Horse hunting is for the birds

Caol Ila

Visit site
Still on the hunt for my hacking buddy. I've looked at a few horses, and I'm hoping for a second viewing on my favourite one on Sunday, if the weather doesn't chase us off, but I might not be worthy of him, as his owner is (rightly so) very picky about who she sells horses to. Plus, it could always fail a vetting.

This market sucks. One would think that one could find an unambitious but sound happy hacker for 4K or less, but they don't seem forthcoming unless you're prepared to drive really far.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Well, a second viewing is good. At least they haven't totally dismissed you as a potential buyer. I hope it works out for you.

I don't know why this market is still so crazy, demand wise. Like, why are horses still selling like hot cakes?

Caol Ila

Visit site
I don't know, either. But it isn't ideal. Wish I'd made this decision faster because there were some awesome horses (like Toby) but I wasn't in the right head space then. I've also not yet resigned myself to driving for hours to look at horses, which significantly limits the market. There are a lot more horses in England.

I'm Dun

Visit site
Well, a second viewing is good. At least they haven't totally dismissed you as a potential buyer. I hope it works out for you.

I don't know why this market is still so crazy, demand wise. Like, why are horses still selling like hot cakes?

Sound genuine horses are few and far between, so people are buying unseen within minutes sometimes. This means theres even less horses and prices get pushed up again. Its showing no sign of slowing down either.

I managed to find one with no issue, but my only criteria was gelding, safe, sound and over 15.2hh. Something that jumped and I could turn into a nice quality RC all rounder. And thats exactly what I got for 3.5k. I made some compromises on some things, but nothing off my list of criteria.

I dunno, I never have an issue buying a horse so I'm always a bit bewildered when other people do, but I think people are often looking for the perfect horse which frankly doesnt exist. And I also dont let terrible ads put me off. I judge the horse itself rather than what the current owner says about it.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Good luck with it. Hope you get lucky on Sunday. Any horse would be lucky to have you as their human so I am sure the sellers will be able to see that.

Ambers Echo

Visit site

More buyers deciding on a horse instead of a holiday
A global pandemic helping people change priorities and seize the day a bit more
A shift to home/flexible working making the practicalities more manageable
Reduced availability of horses from the continent and Ireland due to Brexit
Reduced availability of leisure market horses because breeders could not make sound, sane all-rounders profitable to breed

I think current prices are here to stay a good long while.

Bernster

Visit site
Yup, those top 3 partly explain my decision to get a 2nd. Although having just done that, I’m calling top of the market as that would be fairly typical of me!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
I was so incredibly lucky with my latest purchase. Her advert popped up on my friend and trainer's FB page the day after I lost my previous horse very suddenly on October 1st 2020. I said it definitely felt too soon, but as the mare in question was exactly my sort and only 15 miles away I would be silly not to view. I emailed the seller, tried the mare on 8th October, said I would buy her subject to vetting and not throwing her toys out of the pram at the competition she was already entered into on the 10th at completely coincidentally my trainer's yard. She was vetted on the 15th October and came home on the 19th. In all honesty it was too quick emotionally, but I have never once doubted that she was the right pony for me, and have absolutely no regrets. Your next horse is out there CI. Something will appear and everything will just happen as it's meant to. Good luck. xx

scats

Visit site
Good luck for the second viewing. Millie’s old owner wanted references from two people (my lovely farrier and a fellow yardie provided these for me) and I had to photograph my BHS certs to send to her, plus photos of my yard. As much as it was a bit of a faff, it also proved to me that she had nothing to hide with this horse and that she genuinely had her best interests at heart, so I was happy to oblige.

coblets

Visit site
You're making the right decision not travelling far for a horse. I took a 4 hour train to try one, just to be told that they won't sell to a 'P*ki'. Brilliant. Now if only they had refunded me for the train tickets...

Caol Ila

Visit site
There seems to be so many more logistics needed with travelling far. If the seller (or you) wants multiple viewings, that's a ball-ache. You probably won't want to go back down for the vetting. If it falls through, you'll wonder why you drove three or four hours or whatever to view it. It will be more expensive to get it home, since you'll probably have to use a commercial hauler instead of your mate with a lorry.

palo1

Visit site
You're making the right decision not travelling far for a horse. I took a 4 hour train to try one, just to be told that they won't sell to a 'P*ki'. Brilliant. Now if only they had refunded me for the train tickets...

