Horse falling over

maxapple

Visit site
My horse is 19. He is in regular light work (hacking mainly) and is doing well. He broke his leg 2 years ago so had months of box rest (3 cross tied also) but recovered well. He is ridden 5 times a week - once or twice in the school and hacks mainly walking but sone trotting and cantering.

In the past few weeks he has stumbled and fallen over 4 times in his stable. He seems to just buckle on his back legs but today he fell over when having a front hoof picked out. Each time he has just been tacked up - but shows no discomfort or issues ridden. He has front shoes only and we are thinking if putting backs on as we're doing lots of road work, but he doesn't feel foot sore.

He has a locking stifle on one back leg which could be sticking. He is fat at the moment - but would that cause him to lose balance??? I am struggling with his weight - he is out over night and in for 7ish hours in the day. He spends most of that sleeping - hardly eats any hay and has no hard feed.

It's happened twice with his loaner, and today with a girl who rides him in the week - never with me.

Obviously will get the vet if it happens again - but any ideas / suggestions?

pintoarabian

Visit site
It can be a sign of the onset of Cushings. Happened to one of mine, eyes would glaze and he'd fall over. The first time was when tacking up. He'd immediately get up as of nothing had happened. Get it checked and suggest Cushings because not all vets recognise this symptom.

LynH

Visit site
My old mare stumbles and only fell over once when having a poultice put on. I retired her as it is isn't worth the risk having that happen on the road and possibly ending up under the horse or both of you under a car. I also wouldn't hack out off road as what if it happened and they couldn't get up and you couldn't get them home.
If I were you I would get the vet and would never let anyone else ride him again and probably never ride him again myself. This probably isn't what you want to hear. I did think about riding my mare again but got a stern talking to from a good friend who pointed out that it is not worth the risk riding an elderly horse who has a history of stumbling/falling and it isn't fair to put the stress on them as they must feel awful losing control of their legs.

Superhot

Visit site
Definitely call the vet. I know of a horse with similar symptoms who was diagnosed with a heart murmur. It's a dangerous situation for anyone handling the horse and better to get it diagnosed sooner rather than later.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Vet. Stop riding. And end his sharers contract. Anyone handling him needs to ve very aware of the chance of collapse. And if at all possible you are the only person that should be handling him.

maxapple

Visit site
Sorry - very very Badly explained on my part after reading my post and replies !

To clarify he is not falling over as in going down fully - but his back legs have buckled slightly and he's almost sat down. He's righted himself quickly but each time it's after the saddle goes on / girth done up. Each time prob just after girth is tightened. Never with me as I do the girth up one hole at a time and do other things inbetween like put his bridle on, sort my hat out etc. However he is fine ridden.

He has a locking stifle which can really stick sometimes - more recently - making him have to sort of lean forward or backwards quite a bit to unlock it which may be related.

I will consult vet of course but i am thinking it is back related - possibly becoming cold backed???

babymare

Visit site
Just to back about calling vet when something strange happens my mare flung her head back putting reins over head. totally out of character. vet came next day . She was going blind. please call the vet please x

Booboos

Visit site
Stop riding him and call the vet now. If he does it ridden you could get seriously injured (coming from someone who has had to stop riding her horse because he is falling all over the place).

Blackwijet

Visit site
I'm no vet but I have known of a couple of horses with these or similar symptoms and they were both diagnosed with a form of narcolepsy - so it might be worth mentioning that to the vet. It can happen at any age and does require careful handling - doesn't usually affect them when ridden but I would still be careful about who rides the horse.

Abacus

Visit site
I have heard similar stories of horses going down after the girth was tightened and have seen it once. I seem to remember someone on here saying that there is either a vein or nerve close to the skin under the girth area which can be affected by a suddenly-tightened girth. Sorry for the anatomical vagueness but I just can't remember - try a search.

Either way though agree with the others and would get the vet, and stop riding him. Good luck.

Tayto

Visit site
Ditto everyone else about getting the vet.

A horse on the yard I am on has recently been diagnosed with narcolepsy. He was doing the same as your horse - his back legs would go down like he was going to sit down then just before he went down he would spring back up.

I think the vet are doing on going tests so not sure what the treatment/outcome is yet but this could the the same as whats wrong with your horse?

Hopefully you get to the bottom of it soon OP.

Last edited:

Joanne4584

Visit site
My horse would "sit down" when putting his saddle on and when I got on him to ride. It turns out he has kissing spine. Since he's had steroid and tildren injections he's stopped doing it. Maybe get his back checked.. the pressure of doing the girth up could he hurting his back? xx