Horse living out - different rug at night or same?

viceversa

Visit site
Due to moving onto my newly rented paddock before managing to finish building my stables, my horse is living out for the moment. This is new to me as he's been in at night for the past few years, however he is happy as he has grass to eat which is a novelty for him!
In this situation would you put a lighter rug on in the day or not? I'm currently adding a liner underneath his rug at night and removing it in the morning as I'm used to changing his rug at night but not sure if it's necessary. It's currently 3-5 deg at night here and 9-12 deg in day, what do you think?? He is fully clipped and he is a cob. Thanks!

Jo1987

Visit site
Yes this time of year I seem to be doing nothing but changing rugs! My cob is in a lightweight in the day and a 100g overnight currently.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I do. My boy has just started stopping out overnight and I change his rug morning and evening. We are almost down to no rug in the day and a lw at night. I also think it helps to avoid any rubs.

meleeka

Visit site
Same here. The night temperatures are very different to daytime ones at the moment. If someone can't change rugs for whatever reason I'd advise to rug for daytime temperatures. Better to be a bit chilly at night than boiling hot when the sun comes out.

viceversa

Visit site
Thanks all, at least I know I'm not just making unnecessary work for myself lol! Perhaps when the temp is staying within 5 deg or so I will leave the same one on.

tashcat

Visit site
Hadn't left one out 24/7 for years now, but did often not change rugs unless there was a big temp change. As long as he's not too hot its not the end of the world if you can't always swap imo.

Annagain

Visit site
I haven't started doing it yet, but considering how warm it is here today will probably start removing his liner in the daytime so he'll be wearing 100g in the day and 200g overnight.

It really feels like we've turned a corner this week, a bright sunny day that is actually warm too. :)

Antw23uk

Visit site
I want to say no because I'm not that fussy (no offence) but actually for a few days this week I have done rain sheets during the day, 100g at night ... apart from last night when I left them in the rain/ no fill sheets. I will play it by here, if it gets too cold I will swap again but for now they can just be in the no fills.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I'm always changing rugs. This year there have been some unseasonably mild and even warm days so I've even had rugs off during the day and then middleweights on at night.

Enfys

Visit site
Depends totally on the temperature, and the horse itself.

I chop and change blankets all the time, still sub zero here even during the day, mainly a 350 full neck with a 150, 250 or 300 on top at night. Just depends, it's minus sodding cold here right now, with an evil lazy wind, she's still got 2 blankets on now at 2pm and is neither hot not cold. I am so pleased she is right outside the door.

Boulty

Visit site
In an ideal situation then yes I'd be doing as you are and changing the rug weight but I also wouldn't beat yourself up if there are days when you're not able to as unless you're somewhere exposed it's not dropping THAT horrendously on a night now and it's not tending to get boiling during the day either. I suspect it will start to warm up soon and you'll either be able to just opt for the lighter rug / even think about taking it off.

Corbie

Visit site
Would you put an extra layer on at night if you had to live outside? I guess yes so I think you are doing the right thing here. 😊

AandK

Visit site
Would you put an extra layer on at night if you had to live outside? I guess yes so I think you are doing the right thing here. ��

But we don't regulate our temperature in the same way a horse does, so just because you might put lots of layers on, doesn't mean a horse needs lots of layers too.

My two horses live out 24/7/365 (one fully clipped), and I don't change rugs unless there is a large difference in day and night temps. It's getting to that time of year where temps vary quite a lot (yesterday and last night for example) so I do a bit more chopping and changing. I know my clipped horse is a hot horse, so not to put too many rugs on unless v cold. The other is retired and not clipped so have to make sure she doesn't get too warm during the day at this time of year as she is still rather hairy!

pansymouse

Visit site
Good lord no, mine is a 24yo TBx with a chaser clip out 24/7 and she's spent most of the winter in a 70g rug. She perfectly capable of effectively regulating her body temperature. In my option over heating a horse is far more of a welfare issue that it occasionally getting a bit cold. I check her temperature and the weather forecast every day and adjust her rugging accordingly.

TheMule

Visit site
I hate this time of the year, spend my life checking weather apps and dashing around putting rugs on/taking rugs off. They're spending the night rugless as it's so mild here, but I'll be worrying about them (needlesly, they all have good coats and nice sheltered grassy fields)