hackamore, i bought nathe bit and tbh we havent looked back she will stop etc brilliantly and now accepts a contact lovely...just a thought could be the metal !

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
i had these issues with my mare, she couldnt stand any pressure and would run through any bit head up.... she often got sore from metal bits so went bitless but did not work for us as she can be very strong i had very little control in dr cooks and even less in hackamore, i bought nathe bit and tbh we havent looked back she will stop etc brilliantly and now accepts a contact lovely...just a thought could be the metal !

Its the sweet copper bit shes in but i will look into the nathe bits now. Thanks

sjp1

Visit site
If she has a thick tongue the lozenge is probably more upsetting that a thin curved jointed snaffle. She may need something ported to relieve that pressure - what however, I don't know as I am still searching for the perfect bit!

kirstyl

Visit site
It sounds as if she needs to learn to accept the contact without a rider first. Lungeing would be great if you know what you are doing. Have you got an instructor who can guide and support you?

Pocket_Rocket

Visit site
It's funny you say that as my gelding is exactly the same in his NS lozenge bit gets very frustrated with it to the point where he just sticks his head up and runs. I changed him to a happy mouth roller and never looked back. I know a few people that have had the same experience with this bit. I would definately change the bit get something very mild so your horse has nothing to fight against. A lot of people at my yard told me to get something harsher but I could feel that he just wasn't happy in his mouth and figured a harsh bit would aggregate the problem bits are trial and error you never know until you try. Hope you get sorted soon :) x