Horse getting over breast bar 3.5tn

Ellie2893

Visit site
I've just bought a new 3.5tn lorry, horse is backward travelling. Always travelled 110% perfect in trailer and in herringbone lorry but now seems to get wound up - only for the 5mins on leaving the yard and tries to get over the breast bar...

Any ideas? I'm terrified he'll hurt himself and I travel alone so it's quite scary when I see it in the camera!!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Is it a single bar, possibly a bit low or completely filled in & at a good height?
MIne is 5ft high & filled in down to the flooring & not had prob with anything trying to climb..

Straight off as a temp fix, put horse on pillar-reins - clip a rope to each side of the headcollar and tie to each side, giving horse a little bit of movement but not lots.

Also - check your tyre pressures (I know, its an odd one!) but some boxes roll more than you think when tyres are down on pressure and more so on start off when horse is finding his feet, which can in turn worry horse.

You can get all sorts added - climb board (fit onto a heavy duty breast bar & flare out at 45 degree angle for a foot or so then straight up & fit up near ceiling) or weave grills (not my favourite tho).

So, what breast bar do you have op?
Hope you get sorted as rather worrying.

Ellie2893

Visit site
Is it a single bar, possibly a bit low or completely filled in & at a good height?
MIne is 5ft high & filled in down to the flooring & not had prob with anything trying to climb..

Straight off as a temp fix, put horse on pillar-reins - clip a rope to each side of the headcollar and tie to each side, giving horse a little bit of movement but not lots.

Also - check your tyre pressures (I know, its an odd one!) but some boxes roll more than you think when tyres are down on pressure and more so on start off when horse is finding his feet, which can in turn worry horse.

You can get all sorts added - climb board (fit onto a heavy duty breast bar & flare out at 45 degree angle for a foot or so then straight up & fit up near ceiling) or weave grills (not my favourite tho).

So, what breast bar do you have op?
Hope you get sorted as rather worrying.

It's only just been built and is a 13 reg so I doubt tyre pressure is an issue but will check.

It's a solid bar which is solid to the floor about 5ft high. He's only 14.2 so it's quite a way up for him!!

I have contacted the guy who built it for me to see about a weave grill but I'm scared hell get his legs in the little gap!

I'm a worryer anyway but it's quite scary to see his little missions to escape every time we're out! Not really like a boxing issue where practice will make it easier I don't think!

Thanks for relying :)

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
If horse tries it on any more, then I'd consider getting a climb board as I mentioned above.
They are 'removable' but not something to put in & out quickly, but will stop something going over (apart from a pigeon or similar) as there is usually only 4 or 5 inches at best at the top for airflow.

Tia0513

Visit site
Don't want to cause you more worry but my brothers horse tried jumping over the breast bar in a 3.5 rear facing lorry and ended up stuck. Took three fire engine teams to remove him. The breast bar, which had already been heightened, was solid to the floor and the fire officers advised the transporter should install a bar that could be quickly released for situations like this. Our horse was a seasoned trailer traveler who obviously was unhappy in that type of box. He walked away with a bit of soreness but he wont be tried in one again. Hope you get it sorted because it is such a scary situation to be in.

montanna

Visit site
This is reason I had mine modified to be totally blocked off.

Leaves a handy place to store saddles, and saves hay getting in the back as well as eliminating the issue you are having.

If the horse is threatening to go over, I wouldn't continue to travel it in there.

9E130691-5FDE-421C-A66B-9D8892FF0E81-324-00000039DD281B8E_zps0a40befe.jpg

ihatework

Visit site
I've known a couple of horses REALLY object to travelling backwards.
Anyway you can adapt yours to forewards facing if the situation doesn't improve?

YasandCrystal

Visit site
What side are you travelling your horse on? I had a mare that couldn't tolerate travelling kerbside - she would literally fall down, but travelled fine driver side.

ttt

Visit site
We have never had any issues with horses in ours but just to be on the safe side, I have also just had mine converted and now have a removable wall so nothing can get over and I can remove it when I want to.

Bernster

Visit site
Don't want to cause you more worry but my brothers horse tried jumping over the breast bar in a 3.5 rear facing lorry and ended up stuck. Took three fire engine teams to remove him. The breast bar, which had already been heightened, was solid to the floor and the fire officers advised the transporter should install a bar that could be quickly released for situations like this. Our horse was a seasoned trailer traveler who obviously was unhappy in that type of box. He walked away with a bit of soreness but he wont be tried in one again. Hope you get it sorted because it is such a scary situation to be in.

Blimey, always thought that was a bit of a myth, as I had heard this but never come across anyone who'd had a problem. I've seen ones with the extra board up to stop this happening, adds to the weight bu if you only travel one that may be ok.

Tia0513

Visit site
Yeah. We have heard of some more since, one was a friend of a friends horse at a show who did the same thing whilst she was left tied up in it. Makes me very weary of using them, but there are loads that travel safely in them as well.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Since he is small, is the bar too high? He's having to learn a new way of travelling and balancing during acceleration and braking may require him to lower his head/neck more than is possible, causing him to panic until he remembers.

I've seen horses go up/over/under/through travelling in any configuration you can think of. Nothing surprises me and people seriously underestimate the trouble a panicking horse can get itself into! It's also a very common way for people to get hurt.

I'm assuming you don't have a camera but have you had someone knowledgeable watch him during the period he usually panics?

