Horse Hunting - Does this sound suspect?

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
I went horse hunting today. Went to look at 2. first one was supposed to be 15.2, 5 YO ridden XC and PC rallies by novice. She had no muscle at all, was very thin with a huge belly (poss. worm damage?). It turned out she had been on a XC course once and had done a local show. The worst thing was that there was no way she was 15.2, more like 14.3. Do people think potential purchasers are completely stupid? Any way horse was ridden for us – poor thing had a swan neck as novice rider was virtually holding the bit rings. She was very very very green and napped for England. Neither daughter nor I wanted to push her as she just looked in such a bad way, after 10 mins she was sweated up. Suffice to say we wont be going back, shame though as she potentially has 3 lovely paces – if you were after a 14.3.

Next one was 16.1 6YO – owner had bought as an eventer but selling as no time to bring on. This horse was gorgeous and super to hack out but when taken into the arena would not budge, even for owner – they said she in not normally like this (it was raining very hard). The other thing I found v suspect was that she had never been jumped ever, and had never been out anywhere, despite being bought as a potential eventer – Would any one else find this suspicious in a horse which is rising seven? The owner has another horse which she takes XC so its not as if she doesn’t jump. I agree in bringing horses along slowly but this is ridiculous.

Does anyone think I should go back and try again when its not raining or do you think this sounds suspect. I am worried they may have tried jumping her and found she doesn’t like it or something - Or am I just completely paranoid - help

jemstone

Visit site
No it sounds very suspicious. I am a firm believer that a rising 7 yr old should have at least done a few bits, this is assuming it was backed at say 4yr or so. I would raise the issue with the owner and see what they say. If you really like this horse then maybe go back but i would be careful with it, something doesnt add up! Good luck!

merlinsquest

Visit site
Leave well alone.... poss unsound horse if never been out, might be very good reason for lack of experience... stage fright, navicular!!!!

You will never know.... but better to walk away i think.

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
Thanks - I think I will walk away, we are in no great hurry. At this time of year its enough work with just our 14.1 and our companion pony.

Its just so frustrating. You ask so may questions on the phone before you commit youself to a visit, then when you get there its completely different. When I sold our first pony I tried to be totally honest. I didnt want someone to waste their time looking at a pony that wouldnt be suitable - mind you even then I had complete muppets come to see him.

I feel I am turning into such a mistrusting suspicious person.

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
i totally agree with the others. its so frustrating when you go to see a horse that isnt what you expect. i once went to see a grey gelding which turned out to be a dun mare *sigh*...

georgiegirl2

Visit site
i would personally avoid. buying horses takes time. we have been after an ex racer for a while with the hopes of bringing one on as a potential eventer and it has taken us a few months. now when i look back at the others i have been to try im glad that twiggy arrived on friday. its far to easy to get caught up when buying horses and get something when your looking which might not necessarily be right.

I would assume at 7 a horse should be going over showjumps. xc wouldnt bother me so much as i like to do that myself but it the rain bothred her that much i'd leave well alone. after all, we dont all event in the sunshine!

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
To be fair to the horse it was blowing a gail and pelting down with rain and hail. Saying that my extremely sensitive pony will still go forwards in heavy rain! But I do agree if there is any doubt walk away - Its nice that other people think that it doesn't sound quite right too. I am sure the right horse is out there somewhere.

beh

Visit site
If you went out to a competiton and it started raining, it would be helpful if the horse with move as it does tend to rain in jolly old england
smile.gif
walk away, there are plenty more fish in the sea,
laugh.gif
Good luck

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I wouldn't go back to see it again. There's obviously some problem there. It's strange how horses seem to do something that 'they've never done before' when a buyer comes to try them out?

There are loads of horses out there for sale & will do all you want and more without any hang ups. Just keep looking and you'll find the right one.

Good Luck
smile.gif

Oldred

Visit site
Hi I think I just visited the same horse in Norfolk (the first one). I said she's extremely thin and have you wormed her and she said I was the first person to say this! Certainly not 15.2 and owners very novice. The owner said she was for sale as she was too small for her as she's very tall and heavy. When I commented on her lack of condition she said 'yes, but she was much smaller when I bought her and she has put on weight'. I asked how long she had owned her. Two years! I feel so sorry for the poor mare. Are there any sound, sane horses in good condition, well schooled enough to work in all three paces on both reins, wearing tack that fits for sale in East Anglia?

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
Oldred - Small world, was it allegedly a polish warmblood, lovely markings, mostly black with a flash of white on rump and neck. If it was the same horse I am pleased that you thought the same as me. Poor horse - hope someone nice who wants a 14.3 ish goes to look. We want a young horse so my daughter can bring it on without having to deal with hang ups that other people have imposed on it, not a welfare case.