Horse insurance recommendations for oldies

tuscanyD

Visit site
You guys got any tips on who's good to go to for old horses - my mare is 19 - can you get vet fees cover at this age? I tried E&I [or is it L] theyd insure her but not for vet fees.

Also anyone want to tip me off privately about The Bad Insurer Who Shall Not Be Named In Public - I'd be grateful for the heads up.
Thanks

Sags_Deer

Somewhere in the hills in the sunny south
Visit site
i think the one mentioned is the one most people try avoid using!!! just insured my old mare with petplan (she is 25) not bothered with vets fees as only accidental external injury. cost me £77.00 for a year. if anyone knows anyone cheaper let me know!!! tbh its not worth the vets bit i mean the most a cut would cost plus stitching is 500 and would you want to put your old horse through the stress of going to hospital, well at 25 i would not be like your granny going for an op.

kirstyfk

Visit site
I have had a lot of old ponies and my parents stopped their insurance at about 18/19 as they would have ended up paying out more money than whhat the ponies were worth.

MDJO

Visit site
I found a company that gave you insurance for accidental external injuries AND ALSO did colic cover too for veteran horses. Not sure if they still do it but I insured my veteran with them for the same in 2004.
The company is called Equestrian Direct (advertisers in H&H regularly) or google it.

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Equestrian Direct do appear to be quiet fair & they pay up as I found out 2ys ago. Mo came in with a fractured splint bone, then 2wks later just after Xmas Spice was found with a broken hind leg!! I dont think they were cheaper then NFU.

jayvee

Visit site
I was with NFU for years never made any claims but last year went sky high somthing near to £600 pa from about £300pa.
I went to a broker via internet- Julie Andrews horse insurance services http://www.horseinsuranceservices.co.uk/
And she found me the best for my veteran with Scottish Equine. So now with them. I can't comment on paying up as not made a claim (yet?) But the value was excellent.
But due to being a veteran vets fees can only be claimed on accidental external injuries.
Julie was very helpful and gave an excellent service free.
Also she can find insurers who don't request a new vetting cert which many now insist on even when just changing over.

Chex

Visit site
I'm with Petplan, not covered for much now though. Because we don't know exactly how old he is, he is down as being 21 I think. It was over £30 a month till a few years ago, now its £10 a month!