Horse jumps differently at competition?

mj800

New User
Visit site
My horse is a been there & got the T-shirt 17 year old Connie. I’ve had him for 4 years and at home we regularly school over fences ranging from 85cm-1m - he flies them with ease. However when we go to a competition he gets far too deep into the fences, often chipping in an extra stride, still clearing them but it makes for an awkward jump and is horrid to go round a course like that. I’ve been told that it is perhaps nerves, but I’m totally sure it isn’t as I love to compete! I’ve also been told he could be nervous of a new place, but sometimes the competition is where he is stabled so he’s used to the arena...

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

be positive

Visit site
There are numerous reasons why he might be different and you really need someone that can see him and you to help find the cause, it could be physical that he is getting older and something is starting to be uncomfortable when under a bit more pressure at a competition, otherwise my starting list list would be.

The related distances are different to what you use at home, if you don't train over related distances that in itself can be an issue and you may need to be training in a more constructive way.

You don't set the canter up as well when competing so he cannot jump so easily out of his natural stride, if jumping at home they often get away with a less than ideal canter, this is a very common problem and one that can be fairly easily addressed.

Do you jump a good variety of fences and use fillers, fillers can make even the boldest back off and lose the canter they need to jump well.

Nerves can play a part, most horses do not perform as well competing as they do at home, there are exceptions, so ensure he is relaxed, warmed up properly and jumping the warm up fences really confidently before entering the ring but do not over jump so he is tired before he gets in to jump, it can be a fine line with some keeping them interested and fresh but doing enough that they are focused.

There can be many other reasons, or a combination of several so the best approach would be to find a good trainer to help you.

Carrottom

Visit site
Do you school over a full course? The close proximity of other fences can put some horses off. You don't need to jump all the fences but have the whole course set up in the arena.

Shay

Visit site
I think BP has pretty much covered it. Even if you love to compete and are not nervous at all you might well be excitied or feeling competitive causing you to ride him differently than you would when it doesn't matter. You need soemone - ideally an instructor - on the ground to see what is happening.

MissP

Visit site
Try aiming for a slightly bigger canter and slightly loser rein contact - my guess is you are holding him into the jump a little more in competitions than at home. We often inadvertently 'turn up the dial' in competitions