Horse going hysterical by herself, advise please!

Solo1

Visit site
Our livery yard have just turned all the horses out onto the summer paddocks, which are about half a mile away down a grass track, screened by trees.

Now, they've gone out onto lush grass and none of them come in at any point until September, bar farrier work, and those who are ridden. My mare used to come in and be stabled on her own - however she could see the horses in the field opposite, or one lami pony was always in (this is on the old yard).

Only 3 out of 28 horses get ridden regularly (as in once a week) and most owners don't work so go down in the middle of the day and get in and ride then.

So I was worried about lami with my mare so brought her in the first night. The stables are in a nice cool barn, but also means horse is totally isolated - can't hear or see any other horses. She threw herself around the stable madly, then seemed to run out of energy and just stand still whinnying and eating her hay. However I was worried she'd kick off without me there, and when her hay had gone, plus she was in a sweated state, so I hosed her off, walked her around to dry her off and turned her back out (which she was an absolute devil with, in eagerness to get back to her friends!)

Yesterday I brought her in to ride, she was an absulote cow once again. She was spinning and kicking out and being a pain in the backside. Managed to get on (with mothers help!) and walk and slowly trot her round for half an hour in the school. She tried to buck once but got a telling off and got sent forwards, however she wouldn't listen to me at all and was calling a lot and just jogging sideways everywhere.

Basically, I suppose my question is, what do I do with her? My plan was to bring her in every day until she realises that being by herself won't kill her and she will go back out eventually. There's no way I can bring another horse in as I'm by myself and each of them have various qualms and quirks - plus I don't think YO would allow it. I can coordinate at weekends with the 3 that do ride, but I'm eager to ride her everyday now she's staying out and not coming in to soaked hay at night. Also the night before competitions she's always had a rest. How long should it be before I see an improvement, or is she unlikely to improve because, well, it's instinct?

ETS - DOH! spelt advice wrong! Sorry people.

Last edited:

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
It takes a good month for a horse to settle into a new routine, but saying that my 21 year old mare cant be left on her own as she cant cope but our appy can. Xx

murphysmummy

Visit site
I had thus prob when I moved my boy from a busy riding school to a 3 horse livery yard! I made sure I rode every day at roughly the same time. I also had all my tack etc out by him so I didn't need to leave him. After a couple of weeks he settled and I was able to pop to the tack room and gradually increase the time he was alone. It took 6 weeks but he's very settled now.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Can you put her in a pen inside of the main field and just let her out to graze at night when the grass sugars are lowest?

Solo1

Visit site
Wagtail and Planete - YO has allowed her out with her old lami prone pony and they're now being strip grazed on a patch of weeds and grass that's been eaten down, so there's no longer a need for her to stay in which is good :)

I shall persevere with what I'm doing then and hope she settles into a routine then. Thanks all!

china

Visit site
Just carry on as you are, bring her in, completely ignore her antics and she will soon get a grip. My youngster has been away for schooling and my tb was beside himself for the first couple of days then he just munched on grass. The field he is in is about 300 yards down a track out of site of the yard which he goes out in the day and he comes in for the night where he can see the others. I have actually continued this now my youngster is back and the youngun goes out at night while the tb is in as they get extremely attached which drives me mad!The tb whinnies but doesn't run around so I'm not bothered. It's unlikely she will kick off when you are not there. I'm abit old fashioned I guess and I let my horses know it is unacceptable to misbehave when taken away from others as they both compete and dealing with that when your on your own, well I can think of better things! they are both angels and they call for each other but soon forget about it as they know where the treats come from ;-) maybe try a firmer hand.