Horse height's, what is the right size?

Blizzard

Visit site
Hmm, ok, my other half has been seriously bitten by the horsey bug, so much so we are buying a horse to share but that will primarily be his horse, to learn and grow with.

Now the thing is, my partner is 6ft 5, and Im 5ft 5!
He has been learning to ride on y 14.2hh welsh mare, but of course it isnt practical as she is far too small for him! His legs reach her knees. Now he has mastered the basics he is keen to learn to jump, so we decided to look for a horse together.

Because of my boyfriends height I know we need a big horse, we have a Latvian Warmblood on loan, and as you can see in the pic he is a bit too small, and he is 16.2hh:
DSC06571-1.jpg

Anyway we have heard about a lovely 17.2hh hunter type who sounds perfect for us, we are going to see him this weekend, does anyone else have any tall hubbys who ride and is this about the size horse you would be looking for?

I love big horses and have no issue with having a gentle giant like the chap we are going to see.
grin.gif

monica123

Visit site
ummm - well he doesnt look that heavy tbh lol but i agree with height - also make sure you can handle it which i am sure yu will
laugh.gif
yoou must be so excited to see the hunter
laugh.gif

good luck with the hunt
laugh.gif

Blizzard

Visit site
Thank you!

yeah he is a skinny one LOL but has such long legs, he finds it hard to keep his seat secure and give the leg aids because he has been riding horses that are too small for him bless! Ends up with legs wrapped around my 14.2!

teapot

Visit site
Would say anything chunky over 16.2, especially heavyweight

So a 17.2 will be fine
grin.gif

Depends on build though - the 16.1 shire x at the yard is the main ride for the all the 6ft plus men

ecrozier

Visit site
We have just got a 16.2hh chunky monkey hunter type for my OH, he is not quite as tall though...I reckon you will need to go for at least 17hh, if the one in the pic is 16.2hh!!
Good luck!

WeeBrown

Visit site
Hi

I'm in nearly the same situation as you. I'm 5ft 1 and husband is 6ft 2. We can't afford two horses (and anyway are not really overly experienced in looking after them - had stable management classes and ponies when younger) so are looking for one horse to share. We have been looking at 16hh mw - to hw horses.

SpruceRI

Visit site
Something with a deeper girth/wider body would be better as it will take up his leg. Cleveland Bay, Irish Draught X, Shire X. Doesn't have to be a massive horse, just broader.

Blizzard

Visit site
Tate well my welsh is quite broad and can easily carry him, its just hard for him to ride properly when he is kicking at freesh air under her tum ha ha!

Madhossy, the one we have in mind is out of an Irish mare, and dad was a warmblood x TB, so he is a middleweight.
smile.gif