Horse got onto road today

RunToEarth

Visit site
My own stupid stupid stupid fault.
Got back from riding and led horse into stable. Takes tack off and shoves it over door, throws rugs on and starts faffing about with neck cover with door ajar, Oshk nudges door open and off he pops, out the stable, down the yard, past the house and half a mile down road to Bertha and Hurk. Dont think my reactions have ever been faster, I flew down that road like sh*t off of a shovel in a flurry of tears, some grusome images flashing through my head, as horse gallops over brow of hill, closely followed by a me. Caught him fine, legs in tact, just a little puffed. Walking back upto house gave me a little time to reflect on it though...
Luckily, hoss has half a brain and went down the right side of road, and there was a very obliging motorist and a dry stone waller there to help me, but seriously, that could have been one very nasty accident.
I am far too complacent with things, I have been so used to Bertha that I forget who I am dealing with.
Mum has warned me, since I was a child not to do it, used to toddle about with bertha on the end of a rope when I was about 5, and from the age of 10 I used to fetch her in from the field halterless, mum always said it would end in tears but I never listened...
Suppose 4 years of Bertha following me round put me in bad habits, mucking out with her loose in the yard, I cant ever slip into bad habits with Monty because he is so bolchy and rude, but Oshk is so quiet and polite, and I forget he isnt bertha. So, there you go, me being forgetful and almost causing a very bad accident. Oshk is now in stable, have covered his legs in ice tite, by instruction by vet, who says he will be ok.

Jemayni

Visit site
God, I had the same thing with my horse last year, I very intelligently left the door open with the wheel barrow blocking it, like I did daily. Then for no reason he jumped the wheel barrow and galloped off - fortunatly he got 2 the yard exit and sort of got frightened and waited for me. But still most terrifying thing ever!

Hope ur Bobo is ok!

Skhosu

Visit site
Oh dear, but it happens! Don't think anyone has ever not had a horse escape on them.
At least he should be fine!
Hope the legs stay ok,but can't see a problem.

LauraBR

Visit site
Eeeekkk! That is my WORST nightmare! SO glad the lovely one is ok, naughty boy!

Hope you are ok too and not too shaken *passes glass of wine*
smile.gif

jess_asterix

Visit site
this happened to me when loading asterix!
it was so scary i had hold of his leadrope for about 100 yds whilst he was galloping and i have never run so fast in my life, then i just had to let go as he was pulling me over, thank god he ran into the nursing home next door and luckily no cars came!!!

needless to say when we load him now gates are shut, bridle is on and he is dads hands!!
smile.gif

Tia

Visit site
You think that's bad........I lost 12 horses one day, including the stallion!!
shocked.gif

I had electric-fenced one of the hay fields off - the one behind the house so was allowing horses to go in there during daylight hours. Anyway they somehow managed to break through the fencing of the field they were in and wandered across the fields to my neighbours farm to say hello to her horse. The ironic things was that we were outside on the deck doing a BBQ......right next to the field! I assumed the horses were all in the big barn. Neighbour phoned hubby and was chattering about this and that and then finally said "ooh have you lost some horses? They're all over here visiting with my horse!" Hubby asked how many, she said 8......there should have been 12......

Anyway we whizzed round there with a couple of halters and there they all were, little blighters. I grabbed the 2 herd leaders and little daughter grabbed her pony and the stallion and we set off back over the fields to our farm. Every one of them just walked perfectly quietly - no problems whatsoever and we put them back into their proper field. Our farm is at the end of two dead-end (very very quiet) lanes thankfully so no roads around us.

It happens to all of us from time to time - they sure can keep us on our toes.
cool.gif

beh

Visit site
Ditto, i lost my horse on the road today with new shoes on (feet all cracked now
frown.gif
), thank god he didnt go too far before turning and galloping for home but my heart was in my mouth for the whole time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! scary stuff

GTs

Visit site
Happened to me too - they do get met with a thorough telling off!! Running from Papasita will get you in trouble!!

Oaksflight

Visit site
I'm always leaving door ajar when mucking out, and to be honest hardly lock it if I'm nipping in and out with ginger one, he never does anything. But now I'm at uni, I keep getting told off for doing things the lazy way as so used to with Hal and him being fine about it.
crazy.gif
Glad Oshk is ok tho!
smile.gif

riotgirl

Visit site
Don't beat yourself up. I broke 3 fingers last year due to leading my horse without a leadrope. I started using one again religiously, but my dad says he has now noticed me slipping back into bad habits. We all cut corners and take things for granted, fortunatly it doesn't matter most of the time. It is jsut the odd time when something goes wrong that you reflect on things.

loopeepee

Visit site
Dont beat yourself you love. He is all tickadiboo!
At work the other day, did exactly the same thing . . and lost one of her v expensive (not by any means saying Oskh isnt!!) horses. He raced down to the field he knew he was going to be put out in, and took ages to catch. The whole time, I was giggling - not good - because he just had this smug look on his face. I so nearly opened the gate and put him out without a rug, rather than two rugs, a hood and turnout boots all round. Does make me cuckle how they are cotton wool syndromed!