Horse hunting..... Grrrrrr !!!

Bustalot

Visit site
Sorry this will probably turn into a bit of a rant. :rolleyes:

I am just getting soooo frustrated with this horse hunting malarky. Been at it 4 months now and only have had one sniff of a horse i liked whom was severly overpriced for what he was and in the current market so chose not to continue when the owner would not accept an offer.

I just can not seem to find anything that I like. Not many adverts are standing out to me as something that I would want to go and view, even when i speak to them on the phone i still don't get excited about viewing the horse. I just seem to go along as another one to view and rule out what i don't want in a horse.

There just doesn't seem to be many for sale for the 'type' i want. Just a nice all rounder that is capeable of low level BE. I can not get anywhere near a TB type as it seems to be 'fashion' at the moment to get an Ex racer. Cheap horses normally with potential. As soon as they are up sale they sold within a couple fo days.

Also true IDxTB seem to have disappeared they are now classed as 'irish sports horses' Which seems to be a very broad term. The amount of Irish COBS I have seen that are advertised as irish sport horses are laughable. Nothing wrong with a cob there are some great ones out there. But not what i am looking for.

Amount of mileage and petrol going in to my car also over these past 4 months is also reaching silly levels.

People keep telling me 'the confidence riding all the different horses will bring to me'. 'Think of the money i save each month from not having another horse'. 'Who wants to ride in Jan and Feb anyway?' But i just want my horse to ride now and start to bring on. I don't want to still be looking April time when the prices are hiked back up for the fair weather riders and then we spend all summer getting to know one another rather than out and about enjoying the summer.

Sorry this is an absolutely pointless post. Just had to let some of my frustration out :(

I know the right horse is out there for me, just got to find them. Or wait for them to be put up for sale. So to the person whom ever owns my next horse please could you put him up for sale now so i may buy him. Many thanks :)

Anybody else having a hard time horse hunting?

BigRed

Visit site
I am in the same boat. I want a nice horse who will hack alone and be capable of doing some BD. I am not looking for a superstar. I have also driven miles to see horses who are not at all happy to hack, let alone to hack alone. I get there and they say - oh we only go in the school, or put them on the walker... Horses who have health issues that are not declared when I ask about them prior to taking the day off and driving for 3 hours. The number of horses who have sarcoids when you arrive, but did not have them when you make that first phone call... Horses that people say are working at Elementary when they can barely walk, trot and canter in a circle. Horses that bite and kick you when you go to say hello to them.

I am not looking at particularly cheap horses either...

sleepykitten

Visit site
If it makes you feel any better, I'm selling at the moment and just seem to get timewasters or people that are completely unsuitable or ask stupid questions and expect the horse to be a complete saint all the time even when he' s been advertised as suitable for an experienced rider!

Grrrrrrrr too!!!! ;)

Bustalot

Visit site
sleepykitten - yes can see from the selling point of view it is probably grrrrr as well :)

Just feeling frustrated with it all. Although BigRed all the sellers i have spoken to have been very realistic about their horse over the phone and i haven't had a nasty surprises as yet. Apart from one dealer whom i went to :rolleyes: lol

Kaylum

Visit site
Also true IDxTB seem to have disappeared they are now classed as 'irish sports horses' Which seems to be a very broad term. The amount of Irish COBS I have seen that are advertised as irish sport horses are laughable. Nothing wrong with a cob there are some great ones out there. But not what i am looking for.

That reminds me a dealer near me who said she got everything from Ireland. When in fact it cost too much for her to go to Ireland and choose and import but what she did was go to the auctions 10 minutes and call it irish because where is the evidence its not?

Trakehner

Visit site
First Question: Why does everyone "need" a 17.1 hand giraffe of a horse? Way back when, a true 16 hand TB was considered a big mount.

Second Question: Colour...why does colour matter? No good horse is a bad colour. I had one idiot girl whine to me she couldn't find a nice copper-penny chestnut to match her hair (really!). After hearing this I suggested she try another dye to match her horse..."CLICK" went the phone (that's the trouble with cellphones, you can't slam them down to hang up).

