Horse holding leg up after I have picked hoof out.. suspensory?

Visit site
Wondering if anyone has any advice or knows if this is a suspensory related symptom or hoof related… long story short our boy (now 16) has been semi-retired as a walk hack/lawn mower since being diagnosed with chronic PSD with a small tear in the left hind 2 years ago. Had shockwave but never went fully right again but was no longer really classifiable as lame and very happy being an oversized dog hence why being left and not pursuing other avenues of treatment. Anyway fast forward to today and I notice whilst he’s bolting round with his friends messing about in the field he looks worse than ever (was only ever 1/10 lame to start with back when was diagnosed). I brought him in and he was intermittent lame in walk and lame in the few trot strides I asked for. Picked his feet up but when came to the left hind (suspensory leg), and noticed a small hole/cavity in the sole (no pus from what I could see or abscess symptoms), after I had finished picking it out he was incredibly slow to put it down. In the sense he almost froze before gently placing it down when he is usually very fast to put it back down! Picked it up again twice and the same thing happened. Does anyone know if this is a suspensory thing? In the sense that the bent angle is less painful or is it more likely to be something else? and/or linked to the hole in the hoof sole?
Hope this makes sense all very stressful as he really is the heart of our family and not great timing with the bank holiday tomorrow!

nutjob

Visit site
IME hoof issues cause more severe lameness than suspensories. I would suspect this is the foot either a bruise, an abscess brewing or recently burst. Give the foot a good scrub and see what's going on with the hole, if it's a recently burst abscess he may be much better tomorrow. Pain in the foot would also explain not wanting to put the foot down. One which I had with bilateral hind suspensory issues didn't want to lift his legs up not the other way round.

Equi

Visit site
My old horse did this. He had an old injury that caused suspensory issues and hock/fetlock arthritis. Hard to say which of these caused him to put the foot down slowly but I feel sure it was the suspensory.