Horse getting cast

Char0901

Visit site
Had a message on Facebook from a livery friend to say my yearling was cast this morning. She said she managed to help him up, he was fine, just frustrated he couldn't get up. When I got the message I'd just left the yard, friend goes up to hers at about 7 and I was there at 8. I really wouldn't have known anything had happened had I not got the message.
I did have thoughts he might have been getting 'stuck' sometimes as occasionally in a morning his bankings are pulled down etc.
Atm his bankings are about a foot high, and has a relatively thin shavings bed on rubber matting. His stable is plenty big enough for him to lay down and get back up. He's very gangly at the moment so maybe just couldn't get his long legs underneath him.
Makes me sad thinking of how long my poor boy might have been trying to get up for.
Any advice on what may help? Bigger bankings? Bigger (deeper) bed in general?

Thanks.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Solid banks, 1 ft deep and 1ft high, use shavings, it does not matter if they are damp.
Keep a lunge rein and hard hat and headcollar handy, think bout how to rescue him without endangering yourself.
You can still get anti cast rollers, but my boy got cast once and never rolled again in his stable. Put fresh bedding in early, not just before you leave.

be positive

Visit site
He may be pulling the banks down to have more bedding to roll on if the middle is very thin it will not be that inviting, once he has pulled some down he will then be rolling near the walls to get onto the soft deeper part, I would give him more in the middle as however big and solid the banks are it will not stop some getting stuck it usually just makes it easier for them to get up.
My old horse used to get cast regularly despite huge banks, he even managed to get too close to the wall in an indoor and lay there waiting to be rescued.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
He may be pulling the banks down to have more bedding to roll on if the middle is very thin it will not be that inviting, once he has pulled some down he will then be rolling near the walls to get onto the soft deeper part, I would give him more in the middle as however big and solid the banks are it will not stop some getting stuck it usually just makes it easier for them to get up.
My old horse used to get cast regularly despite huge banks, he even managed to get too close to the wall in an indoor and lay there waiting to be rescued.

I agree with the first part of this, that of the only deep part is near the walls when he has dismantled his banks then he will roll near the wall.

I do find with some horses though that they will get cast without a wall. They may well roll with a wall, but are not still there hours later!

So, sad to say I would have big banks AND a thick mattress.

monkeymad

Visit site
After my mare kicked the back of her stable wall out after getting cast, she had massive, thick banks,I now have anti cast strips which I think are far better than banks. I don't see how a bank of shavings will assist half a tonne of horse thrashing around to get a grip, no matter how thick they are.

LOZHUG

Visit site
Another vote for anti cast rails/strips to be fitted.

My boy got cast some 3 years ago, unknown to me he got him self out. Went down in the morning to turn him out and he was lame but couldn't figure out why. Took him to the vets and x-rays showed he had sustained a chip fracture in his hock from thrashing about. Sadly now has an arthritic growth in the hock.

Last week my old yard owners horse got cast (yard where my horse got cast) horrifically got her leg stuck in the rails (wooden up over 4ft if not 4 and a half foot and then bars round the top) at the top of the stable, had to be cut free, was taken to Leahurst as she had nerve damage down her face and one leg had an op and came through but sadly passed away the other day. Not sure if she hit her head or if it was the shock of it all.

Better to be safe than sorry - get anti cast rails/strips fitted x

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Anti cast strips are far better than banks.

Straw or shavings banked up will not give any purchase or real support to an animal the size of a horse. Here is an example of simple anti cast strips, these are up in a huge stable and despite the area the horses have to roll they still get up the walls. Please excuse the trussed up horse in the picture, it is a youngster having his first experience of a rug.

MGandTED006_zps27444e83.jpg

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Could anyone please explain the technical details of how anti cast strips/rails work? Thanks :)

When the horse has rolled up the wall they can (hopefully) get a hoof under the strip and get enough purchase to push themselves backwards or over to get back up.

LOZHUG

Visit site
When the horse has rolled up the wall they can (hopefully) get a hoof under the strip and get enough purchase to push themselves backwards or over to get back up.

Yes as AA said ^^^^^ gives them something to grip onto rather than getting grip and what the have their hoof on such as the banks / bedding it then moving/giving way. The strips are solid gives them more chance of getting their hoof leg against and being able to push them selves over/away.

alainax

Visit site

Yes as AA said ^^^^^ gives them something to grip onto rather than getting grip and what the have their hoof on such as the banks / bedding it then moving/giving way. The strips are solid gives them more chance of getting their hoof leg against and being able to push them selves over/away.

Thank you, I had looked into them but couldn't fathom out how they would work. Thinking that if if a horses legs were tucked in against a wall then bars on the wall would restrict him more. However, I never thought that he could use them for some purchase to slide himself away from the wall, rather than sliding up and down it trying to get grip. Makes sense now, thanks.

madmav

Visit site
What actually happens when a horse gets cast? Other than he/she can't get up. Also, does it happen out in a field?

AdorableAlice

Visit site
What actually happens when a horse gets cast? Other than he/she can't get up. Also, does it happen out in a field?

If you are really unlucky a cast horse will do itself plenty of damage whilst it struggles to get up, an older horse will exhaust themselves and need physically lifting (assuming they survive the stress).

A fit horse should not get cast in the field unless it manages to get bogged or in a ditch. An older horse may cast stuck and if that is happening it may well be the moment to call time. There is nothing more frightening for a horse than being unable to rise.