Third Question: Height...travelled 2 hours to look at a 16.0 hand Arab (Polish bred, they can be bigger). The two girls were washing a pony when I arrived. "Oh, this is him" they said. "16 hands?" I said, "Well, he stood him up to a big horse who HAD to be 16 hands, so we guessed he was too!" Arrrrgh! I now tell people, "I'm bringing a measuring stick, he'd better be the height you claim or it will not go well." I usually get a bit of silence and a comment of, "Maybe, we'd better go measure the boy, we'll call you".

Fourth Question: If someone is scheduled to come try your beast, why is he filthy and still out in the field, oh, and he's missing a front shoe!

Fifth Question: If I'm asking X, and you offer X-50%, why do you look so surprised when I chase you down the lane with a fork and profanities?

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I just can not seem to find anything that I like. Not many adverts are standing out to me as something that I would want to go and view, even when i speak to them on the phone i still don't get excited about viewing the horse. I just seem to go along as another one to view and rule out what i don't want in a horse.

I have to say that I know exactly how you feel, although I was very lucky to find my dream horse after only 2 months. I've taken this quote from your post as I very nearly didn't go to see him. His main advert picture was him jumping a 6 foot high & wide hedge and his other one was him standing very tall & proud having won a Hunter Championship. I thought "this horse will be too much for me".

I only rang & went to see him because he was fairly local (about 25 miles away).

He came out of the stable and I knew instantly that he was the horse for me. Had him just shy of 4 months now, and he is just wonderful, the horse of a lifetime.

So....they are out there. Have you tried contacting your local hunts? They often know of good horses for sale (mine was actually a hunt horse, but has also done BE & showing).

Crazydancer

Visit site
Whatever you do..... HANG IN THERE!!!! I was in EXACTLY your position this time last year, it seems like a lull time in the market for some reason. I was off every weekend, and my confidence getting more and more battered, and like you, felt almost like I was 'ruling them out' rather then getting excited. You run out of excitement after a few months...... then I found a mare, locally, who didn't do anything wrong. I bought her as she ticked the boxes etc. but didn't 'fell in love' with her instantly. I really regret that now, she is very sweet, admittedly not as easy as I thought she'd be, but not problematic, but I just haven't 'clicked' with her. I really really wished I'd waited a few more months, as come March/April there were horses galore.
Take your time, get the right one. :)

clare1691

Visit site
If it makes you feel any better, I'm selling at the moment and just seem to get timewasters or people that are completely unsuitable or ask stupid questions and expect the horse to be a complete saint all the time even when he' s been advertised as suitable for an experienced rider!

Grrrrrrrr too!!!! ;)

Yup, getting this too. Please don't expect a big young horse to be a dope on a rope - I haven't claimed he is so don't imagine he will be! :(

SaharaS

Visit site
You could always buy my lovely youngster & back him...;-D see I'm full of great ideas...he's definitely got the breeding & bloodlines...oh and is TBxID and rising 4...not mentioning any more incase I get kicked off for advertising in a thread!...and that would be "Jumbo" after such a "Brief Encounter":D

indie999

Visit site
I posted on here many times as I couldnt find a happy hacker 110% road proof etc colour irrelevent etc etc

I gave up. That was end last summer? I have given up completely and lost the will to be honest. Big Porkers etc etc. Travelled miles and everyone kept saying you dont need to do that!! They were right, I should have stayed at home!

The last "non never EVER bucking" horse bucked threw me off and I completely lost the will.......with what had seemed a genuine seller who wasnt. The owner got on and it buckarood all the way!

I now happily look after my lovely companion horse and merrily poo pick give him a carrot or etc and he has my undivided attention! I just dont think the old type hacking horse exists.............menaged out!

