Horse Hunting in Ireland

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I am just beginning to search for my next horse and with my budget, I will most likely go over to Ireland. When is the best time?

Looking for 16.2hh - 17.1hh bay or chestnut gelding aged 4+ Only stipulation is it must be broken and a nice person.

TheMule

Visit site
I think you should pick a time when plenty of people can go with to help. I hear school holidays are the best....

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Have a look at the websites of Cavan horse sales and Goresbridge horse sales, they will have the dates and catalogues of upcoming sales to help you plan your trip.

Gone hunting

Visit site
Just a thought, but why not looking in England first. I bought my Irish horse from a Chap who imports horses from Ireland. He buys them from the Gorsebridge sales and has certain people that he buys from. I bought direct from him because I knew if the horse wasn't suitable I could change him for another horse. There are lots of dealers who import irish horses. Originally I was going to Ireland to buy direct but I wasn't that confident that I knew what I was looking at and if the horse turned out to be unsuitable, I couldn't send it back. Hope this helps.

only_me

Visit site
There is a 4 year old chestnut gelding for sale, 16.2 backed and riding doing small stuff and is by the same sire as billy.
Still with breeder, and they all have fab temperaments! :)

LEC

www.youtube.com
I might pop to Irish Horse Imports but can be difficult to get hold of. I just want to cut the crap out over here of badly produced, over priced or just not good enough. Ireland is just a lot more professional in approach to see large volumes of horses with the breeding I want.

Only Me can you send details as would buy unseen on video and photos for the right price.

LEC

www.youtube.com
In my experience they tend to be less messed around with and understand forwards. I don't mind green as used to producing that but think the raw materials tend to be better priced than in the UK.

nuttychestnut

Visit site
There is a dealer in the south west that might fit your bill. Horses are shipped over direct from Ireland, backed and then sold here. Price ranges from £2 - £4k max all very green but nice horses. I didn't buy as I knew that I didn't have the experience to buy something so green. For the life of me I cannot remember his details but his ad is in the Horse and Hound all the time.
I went for a slightly more educated 5 yr ISH, paid extra for this, but its nice to know that I don't have to play with my life when hacking a baby down a very busy A road!

amage

Visit site
If you are going to come over you would be best waiting on the March Goresbridge sale. March and Sept are the two biggest sales, better quality stock and larger numbers. What are you looking for?

LEC

www.youtube.com
I want an eventer. The dream would be a handsome Harlequin du Carel who was 16.3hh with great brain, movement, and jump without being stupidly sharp as I know a few of them who are very hot.
4 or 5yo ideally but I dont have much money! I would be upset to be horseless until March but would like more bang for my buck so could have some patience and it will give me a good chance to look in the UK first.

irishdraft

Visit site
Someone I know who is a professional eventer with links in ireland & irish husband has said decent horses are now actually expensive in ireland so you may not get the bargain you are hoping for

icestationzebra

Visit site
I want an eventer. The dream would be a handsome Harlequin du Carel who was 16.3hh with great brain, movement, and jump without being stupidly sharp as I know a few of them who are very hot.
4 or 5yo ideally but I dont have much money! I would be upset to be horseless until March but would like more bang for my buck so could have some patience and it will give me a good chance to look in the UK first.

You'd like a nice HDC :) - they are not all 'hot' but do have something about them and are quick to learn. Very pleased with mine - he came through Goresbridge.

only_me

Visit site
Someone I know who is a professional eventer with links in ireland & irish husband has said decent horses are now actually expensive in ireland so you may not get the bargain you are hoping for

Quality horses have always made good money in Ireland - I'm in NI.

I tried lots of horses before finding billy - travelled half way down Ireland to buy a horse 10mins from me :p There are a few pro yards near me and have very nice quality horses but if you are after a specific type they can source them and bring them to the yard usually. very handy! :)

CBAnglo

Visit site
I think unless you go over and definitely get something, the cost of trips to view in Ireland could eat away at your budget (unless you are relatively close). When I was looking for a connemara a couple of years ago I saw one about 30 mins away from me; he had come from the "sales" in Ireland and was quite nervy and green having been passed around 2 homes in the UK. He also had a dodgy leg but was a nice enough person. For the same price, I bought a 4 yr old from Ireland, had it 5 stage vetted (equivalent) + xrays of hind legs and transported to England for the same price as the pony I went to see.

I didnt have the time or funds to go and try anything out so used an agent (from a friend of a friend) who went to see about 12 ponies in a week, took extensive videos and photos and called me after each viewing. I also gave her a checklist of things to ask each breeder/owner.

I could have bought at least 6 of the ones that she saw (and was almost tempted to buy two but had to be sensible and just get one). He was exactly as described.

I think you have more of a selection in Ireland if looking for Irish horses. I was looking for something just backed/unbroken and ended up with a 4 yr old who could do the basic W/T/C (only in straight lines) and pop a little jump and so I have been able to re-school him to the way that I want (classical dressage). He did not know what any of the basic aids meant - he only knew kick to walk, kick kick to trot and kick kick kick to canter. If you stopped kicking he also stopped. If you put a little jump up in front of him he could run up to it and throw himself over it. He now knows leg on means step under; although he has been a lot "slower" than any of my TBs have been to learn things he has the right attitude (most of the times) and I dont have to worry about the high winds when riding!

cundlegreen

Visit site
I've just bought two 3 yr olds from ireland, having only seen photos of them. But, they came from the breeder who couldn't have been more helpful, and they were unspoilt. Donedeal is like a sweety shop of irish horses, but the Irish just don't seem to do decent photos/videos, which makes buying from the UK a bit of a lottery. I'm now looking again for something older that knows its way out hunting with a view to eventing. There's no doubt that the irish just get on and go with their youngsters, some of whom are established across country by the age of 5!