horse feels choppy

muffy32

Visit site
I have just started to ride my horse again after a long period of not being able to ride him ( due to my illness, nothing wrong with him). I noticed that he feels a bit choppy and is a lot slower than usual. I have done all the usual tack checks, he has a HM Fheonix saddle, his teeth have been checked and I waiting for the Chiro to come and check him over but I wonder if anyone here could think of anything that could cause this?

Parkranger

Visit site
Without seeing him move it's hard, but I'd agree with unfitness. My boy got very choppy when he pulled his shoulder - it's a good description as I couldn't think of a word to describe it!

Rambo

Visit site
Lack of fitness and / or stiffness !

Trikey is often 'choppy' to start with...particularly in trot....but it wears off as he warms up. It was much worse when he was unfit though.

beaconhorse

Visit site
Probably not the case, but just a thought. Is there anyway you are slightly nervous and holding him in from the front? i.e. too much hand?

LadyB

Visit site
what do you mean by choppy? Taking little steps? if he has been off for a while and still eating as much as when you were riding him have you thought of laminitis??

might be way off the mark but just a thought....

when my horse got the first signs of lami she was fine whilst walking in hand ie up from field but as soon as she had tack on and being ridden she was taking little steps... however we did catch it very early so everything was fine... (thank god!!)

Happytohack

Visit site
I know just what you mean by choppy. Have been riding my new mare in a Torsion treeless saddle and have just had a treed saddle fitted, she is now very choppy in the new saddle, not so in the old Torsion which is worn out and a very sad looking thing indeed. Could it be that he has changed shape in the time he has had off, I don't know if the HM can be readjusted?

muffy32

Visit site
the saddle I have is made entirely of memory foam and is treeless, it should conform to my horses back and therefor not cause any discomfort ( which is the whole reason I brought it)

My guy is nine and has been out of work for a few years, we had the occasional ride when I was up to it but not for any length of time and generally all on grass or in a school.