Sorry I am not being much help but completely symapthise. I got it into my head this week I actually need a couple of donkeys to keep instead! I even looked at the Donkey Society last night and am thinking to go on a course to see if its my thing?? Good luck I love reading if someone finds THE ONE! with pics of course

Javabb94

Visit site
I am in the same boat,

I'm looking for a horse to BS but at the same time is sane and sensible and a confidence giver, but can I find one?

I have looked at every equestrian website known to man and found about 5 I like :eek:

There seem to be hundreds down south but none up north or
In Scotland so at a loss!

I am going to see a 17.2hh piebald Warmblood x TB Wednesday who is just what I'm looking for.Only thing that worries me is size!
I am 5ft 11 though And my legs were nearly dangling over the edge of a 17hh :eek:

flowersgirl

Visit site
One of the girls at our yard is selling her 16.1 thoroughbred. He's coming up to 9 years old, ex pointer, absolutely loves his jumping so would possible make an ideal eventer. Only for sale as he's only doing general hacking/lessons so not being used to his full potential. He's not a novice ride but a perfect gent in all other aspects. He's in Newport, South Wales if anyone is interested let me know :)

sleepykitten

Visit site
I posted on here many times as I couldnt find a happy hacker 110% road proof etc colour irrelevent etc etc

I gave up. That was end last summer? I have given up completely and lost the will to be honest. Big Porkers etc etc. Travelled miles and everyone kept saying you dont need to do that!! They were right, I should have stayed at home!

The last "non never EVER bucking" horse bucked threw me off and I completely lost the will.......with what had seemed a genuine seller who wasnt. The owner got on and it buckarood all the way!

I now happily look after my lovely companion horse and merrily poo pick give him a carrot or etc and he has my undivided attention! I just dont think the old type hacking horse exists.............menaged out!

Sorry I am not being much help but completely symapthise. I got it into my head this week I actually need a couple of donkeys to keep instead! I even looked at the Donkey Society last night and am thinking to go on a course to see if its my thing?? Good luck I love reading if someone finds THE ONE! with pics of course

I was so sad to read this indie, I bought my mare (not for sale!) 5 years ago and she was the first horse I saw, she is fab in traffic and with livestock and hacks for miles and miles and miles on her own.

I got her on horsemart, so do not despair!! they are out there!!:D

huntley

Visit site
I have been looking for months!!!! It is such a waste of time and money - am now thinking I am going to have to make another youngster which I really do not want to do. Just looking for a nice, mannerly horse to hack out alone and hunt quietly. Doesn't seem to be any difference if I look at expensive or cheap horses. I am very experienced and confident, but some of the ones I have tried have really tested me. Actually, I am so desperate I am even considering getting our nappy, quirky and retired horse back into work!!!!

dollymix

Visit site
it is disheartening - I feel your pain, a was in the same boat at the end of the summer when i was looking for a new horse. The number of horses I called about, questioned their owners, went to see...and disappointment. there was a large proportion that we didn't even sit on as they weren't sound and then had the 'why what's wrong with him?' in whiney voice.... 'sweetheart, if you don't even know that your own horse is lame, it's not for me to tell you'!!!!

But I eventually found my girl and am really pleased with her. On paper...she didn't tick that many boxes...wanted 15.3-16.1 - she is about 16.3/17hh...wanted an older schoolmaster - she is a 5yr old (but very honest and gave me such a fab feel jumping cross country when I tried her that i thought 'what the hell') So although she wsn't what I had originally planned, because I kepy my options open and was open minded as to what to look at, I found a really nice horse!

I visited horses up and down the country...some days going out at 8am and getting back at 6pm feeling her down. But in the end, my girl was only 40 mins from home!

What will be, will be! Keep your chin up...keep looking. I'm sure your ideal ponio is out there!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Indie999, the problem is that when someone has a super hacking horse - the kind that will go over motorway bridges, through woods with scary deer, down busy roads and pull up after a canter through a stubble field - they will probably never sell them.

