Horse insurance

Michelle55

New User
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone has had the same problems that I am having claiming veterinary fees that I am having, I am insured for 5 k vet cover and remedial carrier cover on top of that, I have submitted full clinical history of the full life of the horse but every time I send invoices to insurance company the come back with a new list of questions, my vet has supplied four Seperate letters and statements and they are still asking questions, I really think this is delaying tactics to delay paying out, I am at my wits end vet is fed up with all of the questions. This is an on going insurance claim and its making me more stressed every time the horse has treatment., I will pay for the treatment with or without the insurance but I really think I am being treated appallingly by insurance company, after all I pay premium every year and this is first time I have claimed. Just wondering if it is just this insurance company or has anyone else had same problems .

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Who are you insured with? I've always found it fairly straightforward to claim. The only time we had a bit of an issue was when we lost the horse and they still wanted to proceed with opening a second claim, but even that was fixed relatively quickly in the end.

Shay

Visit site
Sounds like you might have opted for a claims service run by an organization fairly well known on here. If so - you are probably facing an uphill struggle I'm afraid.

teddypops

Visit site
No, I’ve never had any issues and I have made many claims. Ask your vet to phone them and speak to them to see if that helps, or you can call the insurance ombudsman.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I'm with NFU and they have been brilliant. Efficient, hassle free and paid the vets directly with no quibbling at all. I know others have had huge problems with another company though.

Michelle55

New User
Visit site
Who are you insured with? I've always found it fairly straightforward to claim. The only time we had a bit of an issue was when we lost the horse and they still wanted to proceed with opening a second claim, but even that was fixed relatively quickly in the end.
Shearwater equestrian insurance, when I phone them they cannot explain what they want, my vet has spoken to them and they refuse to discus claim with them ??? !!! think I will have to go through insurance ombudsman.

Louby

Visit site
I had awful trouble with another well respected Insurance Company. Not what you need when you need it most. I gave up, my mind wasnt in the right place at the time to fight when my horse was nearing being PTS but in hindsight I should have fought it. Really hope you get sorted.

Michelle55

New User
Visit site
I had awful trouble with another well respected Insurance Company. Not what you need when you need it most. I gave up, my mind wasnt in the right place at the time to fight when my horse was nearing being PTS but in hindsight I should have fought it. Really hope you get sorted.
I know what you mean, you don't need the stress that the insurance company causes, priority is the horse, it is a big rip off, they are quick enough to take the policy money off us but they are doing everything to delay paying out, I have been paid for part of treatment but really have to have a fight every time I send them an invoice, not really what you need at a very stressful time anyway, I can understand why you gave up, but I really feel like this is why they do this, to make you give up with the claim because of the hassle they cause.

pippixox

Visit site
It sounds rediculous. Why would they not talk to the vet?!
Thankfully (although they are a bit pricey) I have found kbis very good at paying out and they just needed the vet to do a simple form with very little information, excepted the claim and ever since the vets just forward invoices to them for the ongoing claim.
Not fair on you or the vets to be out of pocket when you have insured for a reason.

Louby

Visit site
Thankfully (although they are a bit pricey) I have found kbis very good at paying out and they just needed the vet to do a simple form with very little information, excepted the claim and ever since the vets just forward invoices to them for the ongoing claim.
Not fair on you or the vets to be out of pocket when you have insured for a reason.
It was kbis that I had trouble with :( I was being told one thing off one advisor, then another off another. First claim with them after being with them years. I lost everything despite letters from the vet, following treatment, my horse was pts as advised by the vet, I couldnt see him suffer whilst waiting for them to get their act together any longer. I swapped to Scottish Equestrian and havent had a problem claiming with my new horse. I think theres probably good and bad experiences for each company though.

Michelle55

New User
Visit site
Thank you all for your replies, I have just had another vet visit and was speaking to him about the insurance company problems and he has said that he is having this problem with a lot of insurance companies it is delaying tactics to stop you claiming, I am fed up with them and I a m going to speak to insurance bondsman as this claim is for a problem that will be on going for a few months and vet has already supplied statements to explain this and how he is planning the treatment.