Horse Insurance £75 per year for vets fees - worth it?

indie1282

Visit site
I'm a member of the Harry Hall One Club and noticed that they are now doing vets feed for £75 a year. It only covers accidental injuries up to £1,500 and disposal on death.

Does it sound worth it? Also what would they class as accidental - I'm presuming its something like a kick or wound.

I dont currently insure.

conniegirl

Visit site
normaly it is external visable injuries. given that disposal can run to £500 easily I say it is well worth it and i will be getting some

Nicnac

Visit site
I doubt you'd get much for £75 a year - difficult to comment without seeing the small print as to what, as you rightly point out, the definition of accidental is.

Re Disposal on death, I bury mine at home unless dispatched by the hunt which includes disposal so not applicable to me.

TPO

Visit site
I looked at that too but it only covered "injuries and accidents" and excess is £165.

I couldn't see any clear cut definition of what an Injury and Accident was. It wasn't worth it to me as <touch wood> rarely needed a vet for an injury resulting from an accident, normally things that I would assume would fall under the banner of an illness. The max per claim is £1500 from what I can see and when mum's TB punctured his elbow, a qualifying accident/injury, the bill exceeded that (thankfully covered by a 5k vet fee insurance policy at the time).

Andrew657

Visit site
I'm thinking about this - as currently insure with KBIS for vet fees / but have numerous exclusions.

Am concerned about the £1500 limit as when my horse cut his chest/leg open by galloping into wire - the wound (significant) , but was only cleaned stitched bandaged .. (no scans, no xrays, no surgery) came to about £1200

Leo Walker

Visit site
its only for visible external wounds and wont cover any associated tendon or ligament injury. I dont think its worth it, but then I have insurance already and this is cheaper but offers very limited cover.

MissTyc

Visit site
This is the type of insurance I use for horses that have most body parts excluded. Catastrophe insurance is very valuable, even though it doesn't cover much. If you already KNOW you wouldn't put a horse through surgery, or wouldn't do big tests etc etc etc it;s a good compromise.

Shay

Visit site
If you don't have any access to savings or the dreaded credit card it can help - but any injury sufficiently severe to clear the £165 excess will probably also come in over the £1,500 cover limit. And watch out for limitations on the death or destruction - many cheaper policies cover only death in a catastrophic circumstace - not PTS because of age or lasting injury. For me I think the cover limitations are such that the £75 is better spent put aside to self insure.

Nudibranch

Visit site
In fairness, the accidental stuff I've had to deal with over the years has tended to come in at between 800 and 1200 a pop. One ran through a fence and severed an artery and minor tendon, another had a puncture to the sole and a third was unexplained acute lameness but all 3 had a few visits and plenty of stitching/bandaging/couple of x rays, etc. Though vet does chuck in freebies too. Would be worth claiming for and would be covered with this. If it's only £75 a year, I'd say it's worth it.

Leo Walker

Visit site
In fairness, the accidental stuff I've had to deal with over the years has tended to come in at between 800 and 1200 a pop. One ran through a fence and severed an artery and minor tendon, another had a puncture to the sole and a third was unexplained acute lameness but all 3 had a few visits and plenty of stitching/bandaging/couple of x rays, etc. Though vet does chuck in freebies too. Would be worth claiming for and would be covered with this. If it's only £75 a year, I'd say it's worth it.
~

Only the severed artery and the puncture would be covered. They wont cover tendons etc and there has to be a visible external injury, so it is very limited

tankgirl1

Visit site
Check the small print. There is (or was a couple of years ago) at least one underwriter who doesn't cover fence injuries but I can't remember who it was

Mahoganybay

Visit site
I have the Harry Hall One Club Insurance for Public Liability & Personal Injury so was very interested to hear about the vet fee cover.

I rang Harry Hall to clarify what the policy covered, it is external injury only. So something that can be physically seen, a cut etc. You can only claim twice in a year for the £1500 and the excess is indeed £165 per claim.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
It doesn't cover disposal, thats an optional extra payment. I was checking it out yesterday. You also have to already be a member of their club to buy it, and there are membership fees for that.

indie1282

Visit site
It doesn't cover disposal, thats an optional extra payment. I was checking it out yesterday. You also have to already be a member of their club to buy it, and there are membership fees for that.

Good spot - I didnt notice the disposal fees were extra! I am a member of their One Club but probably wont buy in to this insurance.

vhf

Visit site
Has anyone used
https://www.worldhorsewelfare.org/ChampionPlus-with-Veterinary

It looks a not too bad addition to self-insuring, and I like the charity, but I am struggling to clarify the exact classes of use covered. It says the main exclusions are racing/professional use etc, but it seems you have to write in to get the Master Policy document :/

I've just gone for this - I just read what was available online though, because "chance would be a fine thing" at the moment so far as competing goes. The £50 a month I'm saving on premiums is going into "Horse Rainy Day" savings. I've got one in mid/late teens, and one with exclusions, so it made sense!

Horse2018

Visit site
That’s cheap compared to mine I live in Ireland and it cost me €230 for the same cover the only difference is that I get her buying price when she dies.