Horse is trying to kill me..

poiuytrewq

Visit site
When being brushed, he’s always been a bit snippy I kind of do minimal grooming but since starting to moult and needing washing/brushing more he’s been pretty sharp.
This is fine, I dodge kicks and teeth at work daily but always wish I could scope them and see if there was a reason, this time it’s my own horse so I can and if there is ulcers can try and fix it for him.
So, the only reason I’m querying it is the above. He’s a good weight, good doer, is managed correctly etc. I accept he may just dislike being brushed or want to maim me (joke, I know horses don’t think like that)
My usual vet is an ambulatory practice so can scope at home but does it in conjunction with another vet. The cost is £400 to scope.
My old vets does a monthly gastroscope clinic and it’s £156.
That’s a big difference in price.
He is insured and if he needs treatment will claim, if he scopes clear though I wouldn’t bother claiming so the £156 option is best! It’s less than my excess.
Would it be super rude to go to my old vet for the diagnostic, hope it’s nothing and write £150 down to peace of mind or if he needs treatment get my new vet to do that but?! Or do I just start a claim and stick with my newer vet and accept it will effect my insurance more significantly and be a waste of a claim if it’s nothing?!
Does that all make sense ?‍

PurBee

Visit site
Is he being really bitey when you brush girth area? Moreso than usual?

my gelding didnt seem to like brushing, for years really - especially sensitive areas - and especially if near ‘armpits’ under belly...so i did think of ulcers but after weekly brushing he became ‘ok’ to brush there - i think he wasnt used to the sensation, esp. sensitive areas, instinct is to protect from ‘weird feelings’. I changed brushes to those magic ones and he likes them so now he’s loving being brushed. I havent been one to brush daily, weekly...only when theyre moulting or super muddy. Changing brushes amazingly helped.

If yours is still tetchy despite repeated exposure to brushing, esp. girth area ulcer scope sounds sensible.

I’d go for the cheaper clinic You mention - if treatment needed to activate insurance switch to new vet. Dont worry, vets know we’re going to go with best price and *shouldnt* take it personally! Id worry about a vet that does tbh - expecting loyalty from customers no matter what....its not a friggin’ marriage ?

Leandy

Visit site
I'd go to the old vet for the reasons you state, but if treatment were needed I would also use the old vet for that too. No reason why you can't use different vets for different reasons.

ITPersonnage

Visit site
PurBee's post reminded me that my mare got stroppy about being brushed at one point and I worked out it was the brush !! Too stiff for her TB coat, or it became too stiff over time (think it was probably my lack of cleaning it, I am a skanky person :)) Changed the brush and back to being the usual softy again... just a thought. As for the scoping, I'd get it done with the old vet if you need to.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
What you using to get ride if hair?

I only ask as mine are very sensitive thin skinned Arabs and they loath a lot of brushes and will take real offence, they love a good soft body brush and they are fine with the metal coat shedding tools, I can't use stiff hard brushes and for mud removal I use the metal pan scourer things they are great and just skim over hair.

They absolutely love hot clothing they look like they are in heaven, maybe try a few different things if he hates everything chances are he may be uncomfortable and a vet might be in order.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’ve tried everything, down to a lovely sheepskin mitt (in fact that go’s down worst of all!)
I’ve had him since last summer, spoke to the girl who looked after him in training and he’s always been the same apparently. I gave it a while, we always say horses like him will probably change out of racing, some do. I’ve seen some dramatic transformations but he’s pretty adamant however kind I am he's having none of it!
He isn’t happy about being touched by hand either really.
New vet has said I could ask for the scope to be video’d and sent to her/given to me but I’m not sure if that’s a bit cheeky!

PurBee

Visit site
I’ve tried everything, down to a lovely sheepskin mitt (in fact that go’s down worst of all!)
I’ve had him since last summer, spoke to the girl who looked after him in training and he’s always been the same apparently. I gave it a while, we always say horses like him will probably change out of racing, some do. I’ve seen some dramatic transformations but he’s pretty adamant however kind I am he's having none of it!
He isn’t happy about being touched by hand either really.
New vet has said I could ask for the scope to be video’d and sent to her/given to me but I’m not sure if that’s a bit cheeky!
Does he not liked being touched by hand on his back, run down his legs, neck, aside from girth/belly area?

It’s best you ask for copy of scope video, leave it at that. Then pass it to whomever you like....share it on here! Ive not seen a scope video before.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Does he not liked being touched by hand on his back, run down his legs, neck, aside from girth/belly area?

