Horse flies

windswoo

Visit site
Have seen the first blasted ones last weekend, will have to sort out rugs for the jubilee bank holidays!!!
At least the weather has been unpleasant since.
Why can't they just become extinct?

PurBee

Visit site
Going through midge hatching here - very heavy cloudy, still, damp weather and they swarm. I had considered we’re buggered either weather….if it gets hot n sunny the horseflies thrive…if the weather turns damp the midges attack.

dare i say, roll on autumn?! ??

Highmileagecob

Visit site
Oh no! The only thing that seems to offer some relief, at least on our yard, is a white fly sheet. Working on the assumption that the little beggars are attracted to dark coats. The bites trigger my lad's COPD. :mad:

Reacher

Visit site
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!
As above

(We live in midge heaven and bizarrely the horse seems more upset by midges than horse flies. But I can’t bear seeing them bite him)

windswoo

Visit site
I'm sorry guys, I wish it was a joke.
The red fly traps work really well unfortunately though they work better the more flies they catch, that then die that then smell, so keep them somewhere out of the way, but close enough to the horses so they get attracted to the smell of the fly trap instead of the horses (if that make sense)

oldie48

Visit site
Yup, I had one on Mr D when we were hacking yesterday. My lovely coloured horse, sadly no longer with us, was terrified of them and would go into a blind panic if they bit him. I bought one of those ride on fly rugs for him, we looked totally hideous but it seemed to do the job. I must get it out to sell as fortunately Mr D is a bit more sanguine about them.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I hate them one of my Arab's will buck leap and bugger off if they are particularly bad, I have to ride him very early or very late when they are about.

TigerTail

Visit site
I have one of the H horse fly traps they’re pretty good tbh, hopefully everyone caught is one less to breed ?