Horse Insurance Query

Clannad48

Visit site
I currently have one of our horses insured and is due for renewal at the end of December. I have today received a letter from the company informing me that my current insurer has ceased writing new and renewal business. So any recommendations - the horse is out on long term loan, will be 17 in January and only used for hacking.

Lintel

Visit site
I have heard good things about animal friends and of course NFU is very good.. But this year I decided to save up my money instead of pay ridiculous amounts of money for my boy that I mainly hack!

asmp

Visit site
Not much help but I gave up insuring last year when mine turned 17 as there were too many exclusions. I put the money in a savings account and have BHS membership for public liability.

I used to use Shearwater as they are brokers and will help you find the best deal (I.e. Increase excess to lower premiums)

Abi90

Visit site
I use Scottish Equestrian and the one time I've had to claim the paid out without a quibble. Also, when I cancelled due to selling a horse they paid me back the difference rather than charging me to cancel, as 4 Counties has with a previous horse.

I now steer clear of NFU after they refused to insure me because I'm in the Armed Forces. The reasons they gave were absolute rubbish (apparently they wouldn't be able to contact me...) when I complained they said that "ah yes we should have asked if that was the case" and said they would be prepared to insure my horse but only if I named every rider that could ever possibly ride him on the insurance and they added extra to the premium for the extra "risk" of insuring a horse belonging to Armed Forces personnel. How your occupation and the likelihood of a horse needing vets treatment correlates baffles me. Then they did exactly the same to a friend of mine after having been reminded by the RAF Families Federation that whilst discriminating against Armed Forces personnel is technically not illegal it is heavily frowned upon.

Shay

Visit site
SEIB, KBIS and PetPlan are all good insurers. But like others I ceased insurance other than public liability some years ago. On a young, valuable competition horse it is worthwhile. But on something older the cost is just disproportionate.