Horse laundrette

Bramley95

Visit site
Hello,

It may just be a pipe dream (pardon the pun) but i am investigating the possibility of setting up and equine laundrette, machines and dryers for the sole purpose of washing grubby horse stuff. There would also be items for sale and thinking about getting a leatherworker and rug repair person in also.
I was just wondering what people would think of a self service rug wash?? (i would also do service washes) - would anyone use it?

Any feedback would be fab
Cheers :)

arlosmum

Visit site
Well I think it sounds a great idea.
Unfortunately I see you are in Launceston so too far for me to nip round with my rugs.
Maybe in the future you will have a chain of horse launderettes, or a franchise business.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Archangel

Visit site
I think it is a great idea. Would be useful for dog owners too as a lot of launderettes don't allow animal stuff in their machines.

Pity you are in Cornwall - let me know when you have a chain of horse launderettes!

kirstie

Visit site
I would love that if it were in my area, sounds like a great idea. I'd like to be able to wash my small bits at low cost and then for the bnigger stuff, like t/o's, reproofing and repairs it would be great for a service available. I sent my rugs to be washed and 2x small repairs nealry 3 weeks ago with the promise they would be back in 4 days and I am still waiting...
Good luck.

oldie48

Visit site
I've got a washer in the stables as my OH dislikes having hairy underwear! It will take saddle pads, bandages and thinnish rugs but I'm still stuck with the heavier stuff. So yes, If I could pop in and do a quick wash i'd definitely use an equine launderette but it would need to offer repairs and reproofing as well as a DIY wash.

Tess Love

Visit site
If you opened it up to other muddy type hobbies and perhaps sold some rugs and bits and pieces and importantly are in the right location then it could work really well. I'd use one if local and reasonably priced. Good luck with your venture.

Feathery Feet

New User
Visit site
I think this is a great idea OP. I have often thought of a better service to offer than ones you see advertised where basically somebody takes your rugs away for ages & charges you a lot. (I know some do a reasonable turn around time but round here they don't). Obviously it could be opened up to fisherman etc. Would love to do something like this in Essex.

turnbuckle

Visit site
You may be on to something...

But some devils advocate thoughts:

It's going to be bumpily seasonal.

How long does a wash take? Will people have time to sit around?

Rug repair would be good, but the repairer will have to be sitting around, so will need to be able to do other stuff in slack time.

Poster above reckons £10 is a rip-off. But I have an idea normal l'rettes charge £3 a wash. may be wrong, but they are running at pretty steady capacity - so is the saving that huge?

Do feel free to shoot these down.

lucie1984

Visit site
As a launderette owner and as I have a husband who fixes the machines that you would need. We don't allow people to wash their rugs in our shop manly because people have to wash their clothes and they wouldn't want them covered in hair! I do however have some of those washing bags that you can put rugs inside and I wash most of my stable rugs in those!
The main thing you need to remember is most rugs won't be able to be dried, you will find that most rug washing people hang the rugs to dry (which is why they take so long!) It is a great idea in theory though... Be careful you look at the full cost of gas / electric as it isn't that cheap and how much cheaper will you actually be than a rug washing company...
It is not a business that makes you a millionaire!

PollyP99

Visit site
As on other thread our local launderette has a large machine dedicated to washing animal items so this is already out there.