Horse family jewels!

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Okay so another Q (or 4)regarding my 10 month old colt.
How long between first noticing a testicle did your colts fully drop?
I first felt one (right side) a few weeks back. Checked daily (by feeling) and after a week I felt two! Yes! called the vet and booked him in for the following week. A few days before the vet was due I could only feel one again, and just hoped it would come back down for the vet but it didn’t. Vet said he can sedate and see if it comes down but if it hasn’t then I’ve paid for sedation that was pointless so said to book him in for a months time and try again.the Vet came last week and this week I can feel two again! It seems the left is actually now sitting lower than the right which has moved up abit?
Do they usually move up and down like a yo-yo?? I thought they just moved into the sack and that was it! I’ve only had geldings and mares so this is new to me 😂
And as long as two can be felt then the vet can remove? Vet is booked in for 15th April. I’m just impatient and want them off as soon as! he’s so big already (measured 14.3) I’m worried when the “stallion” behaviour will kick in.

stormox

Visit site
Yes they move. And just because you can only feel one doesnt mean the other is retained, it might be just under the skin. We dont get ours castrated til 2 or 3 though.

Nasicus

Visit site
Lots of mammals' testicles move depending on factors such as temperature. If they're cold, they'll ascend to keep the sperm warmer, and if they're hot, they'll let it all hang out to keep them cooler.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Yes they move. And just because you can only feel one doesnt mean the other is retained, it might be just under the skin. We dont get ours castrated til 2 or 3 though.
Interesting! I thought that getting a horse castrated after 2 could cause complications?

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Lots of mammals' testicles move depending on factors such as temperature. If they're cold, they'll ascend to keep the sperm warmer, and if they're hot, they'll let it all hang out to keep them cooler.
I knew about them moving up and down in regards to temperature, but I didn’t realise that they would move independently if that makes sense? I thought either they were both down or both tucked up! Haha.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Sorry reword my above statement, I thought it was more risky to have a horse cut after 2. (This is only from what I have read online so could be rubbish but I seem to have seen it on more than one site)