I ended up going through a bloodstock agent to find mine, she was originally bred for endurance and she's fab.

Have you considered an endurance or ex-endurance horse?

Cello_song

Visit site
I am also struggling to find what I want - a registered welsh section d, 5-9 yrs old, must b good to hack but don't mind a bit green. Lots for sale down south within my budget but seen nothing in Scotland! I'm also really put off adverts that say 'not in work, sold from field'. So pretty please can someone put my new pony up for sale!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I went all the way to Harrogate from Worcestershire to see a proven show horse. Offers over 9K, being sold on behalf of owner in a professional yard.

Lovely horse as described on advert and with a traceable and very successful competition record, it was presented to me with 2 shoes off and a very relaxed sheath.

Unwilling to let me ride it on the busy road outside the yard, they dragged the horse to the school, I could not get it to trot let alone canter and when it started to wobble rather alarmingly I got off it.

I handed the horse back with the comment - "you have given it too many ACP tablets", and I am not as inexperienced as you think I am"

Unbelievably they rang me a fews later and said the horse was having an off day and would I like to try him again !!

That was a few years ago and I had a good amount of money to spend so it was not a situation of trying find a decent horse for peanuts. I had wasted a days annual leave, alot of petrol and it had pushed me to the limit emotionally because I was trying to find a horse to take the place of my own very special and recently lost show horse. The Harrogate horse was about the 16th horse I had looked at over a period of 2 months and the only one that matched the advert. I can vividly remember sitting in my car in tears of frustration before driving for hours to get home.

Good luck to those of you trying to find your special horse. I found mine eventually.

Tangaroo

Visit site
Im another in the same boat. Looking for 16 -16.2 MW gelding to do BE90 on and enjoy hacking alone and in company. Just a fun allrounder. I have been to see one but cant seem to find anything unless im prepared to travel to yorkshire or that sort of distance. I am in Dorset on the south coast. Im prepared to wait though to find the right horse. Will probably be drawing my pension when i find it:p

ridefast

Visit site
Reading posts like this makes me loath to advertise mine as I don't want a load of numpties to turn up! (not calling you guys numpties just hearing your experiences) However my perfect horse turned up when I wasn't even looking, started riding out a friends youngster thinking would be an easy project and realised I enjoyed her so much I never wanted to stop riding her. So she's mine, and she is one of those *nearly* 100% to do in every way even though she's only rising 5 :) And complete opposite breed I was thinking of, but perfect horses are out there.

Natz88

Visit site
It's dishearting I no, but you will find something hang on in there. I now believe the horse will find you, you won't find the horse.

When I was looking last year I ended up looking at 10, had 2 vetted that failed, 3 we went to look at I didn't even get to ride as they had some kind of health issue (but people didn't tell us on the phone), then found a lovely young mare & the evening of the day we went to see her we phoned up to say we would have her & she had sold to the person that came after us. Then the others were just not suitable so I said to my mum thats it not bothering now, didn't look or anything. Then couple of weeks later decided just to have a mooch on the net, saw a lovely yougnster went to see him twice, had him vetted & he passed. He wasn't the height I wanted he is smaller, but he was everything I had been after so I sacraficed the height & he has been a little gem. So don't give up as it will happen :D

morrismob

Visit site
Been trying to sell my daughters horse since before xmas, I know not a great time. Hardly any calls and a couple of viewings and have to agree with some of these posts on the sort of horses people try. Our mare is a lovely kind girl who is proven at low level BE, BS and done all PC stuff. Hacks alone or company and even copes with great danes that jump out of their garden to see her !!