I will say, too, I've seen quite a few horses that don't load/travel well in these. There is no obvious reason but there must be a reason. Of course most are fine in them so it's likely just finding the key for him. :)

Last edited:

kathantoinette

Visit site
Sorry can't offer any advice other than can you made alterations to the breast bar so that it is too high to get over. My horse was the opposite - went over the breast bar in the trailer, right over and got stuck. Luckily old trailer so pulled the pin out and then the bar just pushed off the bracket. The trailer gave him enough room to get right back to get over, if that makes sense. There was no bum bar just a strap right at the back of the trailer. I used to tie him very tight to the front of the trailer so he couldn't get back to get over.

When I changed to my 3.5t lorry he travelled perfect in it. Facing backwards. The breast bar is very high and there wouldn't be enough headroom to get up and over.

christine48

Visit site
Don't want to cause you more worry but my brothers horse tried jumping over the breast bar in a 3.5 rear facing lorry and ended up stuck. Took three fire engine teams to remove him. The breast bar, which had already been heightened, was solid to the floor and the fire officers advised the transporter should install a bar that could be quickly released for situations like this. Our horse was a seasoned trailer traveler who obviously was unhappy in that type of box. He walked away with a bit of soreness but he wont be tried in one again. Hope you get it
sorted because it is such a scary situation to be in.

I've heard that too that's why I'd have one that was completely filled in at the back.
There were some super ones on a stand at Osberton. They had full doors in front of the horses heads, yet there was the option of opening these doors. The other thing I liked was that the rear grooms door was wide enough to get a horse out too.

marioforever

Visit site
My horse has tried to get over the breast bar in my 3.5t so I put a tie ring down low (if you have a fixed, solid breast bar) and tie her head to tie ring and the low ring, so she cannot get her head high enough to raise her front feet and clamber over. This works very well for her as she can stand normally but dosent have enough leeway in the rope on the bottom tie ring to raise her head and rear up. She dosent panic when restrained, but may not work for everyone. Just a case of trial and error but def worked for mine. Hope this may be of some help.

Clava

Visit site
Stupid question, but when horses travel herring bone they often have no breast bar as such so do horses who are travelling backwards actually need a breast bar? (My old lorry has the horses forward facing so it not something I have had to consider but just wondered?)

Wilbur_Force

Visit site
I think if there's a way for a horse to get into trouble, then they'll find it. I have seen these boxes with a full solid breast bar but I prefer the blocked off ones or the ones that have some sort of ledge, so that its limits the chances of escape. Having seen a horse impaled on a weave grill from trying to jump over, it's something I'd never consider. Good luck

Malteaser

Visit site
I have done this also in my Horsebox.... My mare wasn't a good traveller at all and did threaten to jump over quite often. She's been fine since putting the wall up though. I think all 3.5t rear facing boxes should have this done, it's much safer than weave grills.

This is reason I had mine modified to be totally blocked off.

Leaves a handy place to store saddles, and saves hay getting in the back as well as eliminating the issue you are having.

If the horse is threatening to go over, I wouldn't continue to travel it in there.

9E130691-5FDE-421C-A66B-9D8892FF0E81-324-00000039DD281B8E_zps0a40befe.jpg

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
Not a cure for your problem by any means but woud it help ifyou could see what he was doing? We have a Go Pro camera which we can mount in our trailer and watch and listen to our horse on our iphone attached to the dashboard of the 4x4. Its really handy and might give an insight into what the problem is and try to prevent it.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Not a cure for your problem by any means but woud it help ifyou could see what he was doing? We have a Go Pro camera which we can mount in our trailer and watch and listen to our horse on our iphone attached to the dashboard of the 4x4. Its really handy and might give an insight into what the problem is and try to prevent it.

The OP states that she sees the behaviour on her camera!

montanna

Visit site
I have done this also in my Horsebox.... My mare wasn't a good traveller at all and did threaten to jump over quite often. She's been fine since putting the wall up though. I think all 3.5t rear facing boxes should have this done, it's much safer than weave grills.

Totally agree :)

EmmaB

Visit site
Does he only do it at the start then settle down? Maybe he will just have to get used to it and eventually stop doing it, and maybe tie him tighter for now so he cant get up? Ours travel in one and are so distracted by the haynet that I don't think they'd even think about it. Saying that though I know one lady who had a similar style box and the horse got stuck halfway over into the jockey area, he managed to get himself back into the horse area but I think some see the jockey door and make a bid for freedom!

Like others have said though if you can block off the top half it should help, I don't think I'd risk a weave grill.

montanna

Visit site
Just a thought, could you fix a a tie ring low down in the horse area, below the partition and tie him using those bungee snap ties so he can't get his head up to go over?

kentridingclubber

Visit site
Have seen two go over at shows. One a pony was pushed /lifted bacl as not fully over. The horse came right over and attempted to get out the back. He had to be cut out by fire crews.
So i'd get some sort of grills up before u travel again.
However tho horse obviously isnt happy (he could have told you before you got aforementioned shiny new box!!) So maybe try out some different options.
Do you use a partition for eg, maybe for the first few minutes when to be fair a lot of horses are fidgety, he just needs to move, sp perhaps no partition would allow him some side ways movement which may help.

I travel mine rear facing with no partition. He never leant on it so pretty pointless and he seems very contented being able to choose a comfy way to to stand. So just an idea.