Horse extremely stiff, bad back etc... options?

dressagelove

Visit site
My TB (the one just gone BF for any who may have been noticing what I get up to!) is incredibly stiff. He has been on and off work with lameness issues for over a year now, and during that time, he has also been getting increasingly stiffer, and his performance has dramatically plummeted. I was putting this down to lameness issues.... but although he is currently transitioning to being BF, he is just far too stiff, and it's just not normal. As I have not been working him very hard, this hasnt been a huge problem, but recently asking more of him, the problem is becoming very apparent.

He also seems to have a bad back; when I run my fingers down his back, he shys away from them.
He is a big 16.1hh guy, but his stride is so short, he looks and feels so uncomfortable when moving. He 'holds' himself round corners, and has a terrible contact in his mouth, which could be connected I suppose... He also doesn't track up, and if on the lunge goes disunited regularly (symptoms of kissing spines?!)
My much much smaller 15.3 has a stride twice the size of this guys, and after riding the 15.3 then getting onto the 16.1 his movement is even worse to behold.

My first thought was to get a good physio out to him, but I have heard some of them won't come out unless he has had the once over by the vet? Could anyone recommend a physio anyway in the North West? I havent used one for years...
In terms of other ideas, would it be beneficial as well to get him on a joint supplement, of just leave that until I find out what is wrong, whether it is just a bad back, or something more serious... Your thoughts please?

Sorry for the essay :)

Paddy Irish

Visit site
Not much help to you but i'm having the same problem with PI , stiff as a board behind ( he has a history of locking stifle but does live out 24/7 on a hilly field which all the experts seem to recommend!) when i ask for trot i get flat ears , mincy short horrible strides and sometimes even a buck thrown in. i have a good chiropractor who i'm just waiting for a slot with , but a good equine vet wouldn't go amiss for your boy. he may have just pulled something out in the field - have you stood him up on a hard level surface and had a really good look at him from behind - is he holding his tail slightly to the side and do the top of his quaters look level? My boy is definitely not a happy bunny so i'll have to get the vet if the chiro doesn't fit me in soon as i can't bear the thought of him being in pain.

just an add on about suppliments - have a look at riaflex it seems to have a really good write up , i'll put PI on it if the chiro recommends that i go the suppliment route , he's on equine america gloucosamine at the moment , but it's obviously not doing any good!

Last edited:

galaxy

Visit site
Physios have to legally have permission from a vet to treat a horse.... Although some who practice seem to ignore this, but then I'm not sure those are the one I'd want treating my horse! However my vet generally gives permission over the phone to horses that they have seen in the recent past, unless obv you are going to a physio with a big problem, then they would want to see the horse first.

http://www.acpat.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=159&Itemid=90

tbh, going from your desciption, I think I would want a vet to see the horse 1st. Are you insured? If you want the insurance to pay out, the vet HAS to see the horse first.

I've seen horses with very stiff/bad backs be sedated for physio treatment and the deeper more intensive treatment is fantastic. May be worth asking about that from the start.

Last edited:

Calcyle

Visit site
A physio may well be able to help your boy, but will require referral from your vet, so contact the vet first in any case. I'd hold off anything else until then. Hope you get him sorted :)

dressagelove

Visit site
Physios have to legally have permission from a vet to treat a horse.... Although some who practice seem to ignore this, but then I'm not sure those are the one I'd want treating my horse! However my vet generally gives permission over the phone to horses that they have seen in the recent past, unless obv you are going to a physio with a big problem, then they would want to see the horse first.

http://www.acpat.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=159&Itemid=90

tbh, going from your desciption, I think I would want a vet to see the horse 1st. Are you insured? If you want the insurance to pay out, the vet HAS to see the horse first.

Thanks for that advice, no he's not insured for vets fees... hence why Im trying to be careful and not run a huge bill, lol. My vet has recently seen him though, so getting permission over the phone might be an option...

Mahoganybay

Visit site
Hi, i have just had an excellent equine physio out to my mare and i live up the road from you Dressagelove, she did come via my vets though.

She found that my mare had chronic back pain from her inside shoulder just at her wither along her spine to her rump! We have had lameness issues investigated by my vets which resulted in her having an arthroscopy in her outside hind hock! I am hoping that the lameness has caused the sore back and its not her saddle, but am having he saddle checked out aswell!

I am not sure if she sees a horse without a vet referral but i can give you her number if you like, just send me a pm!

Bikerchickone

Visit site
I'd definitely get a physio or qualifed equine osteopath involved, I have a fantastic osteo for mine and I wouldn't be without her now. Use word of mouth to find a good one though. :)

millimoo

Visit site
If you want a decent vet, contact Peter Schofield at Hird and Partners, Halifax.
A lot of people use him, and he will find something if it's there.
I would fully recommend him to get to the bottom of whatever is causing the stiffness very quickly. We swear by him, and gave saved a lot of time and effort with our dag to day vets in the past.
My mums dressage horse was there a few months ago, as he was not coming through behind on his off hind, and we wanted to make sure it wasn't physical - thankfully for us it was weakness behind the saddle (not obvious) and we've addressed it through lunging and ridden work, with the peace of mind knowing we're not making an injury worse.

Marydoll

Visit site
If its as bad as you say why wouldnt you go through your vet ? He may need veterinary treatment, or pain relief until the problems resolved, by a combination of vet and physio