She is a forward going jump machine, will jump off any stride but she does love it but will do it from a trot, doesn't buck, nap, rear or bolt off but we had one girl who looked like she was hating every second so I said that to her and she replied " she's forward going, I am not used to it" Her Dad then had a bit of a moan that this happened everytime she tried a horse and they had been looking for 8 months... hmmm perhaps the answer was in the ad" a forward going mare who loves to jump" I try to be totally honest when people call as much for the mare's sake as anyone's but some buyers are not as honest when it comes to what they want. Good luck to all those buying and selling it's a funny old business

Goldenstar

Visit site
I rarely sell horses and when I do never advertise but buying is awful people are dreadful I can't declde if they are deluded or just get so many numpies that they think they can get away with murder.
I irrerogate people on the phone to try and weed out as many as possible all seem to be miles from home you drive there with a mixture of anticipation and dread as part of you prepares for another waste of time and money so I don't envy all you who are looking or at the moment those of you who are trying to sell.
however the horse for you is out there !! Somewhere

NeilM

Visit site
I do feel sorry for all of you; either selling, or trying to buy, but the stories you guys come up with are priceless :D

It is also heartening to find so many people who refuse to sell a horse to an unsuitable person, as there seem to be far too many newcomers, with 'eyes bigger than their bellies' if you get what I mean.

Good luck to all of you, and for those trying to buy, NFED web site has some good adverts.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Totally agree Morrismob, I advertised a hunter, clearly stating he was a big strong ride. Told everyone that rang he was a man's ride and not for the faint hearted and he was for sale because I couldn't ride one side of him and he was unsuitable to do anything but hunt or teamchase.

Had 3 viewings over a weekend from 3 teenage girls who I refused to let ride him. What a waste of time. He was sold to hunt in Leicestershire, bought by a chap who turned up with a lorry, gave the horse a spin round the fields, jumped a set of rails and trotted him up the main road, paid cash and took him there and then un vetted. He had a bargain because that horse was sound and as tough as old boots and a safe ride if you liked going quickly.

I viewed a horse for myself a while ago, got to the yard, it was still in the field, (6K horse), after it was caught the owner couldn't get it to go into stables. On the trot up it was lame but the owner didn't know and to top it off the horse bit it's owner, picking her up by the front of her coat and threw her across the yard. It was advertised as potential H/W show hunter. It was actually 17.2 of lame rudeness with a nice pedigree.

kp31

Visit site
It isn't just sellers though, some buyers are completely unrealistic about what they want and what they are capable of riding! I have a lovely 17,1 gelding that has been for sale for a year now. He has won loads of BS show jumping, been xc, won dressage, CT and hunts like a dream, hacks in the heaviest of traffic. His only issue is he has slight sweet itch in the summer! Surely at least that is something that can be treated than can be seen and doesn't affect him can't be that bad? In fact you can't even tell he has it at the moment! I don't even want big money for him i just want him to go to a nice home where he can be loved and do his job. Wasted phone call after phone call and i have just about given up. People see him and say they didnt' realise 17.1 was so big! Well how big did you think it was?! I do think some people just want an afternoon out. I know some sellers are very econiomical with the truth but i have been very honest.

So good luck to all buying and selling, it is a rubbish job and i wouldn't be doing it at all if i could help it!

jaquelin

Visit site
I think if you are buying, you might consider identifying a dealer that can source what you want. That means you will have to visit some dealers and find out who you can work with. There are some out there who will do this (in Devon I suggest you look up Mark Bosanko.) I eventually got mine through a fairly specialised dealer who found him in Ireland for me. He is younger than I would have liked (just 4) but otherwise fine. Because he was young, his price was quite reasonable, so I am having him produced for a few months.

Before that, I went through all you are now going through, so I have great sympathy for how you are feeling. Good luck!

s4sugar

Visit site
I viewed a horse for myself a while ago, got to the yard, it was still in the field,

As mine live out I would always have the horse in the field rather than in a stable when someone arrives. They can then see how the horse is to catch, groom, trot up, tack up and watch it warmed up. Then ride in a school or on a hack.

It is a long time since I sold one but the time wasters then included people who moaned that they couldn't get straight on & jump and the perennial favourite - first horse for a riding school rider when mare (near TB) advertised - green as just brought back to work after rider pregnancy.