Horse keeps doing 'extended' trot, also loss of performance

billylula

Visit site
I've noticed that my daughter's horse now does an 'extended' trot whenever he trots, including when he is not ridden and trotting around the field - like a stiff, extended trot. He's also started refusing jumps. No lameness, can still lunge him without any sign of lameness although he is also putting his nose almost to the floor while being lunged which is a new thing. Just wondered if this was a sign of something that I might have missed. Thank you.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I would get a vet to assess. What might look like soundness to the layperson might not look like soundness to the vet. Best to pick it up now whilst its at a relatively early stage so treatment time will be reduced as well as costs at a later date. I'd say if I were to hazard a guess that the horse finds it easier to move in this way which is why he is doing it so much.

Mine used to do a 2 beat pace walk instead of a normal 4 beat prior to being diagnosed with neck arthritis because she used to find it easier to move along this way, less tiring I guess, easier to cover the ground and less sore for certain muscles she was trying to avoid aggravating. She still does it now but I think its become an ingrained thing, she doesn't do it going out on a hack although she still strides out, but on the way back her speed in walk is very impressive although she's happy to stop for a mouthful of grass enroute to the yard.

Stretching down would seem like trying to relieve some aching muscles, possibly neck? But that's just a guess, I'm not a vet, best ring one and arrange for them to come out. Refusing jumps doesn't suddenly come on unless the horse has suddenly had a loss of confidence after a bad fall or something similar. It would come on because jumping is causing it pain. It is therefore less painful to stop. Or that would be my interpretation.

Last edited:

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
My horse who has bone spavin in both hocks will do an exaggerated trot - with his forelegs only. Hard to describe but it looks like the forelegs are doing the brunt of the work while the hind legs are doing little. He also goes with his nose on the floor if he can - my assumption being that doing this somehow takes the weight off his hocks. It was hard to tell anything watching him go round the school but I then used the slo mo video on my phone and could see what was going on.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I think if you ever notice something out of the ordinary, or something that has changed from usual, then it should be investigated and the first point of call is always the vet, as they have a whole body approach. You can then ask if a physiotherapist or other type of body worker would be appropriate.

Too many times there is that phrase "with hindsight" - it has happened to me! Things that with hindsight started to develop but weren't noticed straight away and led on to other things ...……...………….

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
my assumption being that doing this somehow takes the weight off his hocks. It was hard to tell anything watching him go round the school but I then used the slo mo video on my phone and could see what was going on.
You are right, he is pulling himself along, instead of pushing because it used to hurt his hocks. Either that or he'd got used to that way of going and now it doesn't hurt but the muscles have been built up over a period of time and to do anything else then feels uncomfortable and not 'quite right' lol.

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
You are right, he is pulling himself along, instead of pushing because it used to hurt his hocks. Either that or he'd got used to that way of going and now it doesn't hurt but the muscles have been built up over a period of time and to do anything else then feels uncomfortable and not 'quite right' lol.

Now with treatment and lots of work thankfully my bone spavin horse is more uphill and using his back legs more effectively. The muscle changes have been significant too. He used to have very round very flabby quarters and was croup high. He is now more of a normal shape and the quarters are showing some lovely muscle tone!