Horse flies ???

Green Bean

Visit site
I had to buy a new fly rug as my mare has decided she needs a bigger chest and tummy going into summer this year - so glad it arrived on Tuesday as the horseflies were starting with vengeance this last weekend. Took my girl out for a hack on Sunday afternoon and I swatted at least 5 while we were out. Put on her old rug that is a bit strained on all sides as something was better than nothing and she dropped and rolled as soon as she was in the paddock, she must have been super itchy

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
I went to a pole clinic last weekend and i must have killed a good dozen! They were horrendous at this place and it was 1300 in the afternoon (I only really do early clinics/ lessons this time of year) so im annoyed i didnt notice the timings before booking because i wouldnt have gone. We are rather lucky where i keep the horse as they are few and far between but they are definitely getting bigger!!!

Chuffy99

Visit site
The cows have come up to the shade in the small woodland next door, I’m sitting in my kitchen and there are 19 horseflies in one window and 11 in the other!

sherry90

Visit site
They’ve been terrible this past week! Hacked out at 2:30pm and they were terrible! No fly spray seems to work / my usual isn’t even cutting it ?

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Only seen a couple, unfortunately one was attached to my arm when I spotted him.

Ouch.

Now have a large lump on my arm and it itches. Much itches.

The horses, thankfully, don't seem bothered by the buggers so I'm assuming the good breeze is keeping them [the horses] comfortable.

paddy555

Visit site
totally hopeless I have given up riding ATM. Horse got stung by something on his nose out riding yesterday whilst I got off to do a gate and the next thing he was half on the ground wiping his entire face along a grass bank. I had to lead him back he was in such a state. Horses came in at 9am today. They went out late afternoon. All the doors were open, they could all have just walked out anytime but they all chose to stay out of the flies.

we call them Mother f*kers the big ones. lol

I called them a lot worse than that!! :D I am totally pissed off with them.

J&S

Visit site
They seemed late to arrive in Devon but now they are here they are certainly making their presence felt. Fly spray does work but only for a very short time. Big horse in in the day and my ponies come and go as they please but quite often can be found inside out of the sun and flies.

Archangel

Visit site
One bit me on the lip the other day. To make matters worse brushing my horse's mane last night and it was full of bot eggs. Grrr.

Mrs G

Visit site
I HATE horse flies. Unfortunately they LOVE me and my poor boy. I stupidly ventured out on a hack earlier this week without our fly protection and we were attacked! Horse lost the plot (super-skin-sensitive tb) and in his desperation to get away from them we ended up reversing into a ditch! Fortunately he managed to scramble out and I somehow stayed on board but we both got a fright and other than a few (insanely itchy) bites no injuries. The person who finds a repellant/insecticide to deal with those vicious insects will make a fortune!!

jumbyjack

Visit site
They are dreadful here, the yard is low lying and loads of trees. The beasts get up early and go to bed late! Even the Shetland are getting bothered by them, that is a bit unusual. All horses are in during the day or they go bonkers.

Cheval Gal

Visit site
I agree, they have been dreadful. Horses were scrambling to come in early on Friday, poor things.

Wish there was a really effective repellent.

huskydamage

Visit site
One got me yesterday ? last summer one bit my ankle my foot swelled up so much I couldnt wear shoes for 2 weeks. I have been sticking loads of antihisan on this one but its starting to look bad, I need to wear shoes! If anyone can recommend any product you used to stop these things swelling out of control that works please let me know! I f?ng hate horse flies!!