Horse is “off” but not lame (confused)

Michelle1109

Visit site
Hi all
Not sure if this is the right place but hoping to get some sane advice

My horse was “off” last night and this morning, he hasn’t shown any signs on lameness no heat no uncomfortable positions etc

His back end just wasn’t right yesterday he kept him self short in trot, after a left rein canter he did loosen up but tanked off with me on the right rein

He is 21!!!! But fit and healthy and can be very spooky at times he is still a fairly hot horse considering his age - he is of good pedegree
He wa trotted up this morning and I was told he wasn’t lame jus “off”

Can anyone give me examples if you have faced the same problem
Like I say no heat no tenderness not over compensating in walk and trot
Just “off”
Can someone explain this term in greater details ?
Please help!!

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Sounds like you might need to get the vet out for a lameness examination. He may not be lame but the vet will be able to spot any signs that he is not moving correctly and then ascertain why before carrying out any nerve blocks or further investigations. It could well be arthritis given his age and the fact he tanked off would suggest he is running from discomfort somewhere.

be positive

Visit site
I sometimes use the term "off" when they are a bit stiff for some reason and turning out or exercise allows them to loosen up, it doesn't really mean anything specific and often gets used when a horse is very slightly lame or bilaterally lame so they appear sound to the inexperienced eye, as suggested arthritis can show up like this in the early stages, horse is a bit uncomfortable and holding itself carefully rather than being obviously lame, at 21 it is fairly likely that he will have a few aches and pains so getting a vet to check may prevent it getting worse at what may be an early stage.

Michelle1109

Visit site
Thanks guys
Will be checking him again when I Get to the stable tonight and I think you could be correct ......... the devil arthritis could of final arrived :(

viceversa

Visit site
Thanks guys
Will be checking him again when I Get to the stable tonight and I think you could be correct ......... the devil arthritis could of final arrived :(

If it is arthritis, it may not be as bad as you think! He’s a good age and it may mean he needs to slow down a little, but often they are better kept in work. He may never move as freely as he once did but as long as he’s comfortable it shouldn’t matter. Definitely worth getting vet out to check though :)

Michelle1109

Visit site
Thanks all
I’m feeling the positive vibes hahahhaha!!!
I did have to retire him for our exercise tonight as he just wasn’t right and was extreamly reluctant to go forward
It could be he is jut tired .... old man syndrome ha!

Vet is booked and I’m keeping his active hours of hand Walks and paddocks

AandK

Visit site
Might be joints or could be muscle stiffness? I’d get vet to check and if no immediate issues I’d then get a physio out. My boy will feel a bit off in general if he’s due a treatment on his back (he is 21)

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Mine is like this Atm and I have remembered that my devil's claw supplement ran out a little while ago. Would anything like that be good? I'll be honest mine's had so many lameness investigations now he's 17 I went for rest a d herbal bute and he seems himself again

Michelle1109

Visit site
Mine is like this Atm and I have remembered that my devil's claw supplement ran out a little while ago. Would anything like that be good? I'll be honest mine's had so many lameness investigations now he's 17 I went for rest a d herbal bute and he seems himself again

Yes some else mention devils claw
I’ll have to see if I can’t get it here (dubai)
He is on Bute now and he rode very well today I’ve cut his hard feed but only yesterday so that wouldn’t have an impact yet I also got advice from baileys feed and they revcommened a feed with lest starch like a little cal balancer (he’s on a cool mix at the mo)
He gets cortaflex
Next week will be the tell tale when he is off the Bute
If the problem comes back then the vet will be called in
I’m hoping it’s more behaviour / feed problem - and the other day day was him just being “off” and tired

Fingers crossed

Auslander

Visit site
Yes some else mention devils claw
I’ll have to see if I can’t get it here (dubai)
He is on Bute now and he rode very well today I’ve cut his hard feed but only yesterday so that wouldn’t have an impact yet I also got advice from baileys feed and they revcommened a feed with lest starch like a little cal balancer (he’s on a cool mix at the mo)
He gets cortaflex
Next week will be the tell tale when he is off the Bute
If the problem comes back then the vet will be called in
I’m hoping it’s more behaviour / feed problem - and the other day day was him just being “off” and tired

Fingers crossed

If he went well today, after bute, that would indicate that it is pain related. You really shouldn't be riding a horse with an undiagnosed lameness on bute - if he has done something, the bute will mask the lameness, and may make the injury worse. I know he's an older horse, and will have progressively more stiff days, but as it came on quite suddenly, I'd suggest not working him until a vet has seen him - just to be on the safe side.
I have no fundamental objection to giving an older horse a bit of bute to enable it to stay in light work, and keep it mobile - but not without first finding out what's wrong.

oldie48

Visit site
If he went well today, after bute, that would indicate that it is pain related. You really shouldn't be riding a horse with an undiagnosed lameness on bute - if he has done something, the bute will mask the lameness, and may make the injury worse. I know he's an older horse, and will have progressively more stiff days, but as it came on quite suddenly, I'd suggest not working him until a vet has seen him - just to be on the safe side.
I have no fundamental objection to giving an older horse a bit of bute to enable it to stay in light work, and keep it mobile - but not without first finding out what's wrong.

Hi this was also my immediate thought, I'd want to know what I was dealing with before giving bute. My horse was "off" last year, behind the leg in walk and when asked to trot, just didn't want to. As this was completely out of character I knew there was something wrong. He had hurt his back probably pratting about in the field. My old boy had some arthritis in his hocks but it came on gradually and was more noticeable if he was ridden after being stabled overnight. There was a definite pattern, he could feel lame initially but with a slow warm up he felt better and it was obvious in canter that his near hind didn't come under quite as well as the off hind.

Michelle1109

Visit site
Hi this was also my immediate thought, I'd want to know what I was dealing with before giving bute. My horse was "off" last year, behind the leg in walk and when asked to trot, just didn't want to. As this was completely out of character I knew there was something wrong. He had hurt his back probably pratting about in the field. My old boy had some arthritis in his hocks but it came on gradually and was more noticeable if he was ridden after being stabled overnight. There was a definite pattern, he could feel lame initially but with a slow warm up he felt better and it was obvious in canter that his near hind didn't come under quite as well as the off hind.

Yup appreciate all of the above
He was ridden in a walk and a few small transitions as directed by the vet as they wanted videos (they are booked solid so advised this)
Vetvia booked - he was trotted up again and nothing is showing
But still I’m getting the vet out to give him the once over
I do believe it was stiffness in the old boy but he is my boy and I’ll be doing what ever it takes to get him comfortable again

Ps
He is still a prat and is happy as Larry
Fingers crossed it’s juat a bit of age and nothing more serious