Sorry if I am getting the wrong end of the stick but you received racist abuse when you went to look at a horse? I am furious on your behalf if that is the case and they certainly didn't deserve your (or anyone else's money). Total lowlifes. I don't suppose you felt like reporting that sadly:( If it is any comfort, I once drove from South Wales to Bolton Lancs to look at a horse on a Sunday morning; fully scheduled appointment confirmed by email and had had several phone conversations with the owner - when I got there the owner just texted me that it was no longer convenient to her...Stupidly I hadn't got the details of other horses for sale in the area so I just turned around and went home! I was home before my OH who had got up at the normal time and travelled 5 miles to move some cows on foot about 2 miles lol!!

I also missed out on a good horse once because I couldn't get to the owner's place due to snow. A lot of snow. They sold that one over the phone to the M.E along with about 10 other horses as a job lot for endurance; for years I wondered what had happened to that mare. Gutting. It is hateful buying a horse from private sellers; I have found the best way to do it is to buy decent youngsters from a stud or dealer tbh - there seems to be a load less hassle that way (apologies @Caol Ila - I know that is not your experience!!). Good luck to everyone viewing this weekend.

PSD

Visit site
Sorry if I am getting the wrong end of the stick but you received racist abuse when you went to look at a horse? I am furious on your behalf if that is the case and they certainly didn't deserve your (or anyone else's money). Total lowlifes. I don't suppose you felt like reporting that sadly:( If it is any comfort, I once drove from South Wales to Bolton Lancs to look at a horse on a Sunday morning; fully scheduled appointment confirmed by email and had had several phone conversations with the owner - when I got there the owner just texted me that it was no longer convenient to her...Stupidly I hadn't got the details of other horses for sale in the area so I just turned around and went home! I was home before my OH who had got up at the normal time and travelled 5 miles to move some cows on foot about 2 miles lol!!

I also missed out on a good horse once because I couldn't get to the owner's place due to snow. A lot of snow. They sold that one over the phone to the M.E along with about 10 other horses as a job lot for endurance; for years I wondered what had happened to that mare. Gutting. It is hateful buying a horse from private sellers; I have found the best way to do it is to buy decent youngsters from a stud or dealer tbh - there seems to be a load less hassle that way (apologies @Caol Ila - I know that is not your experience!!). Good luck to everyone viewing this weekend.

That is so frustrating. I love right near Bolton, so I know how long that journey would have been for you!

palo1

Visit site
That is so frustrating. I love right near Bolton, so I know how long that journey would have been for you!

Yes...it was a few hours of my life I won't get back although it was a reasonable journey and fabulous scenery in places. I was so thrilled to be going to view the horse then...nothing, literally turned the car round on the edge of Bolton and back home!! Never again will I go so far for a horse that is only possibly for sale.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I used to travel 3-4 hours but I have had so many awful experiences with horses who were just totally mis-described. Not to mention rude sellers. So now I have a strict 2 hour limit.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site

They said WHAT..?!?! ??? Im pretty much speechless..!!!!!!
I am so very sorry that happened to you, what absolutely horrible people ?????

coblets

Visit site

Honestly your story sounds worse, given that you didn't get a proper reason for her changing her mind - I take it you didn't try to reschedule ;) Plus I got to see the look on the face of someone who thinks everyone with a 'British' name must be white. Took the seller a good minute to figure out that I was actually who I claimed to be.

Caol Ila

Visit site

Yeah, I had that thought back in February. Seemed like a good idea at the time.:rolleyes:

palo1

Visit site
Honestly your story sounds worse, given that you didn't get a proper reason for her changing her mind - I take it you didn't try to reschedule ;) Plus I got to see the look on the face of someone who thinks everyone with a 'British' name must be white. Took the seller a good minute to figure out that I was actually who I claimed to be.

That is very kind but I can't agree. I can't quite express how mortified and furious I feel on your behalf; I was just massively inconvenienced but not on the receiving end of unacceptable attitudes! Blimey, people can be grim. So sorry.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I’ve found it more difficult this time too.

Buying horses is usually very straightforward me. I generally know what I’m looking for. I effectively buy off the ad, and treat the viewing as a double check that everything is as described. I don’t think I’ve ever done a second viewing. I have everything vetted but tend to send a vet at the seller’s convenience, and only attend if it’s easy for me to do so, and then pay in full immediately if it passes.

Not difficult, usually.

This time around, I had cancelled viewings, sellers changing their minds the day before, lame horses at viewings, prices doubled midway through discussion “due to market”, horses presented terribly unprofessionally and with no facilities to even see them trot properly.

I do not understand what has changed so much but it’s not just you CI, things are thoroughly odd at the moment.