Horse Fly-proof rider wear

LHIS

Visit site
The dreaded time is nearly upon us, from the looks of another thread it is already here. I am an irrestible meal for the little buggars and none of my horsey clothes protect me from bites, despite wearing full length sleeves.
Does anyone know of any particular tops and bottoms that are bite-proof? I react quite badly and last year at the height had over 30 bites on my body, I puffed up and looked like a lumpy raspberry and had to go to hospital because the doctor was so concerned about me.
I would like to invest in some new gear that the little buggars can't bite me through. I don't care what it looks like! For the record of anyone reading this and wondering what I currently have that isn't bite proof, I have noble outfitters and ariat tops (all full length sleeves) in particular the Lauren top and Sunstopper respectively, and noble outfitters balance riding tights.
Recommendations please!

Coblover63

Visit site
I'm afraid I double layer and look like a tramp...with the top layer being a large men's shirt from the charity shop which I wear Fonzie style with the collar up. Worn over a pair of billowy wide leg linen trousers. Over a Tshirt and jods. I'm still vigilant but all that fabric generally means that if they land on me, they can't reach the skin underneath so I quite enjoy watching them land on me and then fly off again. I do take the linen trousers off to ride, but then I spritz my jodhpur'd legs with max strength Jungle Formula and watch them carefully. If I get bitten I do have an After Bite pen at tge yard and in the car and used early enough that can minimise my reactions.

Jo1987

Visit site
I've been bitten through jeans so I haven't any suggestions really, maybe try a zebra print onesie and see if you can confirm or disprove the theory that horseflies will avoid a horse in a zebra fly rug?!

LHIS

Visit site
I've been bitten through jeans so I haven't any suggestions really, maybe try a zebra print onesie and see if you can confirm or disprove the theory that horseflies will avoid a horse in a zebra fly rug?!

Haha might be an interesting test as I am a delicacy to them!

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Is there any chance that horse flys and mosquitoes are put off by similar things?

Craghoppers do a range of clothing with mosquito repellent properties. When I travelled to India I was advised to take a vitamin B tablet (can't remember which number B vitamin, Holland and Barret will know) because it would make your blood smell less tasty. The vitamin tablets were huge but I got bit less than on my first visit out there.

ponyparty

Visit site
Drink gin and tonic ;)

Actually I think the myth that the quinine in tonic repels insects has actually been disproved, but I'm willing to take one for the team and conduct further tests. All in the name of science of course...

sallyg

Visit site
Horseflies are attracted to dark moving objects so wearing light coloured clothes should help. Don't think I'm ready to unleash my legs in light coloured jods on the world though