horse hair matting up in wool numnah

Cragrat

Visit site
I have wool numnahs (wool on a fabric backing) from LeMeiux and Premier Equine. I've had them many years, and use them directly on the horses back(whats the point oherwise tbh). They wash well, I vacuum them quite often, and wire brush them between rides. However, they have all built up quite thick mats of horse hair well and truly woven into the numnah. This is now so thick they need replacing. Would proper sheepskin be les likely to develop this problem? Is the hassle of washing sheepskin worth it? Or just stick to wool and accept they need replacing every few years?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I tend to view those knitted on wool pads as consumables as I never found a way to stop that happening.
I don't find the same problem with skin-on wool pads.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I gave up in the end and only use them with a thin cloth between them and the horse now.

milliepops

Visit site
Its mats going through the knit though. I used to brush my nuumed ones religiously but they still end up with mats between the quilt and the wool facing the horse. I don't think there's a way to avoid it as the holes in the knitted fabric make it easy for horsehair to work through and then you can't brush it out again.

The only other way is to take the numnah apart, remove the mat and sew back up.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Horse hair works its way everywhere doesn’t it?

I took an old rug apart to salvage the fastenings and bindings and inside the bottom edge was a long roll of hair. It made me pause as most of the hair was from my beloved old mare long since gone.

I have stopped using wool or sheepskin since I have had horses with grey hair. That seems to make matts more quickly.

Cragrat

Visit site
have you tried grooming them with a dog comb?
I regularly use those bent wire dog brushes, and I tried a normal comb...I even tried the air compressor :)

MP - I hadn't thought of taking one apart - definitely worth a try on the worst one! And I think I will give a sheepskin a try - if I can bear the hought of washing it :)

little_critter

Visit site
I don’t use sheepskin now but have in the past and it wasn’t bad to wash. I used the special wool wash liquid and smeared some human conditioner on it beforehand, then washed as directed.
I guess the biggest issue is drying it, but that can’t be too much different to fabric backed wool.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Take it apart.

Sheepskin - leather is (mostly!) impermeable to horse hair. I say mostly because my dog's hairs can occasionally work their way into my feet, though only the tips (and flipping painful it is too!!).

Sheepskin - only use conditioner if your brand says to do so (I believe Le Mieux recommends it), don't do it on Mattes sheepskin, use Melp leather wash as they recommend. Wool wash is for wool, the most delicate part is the leather, so it needs leather wash. Wash on wool wash and dry slowly.

little_critter

Visit site
Take it apart.

Sheepskin - leather is (mostly!) impermeable to horse hair. I say mostly because my dog's hairs can occasionally work their way into my feet, though only the tips (and flipping painful it is too!!).

Sheepskin - only use conditioner if your brand says to do so (I believe Le Mieux recommends it), don't do it on Mattes sheepskin, use Melp leather wash as they recommend. Wool wash is for wool, the most delicate part is the leather, so it needs leather wash. Wash on wool wash and dry slowly.
Sorry - I wasn't clear. I use a wash that is designed to be used on sheepskin, not your bog standard Daz wool wash ;)

McFluff

Visit site
I’m now wondering if I’ve missed something as never noticed matting on my nuumed pads. I’ll need to inspect them when Next in the yard. I use a cat slicker brush on them and they are 4-7 years old. Food for thought.

milliepops

Visit site
I couldn't see them, only feel them. Really press the full thickness between your fingers and see if you feel a thicker area. Mine built up mats between the tree point sort of area and roughly under where my seatbones would be. The hair works in between the quilt and wool layers.

Cragrat

Visit site
I do use the wire slicker brushes, but my numnahs are a good few years old too. You can't see much but if you lay them on a hard flat surface and run your hands over you can feel a dense firm mat, especially towards the rear of the bearing surface. When you part the wool, there is more horse hair than wool at the base.