It’s best you ask for copy of scope video, leave it at that. Then pass it to whomever you like....share it on here! Ive not seen a scope video before.
He’s ok on his back, I could run my hands round anywhere apart from underneath and if grooming his flanks.
He picks up a hind leg having rugs done but I can reliably stand behind him, it’s just the brushing/scraping off.
I certainly could share it here if you’d be interested. I’ve seen a few, they are quite interesting as it’s something you can actually obviously see!

SpotsandBays

Visit site
My youngster has now decided he doesn’t like the metal shedding round thing that I use to get hair and mud off. Never had an issue until this spring! So have swapped back to the usual rubber curry and he’s much happier, so I agree with above regarding brushes! Obviously if you think more I’d going on then have diagnostics. Do you offer a haynet whilst grooming? (Just out of interest)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I would go to old vet at that price!

Mine can be fussy depending on tool used, so I employ a variety.

Yes please to a scope video. A fellow livery sent me the bursting of a strangles abscess this morning. It was great!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I would go to old vet at that price!

Mine can be fussy depending on tool used, so I employ a variety.

Yes please to a scope video. A fellow livery sent me the bursting of a strangles abscess this morning. It was great!
?I’m not sure I’d like that!

Ok, going to go old vet on Ulcer clinic day. Eugh, I hate the process.
Stabled overnight with no food or hay from 5pm. That in itself is tough enough but the other ponies will be demanding breakfast etc in the morning ?

I’ll call and book in the hope we can be first in!

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
agree it makes sense to take advantage of the old vets prices!

Also this was pretty much exactly what mine was like, just didn’t like being brushed/touched round his girth/belly and started trying to nip when I did the girth up. think most other people would have said I was mad to get him scoped and he was just being grumpy/ticklish. Got him scoped and lo and behold, grade 2-3 ulcers. He’s still sensitive and sometimes pins his ears/swishes his tail when being groomed/tacked up but 100% a happier boy

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
Go the old vet, your new vet won't take it personally! It's not much different from getting a prescription and then buying the actual meds online really. (unless you switched vets because you weren't hapy with the old one, in which case I wouldn't go back just because it was cheaper)

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
I've had two horses that disliked being groomed. Both had come from homes where grooming was not a priority and they had very tight, uncomfortable fascia throughout there body. Does he/ has he, had physio or massage? Did they mention anything?

The reason i ask is because its just one of things i throw at a new horse (physio, farrier, vet etc) and both these horses where uncomfortable with the physio touching them and she advised that i do regular grooming (I do anyway, i love grooming so was disappointed to find my new horse disliked it!) and hand massage the whole body very lightly and gradually upping the game so the fascia gets a good moving workout. It was really interesting to watch the progress of both horses and both really started to enjoy being groomed and massaged.

Last edited:

Birker2020

Visit site
When being brushed, he’s always been a bit snippy I kind of do minimal grooming but since starting to moult and needing washing/brushing more he’s been pretty sharp.
This is fine, I dodge kicks and teeth at work daily but always wish I could scope them and see if there was a reason, this time it’s my own horse so I can and if there is ulcers can try and fix it for him.
So, the only reason I’m querying it is the above. He’s a good weight, good doer, is managed correctly etc. I accept he may just dislike being brushed or want to maim me (joke, I know horses don’t think like that)
My usual vet is an ambulatory practice so can scope at home but does it in conjunction with another vet. The cost is £400 to scope.
My old vets does a monthly gastroscope clinic and it’s £156.
That’s a big difference in price.
He is insured and if he needs treatment will claim, if he scopes clear though I wouldn’t bother claiming so the £156 option is best! It’s less than my excess.
Would it be super rude to go to my old vet for the diagnostic, hope it’s nothing and write £150 down to peace of mind or if he needs treatment get my new vet to do that but?! Or do I just start a claim and stick with my newer vet and accept it will effect my insurance more significantly and be a waste of a claim if it’s nothing?!
Does that all make sense ?‍
My previous horse Rommy used to hate being brushed and would try and kick out with his back legs when I used to groom him. I used a softer brush and reprimanded him when he kicked out. He turned from fairly aggressive horse to a beautifully calm tempered horse who enjoyed being groomed after working on grooming sessions for a few weeks and getting to know me better and understanding the boundaries.

Some horses just dislike being brushed I guess just as some humans don't like physical contact. He'd had male owners previously with busy personalities. They couldn't get on with him, presumably ran out of patience and sent him back to the dealer. I think he needed a different type of owner and more of a one to one relationship as he developed into a really loving horse whom I still miss to this day.