Horse leg hair is falling out in clumps?

Traveller02

New User
Visit site
Hi, I have a old 30yr. old retired Quarter Horse/ Morgan cross Mare, who has a crazy thick winter coat- ( She does not have any health issues the vet ran a whole bunch of blood work last season she has no Cushing's Disease either. ) She is getting over some mud fever " Scratches" that she gets every spring because of the mud... But this is the first time I noticed her losing the hair on the back of all 4 legs in clumps it's from her pasterns to her "armpits"... She doesn't act like it hurts her, she is not itchy, and when the hair falls out or pulls out in clumps there is smooth skin with a whole bunch of new "baby" smooth hair growing underneath.
She does have very very thick coat on her legs... Could this have something to do with her shedding because it's spring? It's been a very wet year. Or is it normal with mud fever? Should I be concerned??

Any advice would be very helpful!
Thank you. :)

soloequestrian

Visit site
I've found with mine that as they get older they tend to shed in patches rather than gradually all over. None of mine have reached the grand old age of yours either! When my mare got to 20 or so she ended up with a bare bum one year because of the way her coat came out. If there is no irritation I would just roll with it!

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Since coming to a yard on heavy clay, the mud was burning the hair off their legs. Like concrete does, this mud burns. I used to be able to just brush off dry mud on previous yards, but here, unless their legs are washed off, they suffer with mud fever and loss of hair.

Auslander

Visit site
My horse sheds his legs like that - he looks like he's had his legs clipped out while his body is still hairy in spring. I don't worry about it, as the skin is healthy, and he has nice summer hair underneath

ihatework

Visit site
I’ve had a couple over the years that shed their leg hair like that. It’s actually really therapeutic plucking their legs 😂