Horse Hunting

Helga1980

Visit site
I currently have a horse on partial loan but have decided to buy my own in the new year (won't have the purchase money until then but could afford monthly upkeep). Saw an advert in local tack shop today for a nice sounding horse for loan or sale, I would approach it as a loan with a view to buying.

16hh TB x sec D gelding. 8 yo, chestnut with flaxen mane and tail. Good to shoe, clip, box and in traffic. Not novice ride. Has done a bit of everything, loves going out and having fun. Would make ideal PC / RC horse. Suit competitive rider and has potential to make great jumper!!

* Would you consider him? Or should I wait until the NY as planned? I'm looking for a RC allrounder to maybe BSJA (BN/Disco) and am happy to school something on.

* What do you class as not novice ride, I think of it as some sort of bucking bronco that will try and take off with me but other have said it could just be that he's a little strong/spooky at times.

* It's years since I last bought a horse, what on earth should I ask if I call up about him?

HELP
crazy.gif

Skhosu

Visit site
I would class not a novice ride as:
a) Strong/spooky
b_ bucks or rear
c)loony
d)owner doesn't want plonkers trying it.

I would ring and ask why they have put that as it annoys me when people say they won't even consider not a novice ride, what do they want you to put, complete beginners bargain?

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
You just can't tell until you go and see them. I put 'Not Novice Ride' on my pony's (Ella) advert however a Novice could have ridden her if I'm honest but just wanted her to go to a home where she was going to be competed and enjoyed to the fullest rather then just plodded around.

I would go and have a look, you don't have to ride it if you don't feel like he is for you. Just be honest with the seller, they will understand if they are half reasonable!

Helga1980

Visit site
Thanks both, I think I will give him a go. Just need to figure out what I should ask when I call
tongue.gif

Neither I nor my instructor consider me a novice (it feels very arrogant to say that), I've just have known some sellers use 'not novice ride' as a get out clause for ill-mannered, badly schooled bucking broncos!!

Hornby

Visit site
You will have to look at a lot of frogs (unless you are lucky) before you find the horse of your dreams so it can't help to ring up. "Not a novice ride" can mean "only WFP will stay on" or sensitive, forward thinking horse that respects the aids.......let us know how you get on!