Horse-hunting, Round 2 - stringhalt:(

jaquelin

Visit site
The search continues and I travelled many, many miles today to see a horse with stringhalt! Was it advertised as such? No. Was it mentioned in my several conversations with the seller? No. Mentioned very casually when brought out of box. Very evident on both legs, less evident but not entirely gone in work. Seller (an agent for the owner) seemed to imply that a horse could pass vetting with this condition. I would be surprised.
I am sure that those with the condition in their horses can manage it in many cases, but it surely makes the horse difficult to sell and the price would have to be knock-down, which this was not. My suspicion is the seller wanted to keep the horse on sales livery and was trying to persuade the owner that someone would come along eventually and pay a high price for the horse - dishonest all around, in my opinion.
Moral of story - do not travel great distances to see a horse....

Black_Horse_White

Visit site
I know 2 people who brought horses with stringhalt, one passed a 5 stage vetting. They have both up to now not had any problems, they jump and have been hunting. One his now in his 20's and still going strong.

Meandtheboys

Visit site
My boy has stringhalt - causes no issues...................and passed vetting 5 years ago.

Depends what you want the horse for and I am sort of saying if it was the right horse it wouldn't put me off now that I have experience of a horse with it.

Seller should have advised you pre your long journey, a bit cheeky really!!

emmab13

Visit site
See, this is why honest people are unable to sell horses.

What is the point in not saying about ANYTHING wrong with a horse before people come. Whether its got a splint, if its a bit backward for its age, if it hates ditches, if it needs the vet to clip it.

It should be reflected in the price and mentioned if not on the advert, in the initial phone call.

Poor you, I'd be embarrassed if I got one of mine out and never even put a saddle on it!

jaquelin

Visit site
That was my point - she should have said something before I came down. It has also been on the market a long time, and offers keep falling through.

I know many people manage stringhalt well, but it really put me off, and afterwards, I was advised by several people not to consider it. I suspect that those who have bought with stringhalt got a good price - she was asking a high one.