Horse is nutter at competitions at home but a saint out?

minimex2

Visit site
Has anyone else got a horse/pony the same?

I always thought horses were meant to be better at home ....

We moved to a lovely yard that have regular competitions, but horse is a complete loon. Takes over an hour to warm up/try to calm down, wont stand still, does mini rears and goes 100 miles an hour at either jumping or dressage in same school he's perfectly behaved in the rest of time.

Take him out, he stands quitely, shows off (as in look at me) does a lovely test and jumping is spot on.

Seems a waste of moving to a yard where the plan was we didnt have to go out as much!

Anyone experienced the same?

mainpower

Visit site
Not quite the same as no competitions at my yard, but horse has extreme "Welsh" moments at home, but very well behaved at shows. I've had all the bitching about anyone can win on him, he's a clockwork ride..... I had an instructor who'd seen us out and about come to my yard for some lessons and he didnt think he was the same horse

Rosesandhorses

Visit site
My horse isn't a nutter but is much more hard work at home, he is generally not as co-operative on the flat and bashes through everything jumping. When we go out he is a complete angel- clears the fences with room to spare and does the most lovely dressage tests! I can compete at home as its a fab venue but I've stopped as its just not worth the effort for a below average version of him!

SHS161

New User
Visit site
I have one who on competition day at home just becomes a beast and won't go over anything without 3 attempts! It is a bit frustrating as the day before he will do the course/a course lovely and the same the day after the competition. We are going to a local clear round away from home for the first time on Wednesday to see if it is being at home on competition day or just me/us/him LOL! Wish me luck!

Mrs G

Visit site
My horse is the same as yours OP. He is normally the most laid-back, un-spooky horse you can imagine, but when 'home' looks and sounds different on a competition day, look out! I can almost hear him saying "this isn't right, not right at all - that doesn't belong there, and what is that doing there... And who is that...and what on earth are they doing?" As we buck, bronc and fart around the arena....